Stuart Kettlewell discussion thread

sailor_h

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

The acid test comes at the end of the season.  If we remain 8th or better with a budget of 10-12th SK will deserve a bit of credit.

As a sceptic, I'd say if we finish 10th or above and show some signs of progress then he will deserve credit. 

• Sad 1

I really liked some of the football we played tonight. There is no doubt the midfield and strikers are buying into the managers philosophy and it is quite pleasing on the eye at times. I just wish he was able to get the same level of buy in/performance from the defence. This is where ours and SKs real problems lie.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I really liked some of the football we played tonight. There is no doubt the midfield and strikers are buying into the managers philosophy and it is quite pleasing on the eye at times. I just wish he was able to get the same level of buy in/performance from the defence. This is where ours and SKs real problems lie.

Hear hear 

15 hours ago, dennyc said:

Statistics can be quoted to suit any argument though, depending upon how selective you care to be.

What you say result wise is accurate but it is also true to say we have only lost two league games in eleven with one of those losses being to Rangers. And unbeaten in five with two commanding home victories and lots of goals scored. So since end November only one league loss (Ross County away) that was extremely disappointing.

So would you acknowledge that recent league results actually indicate an overall improvement?

The only stat that really matters for now is our League position and that has improved considerably over those eleven games.

So actually two examples...results and league position... that suggest Kettlewell and his team are performing much better now than they were using the stats you selected.

Am I happy with our League position and enjoying this season? Definitely not!

Am I angry at losing to Morton and frustrated by some of the team selections that Kettlewell puts on the pitch? Definitely yes!

But I think overall and taking into account those recent improvements that it would be foolhardy to replace Kettlewell at this time. The time to assess his position is at season end.

80% of statistics are only 50% correct 20% of the time 

Were we to get another six points this season (say one win and three draws), Ross County would need thirteen points to be level with us (and that's before goal difference comes into play). So you're looking for a team that's won 4 in 24 league games to win three and draw four of their last 14 games. Not impossible but form suggests otherwise. And for what it's worth, I reckon the way we're getting draws regularly, I suspect we'll pick up more than six points from our last thirteen games. So I reckon it might be pretty obvious soon that we'll stay up. Should that be enough to settle Kettlewell's future? Don't know. But I do think that if we only have six players contracted for next season, we really can't afford to wait til the season's over to make a decision on the manager....

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Is there a “safe” number of points to avoid play off spot? Maybe 37

being in top 6 would be great but hopefully by the split we can be safe from play off spot. 

Seems pretty straightforward this year. We're only looking at staying above Ross County as it stands. 15 points available post split - theoretically, they could win their last 5, we could lose ours, so that's the distance we'd need to put between us and them before the split to be safe. Possible, but unlikely.

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Seems pretty straightforward this year. We're only looking at staying above Ross County as it stands. 15 points available post split - theoretically, they could win their last 5, we could lose ours, so that's the distance we'd need to put between us and them before the split to be safe. Possible, but unlikely.

Pretty much agreed. Post split, and even just before it we start to see odd results as mid table teams lose to or draw against the bottom feeders. Post split can throw up freak results too - a lot will depend on how the fixtures are arranged. In short, we want to go into the post split fixtures with a real cushion over the 11th placed team. 

12 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Pretty much agreed. Post split, and even just before it we start to see odd results as mid table teams lose to or draw against the bottom feeders. Post split can throw up freak results too - a lot will depend on how the fixtures are arranged. In short, we want to go into the post split fixtures with a real cushion over the 11th placed team. 

Given how ridiculous this season has been for us and others, I still think we’re set to finish in the bottom six, but we’ve every chance of finishing 7th and with many more points than those in 6th. Or 11th could still happen. 

46 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yeah, the coupon buster season is almost upon us. Ross County have a wee run of games now that they must be hoping to take points from. We just need to hope they don't build any momentum, irrespective of our results. Difficult to see how it'll be comfortable for us, or a few others, anytime soon.

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

What's going on with these secret contract extensions? It isn't what was originally communicated. 

For me, it's not the fact that players and the manager have extension clauses written into their contracts that can be and have been triggered, it's that the extensions haven't been communicated once triggered. No wonder fans are continually annoyed by the club. It's happened with SOD and Kettlewell, and probably others, and will likely happen with Obika now as well. I think it's reasonable to say that fans shouldn't have to wait until AGMs for this basic information to be communicated to them. 

• Like 4

How hard would it be to announce these things? We have the capability to post stuff on social media every day, so just do the same steps with a different picture and words. It doesn't even need to be a new pic.

36 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yup this was news to me also about SK contract until my mate told me.  That might explain why he never got sacked in December as we can't afford to 

It doesn’t. If it was in the thinking, club would’ve absorbed the cost.

11 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

It doesn’t. If it was in the thinking, club would’ve absorbed the cost.

Would leave us short though if we then brought a new manager in.  I still have faith in SK though,  still learning the ropes and making mistakes but all managers do

2 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Would leave us short though if we then brought a new manager in.  I still have faith in SK though,  still learning the ropes and making mistakes but all managers do

Thought he was impressive at AGM tonight, personable and came across as open and honest, even if he uses 3 words when 1 will do!! , and  I can see why players and staff are behind him

• Like 1

4 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Absorbing any cost doesn’t necessarily leave us short though and is a world away from ‘can’t afford’.

He has my backing also.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1