Motherwell v Hearts 19/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Remember when you used to enjoy the football?  Getting a massive blast of nostalgia for today's performance!

Best performance in ages, a clean sheet, couple of goals and spanking the hated Hearts.

We won midweek but today was a big step up for me.  We showed much more composure this afternoon.  If our final ball had been a bit better it could have been a big win and one for the ages.

Excellent performances right down the spine - Kelly looking confident again, Butcher & Casey great, thought Spittal put in probably one of his best, if not the best, performance in a Motherwell shirt, Obika and Van Veen both caused problems.

If we play like that next week we can make our season a lot more comfortable but it goes without saying that we need to keep up the recent momentum and not get lazy again.

It’s pretty clear imo that for whatever reason the players simply weren’t playing for Hammell. Today and on Wednesday night we had McGinn, Spittal, KvV and Goss chasing balls, working their arses off in a way they simply weren’t a couple of weeks ago. The difference in effort and workrate is crazy but welcome.

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

It’s pretty clear imo that for whatever reason the players simply weren’t playing for Hammell. Today and on Wednesday night we had McGinn, Spittal, KvV and Goss chasing balls, working their arses off in a way they simply weren’t a couple of weeks ago. The difference in effort and workrate is crazy but welcome.

Yep. Hammy is hopefully watching this and reflecting on his performance/behaviour as a manager. I hope he learns. 

What a pleasant way to start a Sunday afternoon, thoroughly deserved three points.

The BBC report, and a couple on here, have talked about Shankland hitting the post, it was actually a great save from Kelly and it, arguably, sent us on our way. Everyone contributed to that win and pretty much anyone could have been the man of the match. 

Having an organiser in Butcher allows us to look much more comfortable with and without the ball and at no point today was I tempted to start chewing my nails. If anything, I'm disappointed we didn't win by more.

One final thought, I was surprised that their no. 3 wasn't even spoken to after the second goal, he had Dean in a bear hug then wrestled him to the ground in the 6 yard box before Spittal put the ball in the net. Given our record against ten men I'm happy nothing happened, and I'm also happy to admit that I don't know that specific rule, but I thought some sort of action would have been in order. 

Huge result though, 'mon the 'Well.

13 minutes ago, grumpy said:

What a pleasant way to start a Sunday afternoon, thoroughly deserved three points.

The BBC report, and a couple on here, have talked about Shankland hitting the post, it was actually a great save from Kelly and it, arguably, sent us on our way. Everyone contributed to that win and pretty much anyone could have been the man of the match. 

Having an organiser in Butcher allows us to look much more comfortable with and without the ball and at no point today was I tempted to start chewing my nails. If anything, I'm disappointed we didn't win by more.

One final thought, I was surprised that their no. 3 wasn't even spoken to after the second goal, he had Dean in a bear hug then wrestled him to the ground in the 6 yard box before Spittal put the ball in the net. Given our record against ten men I'm happy nothing happened, and I'm also happy to admit that I don't know that specific rule, but I thought some sort of action would have been in order. 

Huge result though, 'mon the 'Well.

Well done to the Ref though for not blowing too quick. 

2 hours ago, AllyMax said:

I'm not a big fan of the old 'give it to the caretaker after two games' but no one can deny the difference kettlewell has made both to the shape/organisation and application of the players. Everyone worked hard today.

I'd much rather see Kettlewell to the end of the season than some media clown or a manager with no experience in Scotland.

Kettlewell may have failed to get Ross Co out of a relegation battle, but at least he's lived through it and should have learned from any mistakes he made.

He failed in one season at RC his other seasons were a success.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Incredible result. The workrate from the entire team was night and day to what it was under Hammell.

Hearts were awful but that’s not our problem. 

And get it right up that greasy, flat nosed prick Neilson and that Honey monster headed goalkeeper.

Not quite the 5-1 scudding you were expecting, eh?

A perfect example of how a group of players can look completely different under a different manager, the no hopers under anyone now  have six points in two games which we would not have gained under Hammell. Organisation, workrate,  confident, just night and day.