Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

2 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

bit rude - seasons greetings to all 'Well fans .

SK has gone on record saying we'll sign 1, possibly 2. 
Martindate has gone on record saying he needs to get to the window and get at least 3 players. 

Martindale said he needs guys who are ready to go into the team now, and it's the same for us. No development players, no pet projects, no just coming back from a serious injury, no been sitting on their arse for months. Problem is, where do you find those guys in January? The obvious answer is, do what managers did in ye olde days - identify a decent player, then go and buy them. And then we all woke up....

9 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Based on our 15 game winless run, and not today's result, its time to empty Kettlewell. Not a single shot on target today, we look a poorly coached outfit.

We had 1 shot on target, 20 mins in plus 2 or 3 decent chances 2nd half especially the 2 Brodie had.

So dump SK and bring in who, Bearing in mind that the new manager still has to work with the squad we have?

21 minutes ago, Optimus Prime said:

Based on our 15 game winless run, and not today's result, its time to empty Kettlewell. Not a single shot on target today, we look a poorly coached outfit.

We're the 3rd team in 7 days to achieve that feat against Rangers. Not an excuse, just a fact. 

18 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

bit rude - seasons greetings to all 'Well fans .

SK has gone on record saying we'll sign 1, possibly 2. 
Martindate has gone on record saying he needs to get to the window and get at least 3 players. 

Like I said, spare us.

Need to stop taking the manager literally. You do realise why he won’t reveal his plan in full?

Martindale ironically should keep his powder dry. His first signing is a right back from Torquay.

Your conjecture of a master plan conveniently missed from your reply. We see you.

Something that's also worth considering is that we are now in danger of gaining a reputation as a club who sacks managers on the regular if we punt Kettlewell in the next few weeks.

4 managers in 5 years doesn't make for good reading, and I can think of few clubs who carry out that kind of upheaval on a yearly basis and go on to prosper. 

Anyone worth their salt will look at how our board have acted the past few seasons and maybe will think they're better served staying on the sidelines and seeing what else comes up.

18 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Like I said, spare us.

Need to stop taking the manager literally. You do realise why he won’t reveal his plan in full?

Martindale ironically should keep his powder dry. His first signing is a right back from Torquay.

Your conjecture of a master plan conveniently missed from your reply. We see you.

OTF right back from torquay to us or livi ?????

20 minutes ago, David said:

Something that's also worth considering is that we are now in danger of gaining a reputation as a club who sacks managers on the regular if we punt Kettlewell in the next few weeks.

4 managers in 5 years doesn't make for good reading, and I can think of few clubs who carry out that kind of upheaval on a yearly basis and go on to prosper. 

Anyone worth their salt will look at how our board have acted the past few seasons and maybe will think they're better served staying on the sidelines and seeing what else comes up.

It may not make for good reading, but it's par for the course these days, so I'm not sure how much it would deter any intetested parties.

The only SPL club who have had less than 4 managers since 2018 is Livingston. If Martindale's jaiket falls, they complete the set.

1 minute ago, bobbybingo said:

It may not make for good reading, but it's par for the course these days, so I'm not sure how much it would deter any intetested parties.

The only SPL club who have had less than 4 managers since 2018 is Livingston. If Martindale's jaiket falls, they complete the set.

I guess it depends if a potential candidate is desperate enough for work that he's happy to come in and basically get one transfer window to get a low-budget squad into 7th or better because that seems to be the criteria from what I've seen from our fans.

Keeping us up, and even getting us into Europe isn't enough to guarantee some time in the job these days. 

Personally, I worry about who would follow Kettlewell. I would not be surprised at all if Frail is the next man in line.

35 minutes ago, David said:

I dont think anyone's going to judge a club for sacking a manager that's not won in 15 games. If there is any judgment its going to be on why it took so long.

10 minutes ago, David said:

I guess it depends if a potential candidate is desperate enough for work that he's happy to come in and basically get one transfer window to get a low-budget squad into 7th or better because that seems to be the criteria from what I've seen from our fans.

Keeping us up, and even getting us into Europe isn't enough to guarantee some time in the job these days. 

Personally, I worry about who would follow Kettlewell. I would not be surprised at all if Frail is the next man in line.

I don't disagree at all, but I think guys at our level understand how it works now and beggars can't be choosers. The only club that hasn't repeatedly sacked their managers is Celtic. Their domestic success brings different problems and they end up with the same stats as everyone else.

Kettlewell is the best manager we have had recently, look at the constraints he has had to work with trying to address the disaster that was Alexander and Hammell, reducing the playing squad in numbers and quality and expected to produce a top 6 team lets get real if we finish 10th that will do us this year. The Club is a shambles the fan ownership has failed and as stated a new funding model has to be found to address our playing budget. Only then we may find us with better players. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, David said:

What’s the tipping point for you? Not trying to be obtuse but we are probably on the worst run of results in my 40 years plus supporting Motherwell. He’s traded away all our options to play a different way. To go in a season with not one senior winger was incredibly naive.  Furthermore the word salad pish he was spouting to the media after the game was a sacking offence in itself.  Essentially saying we shouldn’t have been trying to play the ball out from the back (we shouldn’t have btw) but he was actually encouraging it

39 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Livingston signed him the other day ready for joining on January 1st I’m sure

i thought you ment us   cause weve got enough right backs/ inverted wing backs or what ever there called now, but the fact its livi thats signed him i dont think a rb solves there problem

27 minutes ago, Coatsy said:

Kettlewell is the best manager we have had recently, look at the constraints he has had to work with trying to address the disaster that was Alexander and Hammell, reducing the playing squad in numbers and quality and expected to produce a top 6 team lets get real if we finish 10th that will do us this year. The Club is a shambles the fan ownership has failed and as stated a new funding model has to be found to address our playing budget. Only then we may find us with better players. 

SK did a lot right initially and did a great job getting rid of some poor squad players .

that being said he also signed 11 players , most have not been anywhere close to standard .

He has also brought in several back room members and no sold they’re adding value . 

The club has several issues and I’m not sold that SK isn’t one of them . 

20 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

What’s the tipping point for you? Not trying to be obtuse but we are probably on the worst run of results in my 40 years plus supporting Motherwell. He’s traded away all our options to play a different way. To go in a season with not one senior winger was incredibly naive.  Furthermore the word salad pish he was spouting to the media after the game was a sacking offence in itself.  Essentially saying we shouldn’t have been trying to play the ball out from the back (we shouldn’t have btw) but he was actually encouraging it

The tipping point for me will probably be if we lose our next two games. If that happens, any remaining reasonable argument for keeping him (too close to the window to bring someone else in/he deserves one more go) will no doubt give way to anger. Would the board feel the same way? The fact two of them are walking shortly themselves might save him if they or whoever is left in charge doesn't fancy the dirty work. Billy Reid survived 22 games without a win, relegation and failure to come straight back up at Hamilton, so anything's possible.

4 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The tipping point for me will probably be if we lose our next two games. If that happens, any remaining reasonable argument for keeping him (too close to the window to bring someone else in/he deserves one more go) will no doubt give way to anger. Would the board feel the same way? The fact two of them are walking shortly themselves might save him if they or whoever is left in charge doesn't fancy the dirty work. Billy Reid survived 22 games without a win, relegation and failure to come straight back up at Hamilton, so anything's possible.

If there's nobody that's got a set of balls in that board room they can hire me for the day and I'll do it.

5 minutes ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

The dilemma  for me is that we are having the worst run points wise I can recall, even in comparison to the play off year where we trounced Rangers. I've deleted Kampman and Hynd from my memory banks. But performances during this spell are far from the worst I have seen, and are not as hard a watch as games under Hammell and Alexander were towards the end. Despite what some like to promote on here, the players have not downed tools, appear as united as they can be under the circumstances and are still with Kettlewell. Also off field factors outside Kettlewell's control are impacting his ability to turn things round.

On the other hand, his transfer dealings have been poor although here again restraints placed upon him limit the quality of player he can recruit. Also looking to his team selection at Dingwall and his substitutions in the past couple of months suggest to me that he his running out of ideas given the resources available.

So, could anyone else who would be willing or available to come to our Club do any better given the circumstances? I just don't know to be honest but I have my doubts. Anybody who is available has likely failed elsewhere or been out of the game for a while. I don't think the likes of Murray at Raith Rovers would jump ship for us at this time. Those screaming for Kettlewell to go have either not come up with a realistic solution or have copped out of making a suggestion, even though that would add to the discussion taking place on a fan forum.

All in all I am about 55/45 for staying with Kettlewell for now which I think is possibly how a lot of fans feel. What we do not know is whether the Club and Kettlewell have had discussions regards the transfer window and if plans are in place. Then again we also don't know for sure what funds are available for recruitment or possibly changing the Management team.

I do think a loss to Livi will see him go as this run cannot be allowed to drift on. But I'm far from convinced it will make any difference. I guess I will just have to trust our Board, which in itself does not give me any comfort

I have defended Kettlewell more than most and there is sympathy as it's individual errors that are costing us.  However we can't continue on a run like this so for me Livi home game is must win. Dons midweek I would take a draw just now if offered.

I like SK but his transfers on summer have been his downfall. I am also bewildered as why Davor hasn't featured earlier as he brings more to the team than Slattery and Paton.

Injuries haven't helped and today you see how big a loss McGinn has been and we are missing Miller a lot.  

McGinn Butcher Casey was a solid back 3 that we haven't had all season due to injuries.

And finally striker recruitment has been absolutely woeful apart from Mika.

I get the "who would we bring in" chat but at same time you can't ignore this run without a win which to be honest doesn't look like ending.

4pts from next 2 for me is vital 

Finally everyone have a great Christmas 

48 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I have defended Kettlewell more than most and there is sympathy as it's individual errors that are costing us.  However we can't continue on a run like this so for me Livi home game is must win. Dons midweek I would take a draw just now if offered.

I like SK but his transfers on summer have been his downfall. I am also bewildered as why Davor hasn't featured earlier as he brings more to the team than Slattery and Paton.

Injuries haven't helped and today you see how big a loss McGinn has been and we are missing Miller a lot.  

McGinn Butcher Casey was a solid back 3 that we haven't had all season due to injuries.

And finally striker recruitment has been absolutely woeful apart from Mika.

I get the "who would we bring in" chat but at same time you can't ignore this run without a win which to be honest doesn't look like ending.

4pts from next 2 for me is vital 

Finally everyone have a great Christmas 

Have a good one too bud.   Re Davor, some players can get away with a lack of physique, don't think he can...maybe still getting to grips with it but if he's meant to be doing the dirty part for the other midfielders , I haven't seen it .