Ross County v Motherwell 04/03/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

An excellent 10 points out of 12 for Kettlewell and the players. One point to note, however, is that this current Kettlewell team has no place for the likes of Crankshaw, Danzaki, McKinstry and Tierney.

Until we are safe

17 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Exactly!Ingame Management from Kettlewell was something we have been missing under Hammell  was pretty much non existent tbh.Its one of the things I have been really impressed with under Kettlewell.

Christ we beat ten men today that in itself is an achievement lol.

I heard an amazing stat today, well I thought is was amazing😂 Hibs have won 12 SPFL games to date and in 8 of them they beat 10 men. It's such a freakish stat I had to go and check and it's true 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I heard an amazing stat today, well I thought is was amazing😂 Hibs have won 12 SPFL games to date and in 8 of them they beat 10 men. It's such a freakish stat I had to go and check and it's true 

They were our "10man mirror image" until Saturday! 😄

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

An excellent 10 points out of 12 for Kettlewell and the players. One point to note, however, is that this current Kettlewell team has no place for the likes of Crankshaw, Danzaki, McKinstry and Tierney.

I think we have to play a certain way just now to get points on the board and allow us to get some defenders fit again.

I think if you get to the stage where Butcher is in midfield and we are still secure at the back then Kettlewell might have some more freedom to play different formations/players.

19 hours ago, Robbos boy said:

Big lazy KEV again, shame on you all the doubters, take away his goals and then where would we be. King Kev!!!!!!! 

Not quite sure what to make of KVV. Despite doubts, he's knocking the goals in for us and his talent should be unquestioned. Almost certainly his form has improved as he's getting more support under Kettlewell than he did under Hammell, where he often ploughed a lone furrow up front. Maybe the change in formation has benefitted him?

A great result yesterday and a hugely important 3 points.  Credit to the Kettle and the players. We've along way to go to ensure safety and there will be twists and turns to come but its looking more promising. 

I always thought that the players had the ability to improve and its a case of whether they "downed tools" under Hammy / became disillusioned and demotivated or whether SK has them better organised and is playing to their strengths. Probably a combination of both.

Anyway a great result yesterday that gives us hope especially with close rivals losing out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I think we have to play a certain way just now to get points on the board and allow us to get some defenders fit again.

I think if you get to the stage where Butcher is in midfield and we are still secure at the back then Kettlewell might have some more freedom to play different formations/players.

I've heard a couple of interviews with Kettlewell where has said exactly that.

His two favourite terms are "strip it down to basics" and "add some layers later"

What he's doing now is exactly what was needed in our position and, for whatever reason, Hammell couldn't or wouldn't do. 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Not quite sure what to make of KVV. Despite doubts, he's knocking the goals in for us and his talent should be unquestioned. Almost certainly his form has improved as he's getting more support under Kettlewell than he did under Hammell, where he often ploughed a lone furrow up front. Maybe the change in formation has benefitted him?

A great result yesterday and a hugely important 3 points.  Credit to the Kettle and the players. We've along way to go to ensure safety and there will be twists and turns to come but its looking more promising. 

I always thought that the players had the ability to improve and its a case of whether they "downed tools" under Hammy / became disillusioned and demotivated or whether SK has them better organised and is playing to their strengths. Probably a combination of both.

Anyway a great result yesterday that gives us hope especially with close rivals losing out.  

Undoubtedly better with support that Hammel denied him

7 hours ago, star sail said:

What makes you say that? I thought 37 points was generally considered the marker for safety based on the last decade or so.

Are you working on the basis that Killie, Utd and RC will take points off each other and that two of the three can't now reach 33 points?

All of the bottom five (you have to include st j now since they're only a point above us)  are capable of going on a 3-4 game run, like we just have, so with ten games to go, there's still a few twists and turns in store.

I feel like 36 would put us in a pretty strong position, especially with our goal difference, which would mean Utd would need to pick up 17 and the other two 13. 

We have a chance of getting those points before the split, with the Utd six pointer and a home game against Livi. Anything from hibs or rangers would be a total bonus. Hopefully by the time we get to parkhead we don't need to be worrying too much about protecting that goal difference.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Kettlewell has binned SH tactic of playing from the back. The slow side to side movement where we hardly progress 20 feet was hard watching. You need a quality midfield to do that and we don't have that. We mix our play up a bit more than we did under SH. I can see what SH was trying to do you just need better players than we have to be good at it. We go long when we need to , we have a couple of guys who can hold it up when we do. That said the standard in the last two games is still awful but in our position that doesn't matter a fcuk . We need to get points playing ugly and the last two games we've done that.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2023 at 4:56 PM, Yorkyred said:

He’s going to be the difference between relegation and staying in the league. This group that it was suggested could not stay up under any manager are proving otherwise. Again you clearly can polish a turd.

if your selling tickets for your shite polishing     keep me a dozen :)

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

100%,the big man has needed support, which Hammell didn't give him. As I said, the Raith game was basically Hammys resignation playing KVV out wide. No a bad player Hammell, never a great player and certainly never a manager. Why he even thought of applying for the managers job is beyond me. Now out of work with a major doubt on his ability in all fields. 

I hope he does find another job within football, I feel he will. Moving from a pretty safe job to first team manager certainly comes with risks, I personally feel people sometimes feel they should apply rather than asking themselves am I ready and able. The right move could have been assistant manager but of course there is no guarantee that position would ever have been made available to him. After this I think he’s very unlikely to ever be a first team manager again.

This season is all about points on board, staying up and come summer a rebuild and SK brings in his own players and formations.

Early days but I like the guy and I think bringing in frail as assistant is a great move as it's a good experienced coach.   

No doubt if we lose next 3 it will be usual "nah ..he's pish"...."clueless". But hopefully we all sing from songsheet

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

100%,the big man has needed support, which Hammell didn't give him. As I said, the Raith game was basically Hammys resignation playing KVV out wide. No a bad player Hammell, never a great player and certainly never a manager. Why he even thought of applying for the managers job is beyond me. Now out of work with a major doubt on his ability in all fields. 

The difference in your attitude towards Hammell and KVV is mistifying to me.

One is our post war record appearance holder and club legend. The other is a very talented but huffy manchild who conttributed to getting the former sacked due to his poor attitude.

I would never have dropped KVV because without him we really didnt have goals in the team. And yes, the new formation does suit him better and is getting more out of him.

Hammell, could have changed that but didnt. Thats on him. But as a senior pro, you can down tools like KVV did, or you can roll your sleeves up and give everything youve got, as he is now showing.

Hammell is gone and no changing that. But you dont need to dance on his grave whilst glorifying a guy who may be a cult hero. But wont make it near our Hall of Fame.

8 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The difference in your attitude towards Hammell and KVV is mistifying to me.

One is our post war record appearance holder and club legend. The other is a very talented but huffy manchild who conttributed to getting the former sacked due to his poor attitude.

I would never have dropped KVV because without him we really didnt have goals in the team. And yes, the new formation does suit him better and is getting more out of him.

Hammell, could have changed that but didnt. Thats on him. But as a senior pro, you can down tools like he did, or you can roll your sleeves up and give everything youve got, as he is now showing.

Hammell is gone and no changing that. But you dont need to dance on his grave whilst glorifying a guy who may be a cult hero. But wont make it near our Hall of Fame.

You are right of course, and there is no doubt it should not be tolerated and he did do this as a professional earning more than the majority of people who graft every day.

I suppose the but is this. Managers are paid to manage players and personalities. O'Donnell, Tierney & McKinstry aren't playing just now and it'll be up to Kettlewell to motivate these guys too. Hammell didn't manage Van Veen and what he is. He wants to win, and get goals. The manager did not give him the support he required by his formation.

I won't dance on his grave but he mismanaged him & a vast number of other matters.

2 minutes ago, wunderwell said:

You are right of course, and there is no doubt it should not be tolerated and he did do this as a professional earning more than the majority of people who graft every day.

I suppose the but is this. Managers are paid to manage players and personalities. O'Donnell, Tierney & McKinstry aren't playing just now and it'll be up to Kettlewell to motivate these guys too. Hammell didn't manage Van Veen and what he is. He wants to win, and get goals. The manager did not give him the support he required by his formation.

I won't dance on his grave but he mismanaged him & a vast number of other matters.

I wouldnt argue with any of that. 

2 hours ago, Yorkyred said:

I hope he does find another job within football, I feel he will. Moving from a pretty safe job to first team manager certainly comes with risks, I personally feel people sometimes feel they should apply rather than asking themselves am I ready and able. The right move could have been assistant manager but of course there is no guarantee that position would ever have been made available to him. After this I think he’s very unlikely to ever be a first team manager again.

There's a massive difference between coaching a team and managing one.

You can be the best coach in the world on the training field but doesn't automatically mean you are any good at creating a happy dressing room full of motivated players producing the goods on the pitch.

A harsh lesson for him and I hope he bounces back from it.

Las is probably trying to engineer a gig for him at the Midden.

4 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Kettlewell has binned SH tactic of playing from the back. The slow side to side movement where we hardly progress 20 feet was hard watching. You need a quality midfield to do that and we don't have that. We mix our play up a bit more than we did under SH. I can see what SH was trying to do you just need better players than we have to be good at it. We go long when we need to , we have a couple of guys who can hold it up when we do. That said the standard in the last two games is still awful but in our position that doesn't matter a fcuk . We need to get points playing ugly and the last two games we've done that.

Agreed.

As an old industrial works phrase went “you can only pee with the c*ck you’ve got.”

6 hours ago, El Grew said:

“you can only pee with the c*ck you’ve got.”

Which is also slowly, side to side and making little progress at my age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1