Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

Have to agree with his comments yesterday re fans . 
We absolutely need to get behind him and the team during game time tomorrow  . 
Yeah it’s the players job to enthuse the fans I get that and that’s kinda what happened when we scored first against Dundee before allowing them to control the ball thereafter but we’re at a point where the players have heard the noise from the terracing . 
Let’s see what they  come up with tomorrow, get behind them and see where we are when the game finishes …. That’s the time to show your feelings . 
Under current circumstances that seems fair . 
If we win tomorrow it’s a small step but something to hold onto .

Sadly a defeat tomorrow and players ,staff and board are going to have to take there medicine at end of the game and it won’t be pretty .

No wins in 12 is brutal . 13 nah game over .

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Ive never understood fans berating players in the middle of a game.

Are you being serious?? Ever since football became a mass spectator sport and fans had to pay to watch it they’ve been praising and berating (your word) players. In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s all part and parcel of the football spectacle.

The old adage still applies: if you can’t take the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

What do think the current crop at FP deserve with the utter dross they’ve served up since September? Laurel leaves?

10 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Fair comment in principle, but the fans have a right to complain if their team can't register a single win in 12 games.

Of course the fans have a right to complain. And the board and the people who are actually paid money to work in the game have the right to ignore the unqualified opinions of said fans. 

There's a reason why we're posting on a forum and paying money to get into games, while managers and players are being paid to actually take part.

SK has to get it right tomorrow 3 points and a committed team performance are vital.  The club needs stability changing managers every 18 months is nonsense its put the club in a downward spiral since Robinson left.

But as well as SK doing his part to get the players motivated and winning the current board need to face up to reality and reset the club to get us back on track as if the offield situation is not resolved then irrespective of how the players perform and results improve the future of the club does not look good. In our current state a relegation this year could send us down for a very long time so this is a vital time to get everything right and sort out the shambles the club seems to be in.

That said the players and SK  need a good support behind them tomorrow so I'll be there as usual cheering them on.

2 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

He also said he's never done social media which doesn't seem a bad idea ...based on everyone making up their own narrative

Let's support the team in Saturday and see what gives

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to win on Saturday, but I just don't see it. 

I'm neither a boo boy nor a happy clapper, so my support won't be any different to normal on Saturday. I just expect that I'll have my head in my hands again at the end. 

12 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for us to win on Saturday, but I just don't see it. 

I'm neither a boo boy nor a happy clapper, so my support won't be any different to normal on Saturday. I just expect that I'll have my head in my hands again at the end. 

We can only hope bro, I probably do veer towards giving them benefit of doubt but Tues can't happen again....Ross co should never be gubbing us 3 nil

• Like 1

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

Are you being serious?? Ever since football became a mass spectator sport and fans had to pay to watch it they’ve been praising and berating (your word) players. In case you hadn’t noticed, it’s all part and parcel of the football spectacle.

The old adage still applies: if you can’t take the heat then stay out of the kitchen.

What do think the current crop at FP deserve with the utter dross they’ve served up since September? Laurel leaves?

HEAR HEAR well said!

2 hours ago, David said:

Of course the fans have a right to complain. And the board and the people who are actually paid money to work in the game have the right to ignore the unqualified opinions of said fans. 

There's a reason why we're posting on a forum and paying money to get into games, while managers and players are being paid to actually take part.

Some merit in that David, but a business or organisation that ignores the views of its paying customers or fans, especially a large number of unhappy ones, is asking for trouble.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some merit in that David, but a business or organisation that ignores the views of its paying customers or fans, especially a large number of unhappy ones, is asking for trouble.

Yeah, but there are not many businesses or organisations that take into account the views of their paying customers when it comes to the managerial appointments they make.

Me buying Tetley tea bags on the reg for example wouldn't have them listening to my views on who their Head of International Sales should be. 

I fully believe that clubs should understand and have sympathy for fans who spend money travelling to watch the team, and who are not happy with how results and performances have gone. However, actively listening to fan's opinions when it comes to making managerial changes is asking for trouble.

Because, most fans, including me, don't really have the first clue as to what it takes to manage a football team.

1 minute ago, David said:

Yeah, but there are not many businesses or organisations that take into account the views of their paying customers when it comes to the managerial appointments they make.

Agreed.

Within reason, most fans couldn't care less who the manager is, so long as the team is doing well on the pitch i.e. getting results.  Most businesses de facto do take into account the views of their paying customers if the products they're selling are poor; they stop buying them, and sales plummet.  

2 hours ago, El Grew said:

yes but 95% of the time they berate the other team, which is part and parcel of the game. Most team's fans boo their team at half time or full time not during the game.

I think it was Duncan Shearer that said he would never join Motherwell as they abused their own players.

22 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Back in the day, when the team were playing poorly I loved the cry "just give us a body"  from the terraces.

If we couldn't win, serving up some serious challenges tended to cheer us all up.  Bring back physcho.  

Simpler times :)

Psycho as manager, now there's a thought!

13 hours ago, El Grew said:

I never said it never happened.

Just said I never understood it.

Totally counter productive.

Pretty sure the fans berating the players want the team to do better. But their actions arent going to help. Players being told they are shite mostly go into their shell and become frightened to try anything remotely risky. 

Its why a run of results like this becomes self perpetuating as confidence drains game by game.

By all means, berate away, but you arent helping the team by doing so.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Pretty sure the fans berating the players want the team to do better. But their actions arent going to help. Players being told they are shite mostly go into their shell and become frightened to try anything remotely risky. 

Or, like most humans, they react with a "Is that right? Well, f*ck you!" attitude. Which isn't ideal.

What is for sure is that absolutely no one ever got dogs abuse from someone and thought "Man, I really want to win for this guy!"

I think a massive problem with our support, certainly based on those around me, that there's a bunch of people who go because they love to shout abuse at the players. They're just waiting for a mistake so they can tell them they're shite. They'll get abuse if we do something as radical as keeping possession.

Of course, I accept our current form is much worse that it's been in a very long time, but we can be third in the league and the atmosphere can still be pretty toxic.

So by all means, do what you like, we're all paying customers, but I find a lot of it a bit weird.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Players being told they are shite mostly go into their shell and become frightened to try anything remotely risky. 

Yes, they do, and those types are not good enough. There is a reason why elite sportspeople are a thing, but we don't appear to have many in our so-called professional outfit. 

1 hour ago, steeldrew said:

I think a massive problem with our support, certainly based on those around me, that there's a bunch of people who go because they love to shout abuse at the players. They're just waiting for a mistake so they can tell them they're shite. They'll get abuse if we do something as radical as keeping possession.

Of course, I accept our current form is much worse that it's been in a very long time, but we can be third in the league and the atmosphere can still be pretty toxic.

So by all means, do what you like, we're all paying customers, but I find a lot of it a bit weird.

The shout of the season for me last year by a guy close by was "Van Veen, all you can do is score goals" after he didn't run 30 yards to close down a defender.

Kinda sums up some of our support though.

57 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Yes, they do, and those types are not good enough. There is a reason why elite sportspeople are a thing, but we don't appear to have many in our so-called professional outfit. 

Elite footballers and professional footballers are not always the same thing. I suppose the guys at the very top of the game don't get booed as much as your bang average player.

I have never , and I mean never in my life in football .. whether playing or coaching or scouting or whatever.. have I saw a player or team who ups their game when they are getting dogs from the stands.

By all means boo and shout what you want after the final whistle , but from the first to the last whistle support your team !!!

Any players I have played with getting it in the neck , basically just hide / down tools and the team will never suddenly play silky stuff when the crowd is on their backs …it just doesn’t happen.

• Like 4

I fondly remember the chants for Stevie Cowan & Joe McLoead.
"he's fat , he's round, he's worth a million pound "  Not sure fat shaming was intended. or
"there's only 1 Joe Mcleod.......fan" was probably hard for the player to take but intended as a bit of fun.

Much preferred these chants than the dogs abuse people like S'OD have had.  I've no doubt he and others are doing their best, it seems that unless a player chases every ball, puts in tough challenges they're likely to be called out as a wage thief /similar. 

Frustration should be vented to the chairman, manager not the guys on the park trying to make it work.