Rangers v Motherwell 28/12/2022

SteelmaninOZ

Part of me thinks that this represents a game which will have little or no bearing on the rest of our season. Indeed,it could even be argued that a defeat would not be a bad result as the longer they think that they are still in with a chance of catching Celtic, the more likely they are not to drop points against our main rivals.

Having said that, all logic and deep thinking put to one side, I hate them so a Motherwell win would be just what the doctor ordered ( I have the flu).

Dont see us getting anything from this one on our current run of form. Rangers havent been great recently, but they have managed to grind out results and have home advantage here. If we get out of it with a 2-0 reverse we will have done well.

Expecting the usual defeat against this mob

Happy Faddy day , 20 years ago today we were just about to kick off and get our last ever league win against Oldco/Newco

Of course we did draw twice here last season , and would take a draw right now , more realistically though 3-1 defeat 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Expecting the usual defeat against this mob

Happy Faddy day , 20 years ago today we were just about to kick off and get our last ever league win against Oldco/Newco

Of course we did draw twice here last season , and would take a draw right now , more realistically though 3-1 defeat 

I’ve still got that full game recorded on a VHS tape though I’ve got nothing to play it on these days.

I don’t think there would have been a Motherwell fan who would have believed it if someone had said after that game that we would be sitting 20 years later still waiting for our next league win against them. It would perhaps have been even less believable if someone had said that our next win against them would have been against their ‘new club’ in a relegation playoff where we beat them to consign them to another year in the lower leagues.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

I’ve still got that full game recorded on a VHS tape though I’ve got nothing to play it on these days.

I don’t think there would have been a Motherwell fan who would have believed it if someone had said after that game that we would be sitting 20 years later still waiting for our next league win against them. It would perhaps have been even less believable if someone had said that our next win against them would have been against their ‘new club’ in a relegation playoff where we beat them to consign them to another year in the lower leagues.

Was a great day , could have done the double against them that season as well if Clarkson had put that chance away to put us 3-1 up at Hampden 

Nothing beats the feeling in recent years of those two play off games though for me , we sickened them and some have never forgiven us since 

• Thanks 1

The playoffs were by far our most significant results in the last two decades and more. Had we lost them and been relegated, to Rangers, led by Stuart McCall, then it would have been gut wrenching and difficult to recover from as we were still in the transition period of Dempster leaving, Burrows promotion, the Well Society just taking off. Relegation at that point could have been very damaging to our future as a club.

But it all worked out well.

20 years today since we last beat this mob in a league game, sadly I can't see that changing tomorrow. The performances under Beale haven't been particularly good but they have managed to dig out three wins from three since he took over, you can't help but feel we will make them look like Brazil. Not that we are guaranteed points against the likes of Livingston, Hibs, County etc but when we get this midweek game over with we don't have to play an Old Firm side again until late March so the run of fixtures look better.

On 12/26/2022 at 5:48 PM, Stevie73 said:

Think we need to forget about this game and try and finish 90 with no injuries, the three following games are massive, players then need to step up and give us 9 points we need to get us up the table.

My thoughts exactly. No red cards, no injuries and squad rotation as far as our very limited resources allow eg use of subs. Damage limitation and focus on the Livingston game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

My thoughts exactly. No red cards, no injuries and squad rotation as far as our very limited resources allow eg use of subs. Damage limitation and focus on the Livingston game. 

Yep I have written this game off. I know that's not the attitude to have but I have no positive vibes 

I have no faith in us at the back,so don't see us getting anything from this,hopefully we can make enough of a game of it though that it doesn't impact on the confidence too much.we really need to start finding some consistency and put more points on the board,the livi game could take on even more importance if other results go against us tonight.

The sad thing is they are defo going to score, they will have a vast amount of chances as well as our one or two gifts throughout the 90 mins, so I means realistically we have to score two or more to win game, as someone posted earlier, flip the subs on keep everyone injury free and on to the next three super important games, sounds defeatist but that’s the life of a Well fan at the moment