Kilmarnock v Motherwell 25/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

14 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Very important point and perhaps more so in the way we got it. Strange how the same score can invoke different emotions.  Had we been 1 up and lost a late goal it would feel totally different than us snatching a point at the death. 

Indeed. If we look back to the Kilmarnock game at FP now, that point cannot be better illustrated. That one result seemed to completely derail Stevie Hammell's spell as manager. Would Hammell still be the manager now if we had won that night?

The facts will show that we got one point that night and one point yesterday but the emotions that surround the result are very different.

It is for that reason that I think that we may well look back on Slattery's goal as the one that keeps us safe this year. A defeat yesterday would have pulled us right back into the relegation battle with Kettlewell having to lift the players for a massive game this coming weekend. As it is the mood stays positive and everybody makes the long trip to Dingwall with optimism. The goal will have been a real body blow to Killie's morale yesterday.

The quality in the playing squads between the teams in 4th to 12 th are so similar that it is moments like Polworth's wonder goal at FP or Slattery's free kick yesterday that can change the fortunes of a season. Confidence is king.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

A wee while back a Kilmarnock fan on P&B asked me to research Kilmarnock's record since they installed the plastic pitch excluding Steve Clarke's time at the club.  

Between 14th Aug 2014 and 11th Dec 2021  (excluding Clarke's reign) they won 31 out of 105 matches so their record was pretty poor and certainly no excessive home advantage.  If anything it went the other way with a 29% win ratio.

Their record at home this season isn't too bad but yesterdays results meant it was 4 home matches without a win. 

91% of their total points total this year have been won at home according to a poster on P&B.

When you look at that stat a draw isn't too shabby.

7 minutes ago, santheman said:

91% of their total points total this year have been won at home according to a poster on P&B.

When you look at that stat a draw isn't too shabby.

Including yesterday, they’d played 14 games at home and only lost 3 times - Celtic, Rangers and Livingston and only 4 other clubs had taken a point from them - Hearts, St.Mirren, Dundee Utd and us.

Up until yesterday they’d played 14 games away from home and failed to win a single game and have only managed 2 draws - St Mirren and us.

Now I know usually teams away form is worse than their home form but you can’t help thinking that this is an abnormal balance.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, El Grew said:

Including yesterday, they’d played 14 games at home and only lost 3 times - Celtic, Rangers and Livingston and only 4 other clubs had taken a point from them - Hearts, St.Mirren, Dundee Utd and us.

Up until yesterday they’d played 14 games away from home and failed to win a single game and have only managed 2 draws - St Mirren and us.

Now I know usually teams away form is worse than their home form but you can’t help thinking that this is an abnormal balance.

They're probably that used to playing a certain way on their own park that they can't adapt to a different type of game  away from home on a decent surface but yeah it seems strange even on the balance of probability.

Either that or they're just shit.

I know we have won at Almondvale, Rugby Park, NDP, etc in the past but does anyone actually remember seeing a decent game being played on one of those pitches? It is honestly not a surprise why Killie has managed to get 91% of their points on that.

Thoroughly enjoyed that Slattery free kick right in the postage stamp, I thought it was the least we deserved, how many times in the past have we been stung by a late Killie goal. The first half was poor, admittedly I don't what the rules are these days but I thought there were suspicions of offside for the Killie goal as one of their players is well off the field, their attacker strikes the ball which is blocked, and lands to Van Veen and when he goes to clear it that Killie player is back on the pitch to block the clearance. 

Furlong and Obika passed up some great opportunities but I felt a point was the least we deserved when it was all said and done. It's actually laughable that some Killie vloggers have titled videos daylight robbery and such. 

6 hours ago, pretzel said:

I know we have won at Almondvale, Rugby Park, NDP, etc in the past but does anyone actually remember seeing a decent game being played on one of those pitches? It is honestly not a surprise why Killie has managed to get 91% of their points on that.

Thoroughly enjoyed that Slattery free kick right in the postage stamp, I thought it was the least we deserved, how many times in the past have we been stung by a late Killie goal. The first half was poor, admittedly I don't what the rules are these days but I thought there were suspicions of offside for the Killie goal as one of their players is well off the field, their attacker strikes the ball which is blocked, and lands to Van Veen and when he goes to clear it that Killie player is back on the pitch to block the clearance. 

Furlong and Obika passed up some great opportunities but I felt a point was the least we deserved when it was all said and done. It's actually laughable that some Killie vloggers have titled videos daylight robbery and such. 

They obviously didn’t look at the game stats then.