Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

We have went from a great 3pts to "aye but we played rotten", the points was the priority.

I don't think kettlewell is the long term solution as I think a couple of bad results and folk will be lik ",aye..told ye so"

However what I will say is he spoke very well, he tweaked the formation to balance the opposition and he was animated on touchline and had more of an idea than Hammell who looked like a rabbit in headlights on the touchline.

At this moment in time I am not expecting flowing silky football. We need points and to move up the table so deal with that part first. If Kettlewell can get us on a run then we all be smiling. I would rather have him than Holloway which just looks like a disaster waiting to happen.

Grant McCann would be my choice as a decent record down south and hopefully lots of contacts. I know I can hear folk comparing him to Alexander but we have no idea what style of football he would bring.

COYW

Watched a few interviews with McCann and been impressed how he comes across doesnt shirk about pulling up players,not shy calling them embarrassing and threating with shipping them out on loan.

Would have to be on a long term contract that might be the stumbling block don't think the board will be offering any of them soon.

3 hours ago, ppower said:

I can't believe people are touting Kettlewell because he won one of the worst games of football I have seen. With our incompetent board that's the road they are going down.  Prediction. Kettlewell announced as next manager. Cheap option again. Check my posts when Hammell was appointed. I said he was the wrong choice and Kettlewell will once again be the wrong choice.

Do you have a right choice?

• Like 1

Hopefully the singing kettle will keep us on the boil until the next permanent manager is appointed. If he keeps picking up points, then he could well be that man.

Those expecting any form of silky-football between now and the end of the season may want to find a new wee hobby to keep them busy on match days. Those attending should bring wee plastic bags for the previously referred to dog shite.

And talking of shite, in aboot the Hertz lads.

• Haha 1

I was in a meeting with my colleagues down south today and one supports Peterborough. He didn’t rate McCann as a manager and said their fans slaughtered him every week. So I’m not sure why so many here have a high opinion of him? I’d never heard of the guy.

let’s face it, it’s absolute pot luck in our position when appointing a manager? We might get lucky and get a manager that just fits the club and he gets a bit of success. McCall fitted for a while and he had been a resounding failure elsewhere, similar to Robinson for a period. I can’t really ever remembering a manager that fitted straight away and was loved apart from Davie Hay. We have rose tinted specs for wee Tommy as well. His still of football would make your eyes bleed. Duff signings every year, palmed off cast offs from his brother. His success really came from a bit of luck getting cooper who changed everything for me about the way we played, Bobby russell to an extent too.

Whoever gets it, kettlewell, McCann, hughes….. whoever…. It’s a lot to do with luck if they are a success or not. We can’t really judge who will be good or sh1t… 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fizoxy said:

However, it's been about 40 years since we brought in a manager with top flight management experience in Scotland (not counting McGhee's second go), and only Craig Brown with any Scottish experience going back to McClean, so it's not something we tend to put much stock in as a club, and that pre-dates our current board.

Aye and during that period, just look at the wahoos we appointed that came under that category:

Kampman, Gannon, Baraclough, Alexander.

I get chills just thinking about this lot.

Up until Tommy McLean left in 1994, we had only had 7 managers which equates to about 1 every 12 years. Since then, excluding caretakers, we’ve had 15 which equates to about 1 every 2 years. IMO that screams volumes as to why we are where we are as a club. No continuity!

I don’t think we can afford another screw-up. The club must now take time to ensure that whoever they appoint really wants to come to the club and stay with a view to the longer term.

That’s why I maintain we should appoint someone until the end of the current season and then re-assess the situation at that time.

19 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Up until Tommy McLean left in 1994, we had only had 7 managers which equates to about 1 every 12 years. Since then, excluding caretakers, we’ve had 15 which equates to about 1 every 2 years. IMO that screams volumes as to why we are where we are as a club. No continuity!

I don’t think we can afford another screw-up. The club must now take time to ensure that whoever they appoint really wants to come to the club and stay with a view to the longer term.

That’s why I maintain we should appoint someone until the end of the current season and then re-assess the situation at that time.

If that is the case surely it would be Kettlewell then we look for a manager for the new season either for premiership or championship football.

1 hour ago, El Grew said:

Football has  changed utterly since then.

Every club will have a similar stat re managers.

Bosman, player power and the amount of money in the game plays a large part in manager turnover.

5 hours ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Agree 100%

can’t believe the clamour off the back of one game. Where I thought the football was utter dug shite. Only thing I saw that was missing from under hammells last few games was a bit of fight .

beat off hearts this weekend and I suspect the furore around kettlewell will soon dampen 

Not just your standard " dug sh*the" , but "utter dug sh*the" , nothing like exaggeration .

Guys remit was to win the game and get 3 vital points, simmer down

8 hours ago, ppower said:

I can't believe people are touting Kettlewell because he won one of the worst games of football I have seen. With our incompetent board that's the road they are going down.  Prediction. Kettlewell announced as next manager. Cheap option again. Check my posts when Hammell was appointed. I said he was the wrong choice and Kettlewell will once again be the wrong choice.

I've seen the "cheap option again" patter trotted out a few times now, with Kettlewell and Hammell before him. 

Here's my question. What does that mean? I can understand fans saying that when it's a club owned by a rich individual or whatever, and they're not keen on throwing away millions on a manager, but that's not where we're at.

What benefit would the board draw from sacrificing the right candidate to save a few quid? Why would we go for "the cheap option?"

• Like 1

I don't really see many posts "touting" Kettlewell".

What I do see are posts saying that he has identified where our problems lie and he comes across very well in interviews and puts his points over honestly in language that ordinary punters understand without the usual trotted out clichés. That in itself is a welcome change from what we've had in the last few years.

41 minutes ago, El Grew said:

I think that's just a modern football thing rather than an indication of instability at a club. Before Alex Miller in 1983, St Mirren had 8 managers, including him they've since had 18 or 19. I'm guessing a few other clubs would be similar...

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, David said:

I've seen the "cheap option again" patter trotted out a few times now, with Kettlewell and Hammell before him. 

Here's my question. What does that mean? I can understand fans saying that when it's a club owned by a rich individual or whatever, and they're not keen on throwing away millions on a manager, but that's not where we're at.

What benefit would the board draw from sacrificing the right candidate to save a few quid? Why would we go for "the cheap option?"

I think by cheap option people mean affordable option. This is maybe the point you are making. 

Jack Ross has been spooked by something and if it is wages then it gives us an idea as to the market we are working in.  

As a mindless and wild conspiracy theory however, Ross could have been persuaded by Alan Burrows that he is under serious consideration for Aberdeen. I suppose this highlights the compromising situation than AB finds himself in just now. Hand tied for two jobs.

As a complete guess, I would think we are closer to the Ian Murray, Kettlewell, McPake market than the Holloway, Ross, McCann one. I think opting for Hammell in the summer showed this. It was a decision influenced by considerable financial constraints.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 'WellMagic! said:

For a start, the formation was different. 

Pretty sure hammell tried 3 at the back as well

also sure he played vv and obike up top last weekend and pretty sure he has played a midfield of Goss/spittal/deano before and got battered for it 

i would still put my house on kettlewell getting it until end of season mind you 

10 minutes ago, Dossertillidie2 said:

Pretty sure hammell tried 3 at the back as well

also sure he played vv and obike up top last weekend and pretty sure he has played a midfield of Goss/spittal/deano before and got battered for it 

i would still put my house on kettlewell getting it until end of season mind you 

Hammell had VV playing wide left last weekend, was deffo not 2 up top. He only went through the middle when Obika got subbed at HT.

Also, to my knowledge he only went 3 at the back at Pittodrie and O’Donnell was one of them i.e destined to fail

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Football has  changed utterly since then.

Every club will have a similar stat re managers.

Bosman, player power and the amount of money in the game plays a large part in manager turnover.

Totally, nowadays if a manager is any good a bigger team will take him and if he’s poor we get rid of him. 

1 minute ago, Stuwell2 said:

Totally, nowadays if a manager is any good a bigger team will take him and if he’s poor we get rid of him. 

I used to be involved with a local Junior (now WOSL) team and the old president who had been there for decades and must have seen 20 odd managers come and go once told me that as soon as he appointed a manager the first thing he did was start looking for another one.

6 minutes ago, santheman said:

I used to be involved with a local Junior (now WOSL) team and the old president who had been there for decades and must have seen 20 odd managers come and go once told me that as soon as he appointed a manager the first thing he did was start looking for another one.

That’s good planning if you ask me 

Kettlewell strikes me as a very sensible chap who perhaps is tainted by a difficult spell in a difficult job. 

His next role is critical to his career longevity and it may suit him to not be “formally interviewed” for the role. Becoming the no2 and groomed successor to someone like McCann, who has lots of experience at both League 1 and Championship level, would be very credible.

If we stay up, the experienced no1 stays on long enough to raise his profile enough to launch on to a better gig elsewhere and Kettlewell steps up.

If we go down, Kettlewell steps up to lead the campaign to escape the Championship.

Either way, he is afforded the protection and tutorage that Hamill never received 

• David changed the title to Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread