St Johnstone v Motherwell 12/11/2022

SteelmaninOZ

2 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Decent point after that run, but if Utd win tonight,  we'll have been  drawn closer to the bottom again. Other results kept us in the top 6 last season, but I wouldn't bet on them going our way this time round.

Therein lies the difference. This season we're relying on other results to keep us in the top 10 not the top 6...

Neither team had the cutting edge needed to win, and we could have nicked it with a better final ball after getting into some good positions. Anyone saying St Johnstone we're better than us is just looking for something to piss their pants about.

I thought we worked hard and defended well. I can only think of slattery's brain fart as a legit chance after they scored. We learned our lesson from previous games and made sure we broke up play when needed. It was funny hearing StJ fans of all people complaining about our robust play. Most of the team were dead on their feet during injury time, and the break couldn't come soon enough.

That was moults first 90 mins in a long time, and he was chasing lost causes to the end and worked his arse off, and he and KVV almost forced something from that. He was also pretty good on the ball when he had it. However, like Van Veen, he was being dragged deep to get on the ball too often.

God do we need some pace though.

2 minutes ago, ML1 said:

Board won a watch getting away with putting an acadamy coach in charge of the first team and signing someone that has barely had his boots on in  the past 4 years , the clapping seals just love to be thrown a Claret and Amber fish

Sadly true. Moult, like McFadden is one of my all time favourite Motherwell players from his first spell with us and like Faddy I was excited to see him back, but hoping that he would be fit enough to actually make a meaningful contribution. 

The sad reality is that he has been here over two months, has started one game (today) and contributed very little when he has actually made an appearance. His only goal came from a penalty.

As I said he still shows flashes of his old self and he clearly has ability, but he is done.

1 minute ago, real dosser said:

He has had the ball in the net on another 2 occasions only to be disallowed. Not bad for someone who is f****d  in the time he had on the pitch. 

I know that. But I also know that he has been here since September and is still nowhere near the required fitness that we need to make a meaningful contribution.

Like others have said he worked his arse off today, his effort isn’t in question but sadly he just doesn’t have the fitness, the endurance to do what we need him to do anymore.

Relieved tonight.  Good to get a minimal of a point today.  Need some level of confidence to be restored.   A very interesting league and not much in it from 5th-12th. 

I wouldn't write Moult off . There are risks and ifs/buts/maybes.  Not too different from when Uncle Phil returned to us, recognised as quality but had a few years of awful injuries.  Moult needs time and if (and it's a big if) can stay injury free we'll benefit.  For me it's worth a risk. 

Hoping we get some decent recovery time in and line up a couple of centre halves for the window. 

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

Not too different from when Uncle Phil returned to us, recognised as quality but had a few years of awful injuries. 

They are different types of players though. Phil O’Donnell was able to adapt to being a kind of holding midfielder or lynchpin type middle player and that eventually came good for him and us. He was never going to be the energetic box to box player that he had been in his first spell but it was clear that he was able to fit into his new role in that team.

It’s different for a player like Moult who is a striker and a goalscorer by nature. He relies on his fitness and his instinct and from what we’ve seen so far he just doesn’t have that anymore.

4 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

It’s different for a player like Moult who is a striker and a goalscorer by nature. He relies on his fitness and his instinct and from what we’ve seen so far he just doesn’t have that anymore.

I didn't see the game today but I think Moult can still play in a 4-4-2.  

Any other formation probably not.

If you were to isolate Moult's involvements today you are easily talking a combined 15 occasions of fouling or losing possesion. 

It was a decent display overall other than our cutting edge around their box which was poor as usual. Even if it has been frustrating watching us this season I'd still take Hammell's football over the spoiling tactics Callum Davidson coaches into his players. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I didn't see the game today but I think Moult can still play in a 4-4-2.  

Any other formation probably not.

7 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Moult will be fine when he gets enough minutes under his belt. Flashes of his old self were there for all to see today. Chat of him being done are from the people who thought Higdon was obese or think we will be relegated every single season. 

I hope you’re both right about Moult, but so far the signs aren’t good.

29 minutes ago, MJC_mkII said:

They are different types of players though. Phil O’Donnell was able to adapt to being a kind of holding midfielder or lynchpin type middle player and that eventually came good for him and us. He was never going to be the energetic box to box player that he had been in his first spell but it was clear that he was able to fit into his new role in that team.

completely agree about the different players.  

Was more thinking it took P'OD a good few months  to get back and up to speed.   It was really in his 2nd season back when we got the best from him.      

Moult pre us only played c15 games for last 3 seasons.  He'll need time to get back to speed. Never guaranteed that he will but the guy needs a lot more game time before he'll be back up to speed. 

• Like 1

Just now, wellsince75 said:

complete agree about the different players.  

Was more thinking it took P'OD a good few months  to get back and up to speed.   Then he had 2 very good seasons playing a lot of footy.    

Moult pre us only played c15 games for last 3 seasons.  He'll need time to get back to speed. Never guaranteed that he will but the guy needs a lot more game time before he'll be back up to speed. 

Well let’s hope so. He clearly still has ability and his workrate is first class but his injury record and fitness are the big concern.

Sorry but Moult is a wage that could have been spent of a fit player we will get 90 mins out of week in week out.

Nothing is certain in football but looking to get him back was utterly madness considering his injury record same went for Aaron's.

But this mess of a season lays firmly with the board  for the utter  mess throwing in a rookie manager they knew wouldn't turn the job down after two weeks of interviews,beyond embarrassing transfer window and not getting an experienced number two in to help Hammel out.

When I am sitting thinking man I wish Grimmy was still here running about the pitch not doing much but just running about that's how bad we are.

If medals was to be handed out right now for lack of fight and Football basics we get 1st,2nd and 3rd.

Only saving grace two home games when they come back winnable games roll on St Mirren and Killie!COYW.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Sorry but Moult is a wage that could have been spent of a fit player we will get 90 mins out of week in week out.

Nothing is certain in football but looking to get him back was utterly madness considering his injury record same went for Aaron's.

But this mess of a season lays firmly with the board  for the utter  mess throwing in a rookie manager they knew wouldn't turn the job down after two weeks of interviews,beyond embarrassing transfer window and not getting an experienced number two in to help Hammel out.

When I am sitting thinking man I wish Grimmy was still here running about the pitch not doing much but just running about that's how bad we are.

If medals was to be handed out right now for lack of fight and Football basics we get 1st,2nd and 3rd.

Only saving grace two home games when they come back winnable games roll on St Mirren and Killie!COYW.

I take it you wee not at the game today!

I thought Moult had a good game, he had one moment of his old self when he managed to beat a couple of St Johnstone defenders in the box and unfortunately his cross/pass was missed by everyone.

4 minutes ago, middleeastdave said:

I take it you wee not at the game today!

I thought Moult had a good game, he had one moment of his old self when he managed to beat a couple of St Johnstone defenders in the box and unfortunately his cross/pass was missed by everyone.

We needed that Moult 2 months ago and needed him every week since then sadly If we had a game this Tuesday/Wednesday would he be able to play another 90mins?Bet my house on no.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ppower said:

It's not all about the defence. The midfield don't track back and pick up players. That's the problem. The neither support the forwards or protect the back four.

I actually think the midfield is the biggest problem. No ball winners, no pace, tackling is alien to them .. the midfield is absolutely garbage therefore an average defence is constantly exposed and the forwards get bugger all supply. How the fuck McKinstry got player of the month is beyond me an absolute lightweight who creates fuck all and cant tackle.

3 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

I honestly don't see where you are getting they were better than us, a draw the right result

They played the better football but created fuck all so I agree a draw was a fair result. We just booted the ball whatever way we were facing St Johnstone tried to pass the ball and use the wide spaces.