Kilmarnock v Motherwell 25/02/2023

SteelmaninOZ

51 minutes ago, numpty said:

All about opinions I suppose...

Perhaps, but I suspect it's more about fans, players and managers (myself included) not understanding all the ins and out of the current rules. In particular the "excessive force", "out of control" and "handball" interpretations that crop up every week.

EDIT: works better when I include the quote.

3 hours ago, weeyin said:

Appeal denied. Vassell out for this game.

Quite right too it was feckin assault a tackle like that outwith a football match would  get you jailed, all the nonsense about no intent, didn't mean it, not  red ffs he could have blinded the other player his studs were that high.

I just like the fact that he has managerial experience he can look back on to compare and contrast with what he's facing now.

It became more and more obvious in Hammell's later interviews that he had nowhere to go to find alternative approaches to try and dig us out the hole. It felt like his answer was to keep working on the same things, but a bit harder.

It's a shame we didn't insist on someone a bit more experienced to assist him with the day-to-day as it might have been all we (and Hammell) needed to get us over the hump.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

I just like the fact that he has managerial experience he can look back on to compare and contrast with what he's facing now.

It became more and more obvious in Hammell's later interviews that he had nowhere to go to find alternative approaches to try and dig us out the hole. It felt like his answer was to keep working on the same things, but a bit harder.

It's a shame we didn't insist on someone a bit more experienced to assist him with the day-to-day as it might have been all we (and Hammell) needed to get us over the hump.

Hammell would never have got over the Hump, he was like a rabbit in the headlights no idea what to do, he could have asked for help at any time, Kettlewell was at the club ffs, so it could have been arranged no problem.

I get the impression that Hammell and Kerr, knew they were out of their depth very early on and kept hoping the team would bale them out but it never happened. For me there must have been other issues, ie coaching methods, personalities, etc as the teams performances fell off a cliff very quickly.

11 hours ago, weeyin said:

In that case he may not have taken the job. He made it plain at the AGM that he didn't want an experienced man brought in to help him. Oddly enough, from his comments, SK was not involved in first team training.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

In that case he may not have taken the job. He made it plain at the AGM that he didn't want an experienced man brought in to help him. Oddly enough, from his comments, SK was not involved in first team training.

From what I've seen and heard, it's pretty clear that Hammell dug his own grave and put the nails in his own coffin, but that's to be expected of a rookie, sometimes. Let's hope he's learned some valuable lessons that will enable him to return to the game in some capacity. 

4 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I meant after he had taken the job and dug the hole we're in.

It's an old cliché, but the best managers surround themselves with people smarter than they are. If you're not astute enough to realise when a bit of help is required, then you are your own worst enemy.

As I said in the other thread, the world's greatest players still need coaching and training every day, but for some reason most managers think never need guidance.

No point worrying about it now though.

I wonder if Hammell or Kerr would come back to work in the academy again or if that bridge has been burned.

I would like to see the Youth, B and first team Management work as a team to establish similar styles of play and approach across the board. Would help players to progress without having to adapt too much to a different set up. Not sure that would work if Hammell and Kerr were involved. Especially if earlier comments that Hammell did not utilse Kettle within the first team coaching set up are accurate.

Kettlewell was asked about a first team assistant and he said work was in hand to identify the correct person. That person would need to think along the same lines as him, but also be strong enough to express ideas for improvement. When that person arrives I would expect Clarkson to revert to his former role. I suspect Kettlewell may also have someone in mind to assist at lower levels.

Certainly sounds like Kettlewell and the Board have a vision of the structure they want. Let's hope it works out.

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

I meant after he had taken the job and dug the hole we're in.

I don't disagree with your overall thinking about bringing in experience. However  I think it's clear that SH was adamant from the outset and throughout his reign that he didn't require experienced help. Therein lies part of his problem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't disagree with your overall thinking about bringing in experience. However  I think it's clear that SH was adamant from the outset and throughout his reign that he didn't require experienced help. Therein lies part of his problem. 

He didn't realise that dealing with seasoned pros who had been round the block a few times was completely different from dealing with young Impressionable players eager to please.

A steep learning curve that he didnt quite get to the end of and is only learned through experience.

It's OK citing "club legend" to young apprentices, doesn't wash the same with older professionals.

• Like 1