2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

13 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Comparing apples with oranges. 

I think not. Goss is technically a better player of the ball than Cornelius, in my opinion. The fact they play different roles is immaterial. Goss can ride a tackle Cornelius is far too easily muscled out.  Goss reads the game better than Cornelius. Cornelius is to prone to be a headless chicken. Hes young enough where that may improve. Would it be harder to replace Goss in his role than Cornelius in his role ? I think the answer is yes. For me Goss is a better asset. Cornelius is very  replaceable within our budget.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I think not. Goss is technically a better player of the ball than Cornelius, in my opinion. The fact they play different roles is immaterial. Goss can ride a tackle Cornelius is far too easily muscled out.  Goss reads the game better than Cornelius. Cornelius is to prone to be a headless chicken. Hes young enough where that may improve. Would it be harder to replace Goss in his role than Cornelius in his role ? I think the answer is yes. For me Goss is a better asset. Cornelius is very  replaceable within our budget.

Suppose if you could combine Goss' touch etc with Cornelius workrate , you'd have some player but he wouldn't be at Motherwell.

50 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Turn it up. Hardly immaterial given they’re asked to perform very different roles, hence, apples and oranges quip.

May be some merit in individual points you make, but, can discount your headless chicken claim. Suppose it’s all in the understanding of the game.

Don't think his inclusion when Hammell (who rated him highly) was emptied can be understated. Certainly wasn’t coincidence the upturn in form of Goss and the freedom afforded to Spittal. 

It’s all a moot point anyway.

Goss and Cornelius are different types of players but both play important roles in my opinion. I feel Goss tries the world cup pass too often but is definitely our most creative.  Deano is the engine room and does a lot of grafting which doesn't always get noticed

• Like 1

Just now, Spit_It_Out said:

I will not hold much hope going into the season with Carroll and McGinlay fighting for Left wing back and SOD being our first choice Right wing back major downgrade on last season.

I really hope Blaney gets a push aswell.

Carroll out of contract so surely won't get a new deal. I will reserve judgement on Blaney, got injured not long after signing so too early to judge him

20 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Goss and Cornelius are different types of players but both play important roles in my opinion. I feel Goss tries the world cup pass too often but is definitely our most creative.  Deano is the engine room and does a lot of grafting which doesn't always get noticed

Yeah he does try that type of pass and Deano doesn’t get noticed for his hard graft but makes a wee mistake and it’s bin him, just like some other players cop the abuse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I will not hold much hope going into the season with Carroll and McGinlay fighting for Left wing back and SOD being our first choice Right wing back major downgrade on last season.

We can't have Carroll or McGinley fighting for anything, their bodies are made of wet cardboard.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, fizoxy said:

We can't have Carroll or McGinley fighting for anything, their bodies are made of wet cardboard.

First two out the door unfortunatly McGinlay has another year should never have been extended. Must try and get Furlong back 

5 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

The question is why you would even want to replace Cornelius on our budget. The boy is Motherwell thru and thru. If he is the kinda player you need you keep him. If he isnt, move him on. But dont replace him. Thats a bit mad.

I agree re Goss. Kettlewell is getting the best out of him. But he is a different kind of player and shouldnt be an either/or with Cornelius.

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Blaney has only had a handful of games. Far too early to be calling time on his Motherwell career. Let him get a full pre season under Kettlewell and see where he is by xmas.

14 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Blaney has only had a handful of games. Far too early to be calling time on his Motherwell career. Let him get a full pre season under Kettlewell and see where he is by xmas.

I though Blaney was outstanding when he came on against County but was less comfortable against Livi and Utd. If he has a strong character alongside him while he's still young - like Butcher or Casey - then I think that he will be fine.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Well Well said:

Blaney was nervous because he had the bomb scare Mugabi playing next to him and he was fucking up everything he went near so Blaney couldn't concentrate on his own game

Yup that was my feeling. God love Bevis, he is an absolute gem but just isn't that good

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Yup that was my feeling. God love Bevis, he is an absolute gem but just isn't that good

agree with that. It's clear that he has many good qualities and a good person to have around. Sadly his positional sense and lack of timing aren't amongst these qualities, which costs him and the team points. 

He's probably do well in the championship, he could be on of RC's first signings  

22 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

agree with that. It's clear that he has many good qualities and a good person to have around. Sadly his positional sense and lack of timing aren't amongst these qualities, which costs him and the team points. 

He's probably do well in the championship, he could be on of RC's first signings  

Agreed,looking at him he is exactly what you would be wanting in a centre half,he's big and strong with a decent turn of pace but sadly the positional sense isn't there and it genuinely feels like he could make an arse of it at any second when he's on the park.were definitely at the stage where it would suit both parties if he moved on over the summer.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Well Well said:

Blaney was nervous because he had the bomb scare Mugabi playing next to him and he was fucking up everything he went near so Blaney couldn't concentrate on his own game

Good players make players around them better. 

Poor players blame others for thier performance 

BTW, I'm not saying Blaney is a poor player (and he's not the one making excuses).  It's just interesting how fans react to players they like vs players they don't. SOD is a classic example. He was better than Blaney at the weekend, but was on the receiving end of more criticism than Blaney. 

• Like 3

On 6/1/2023 at 4:21 PM, SteelmaninOZ said:

Yeah he does try that type of pass and Deano doesn’t get noticed for his hard graft but makes a wee mistake and it’s bin him, just like some other players cop the abuse.

Corneleus is a lightweight its got feck all to do with a wee mistake. Hes very easily dispossessed and isnt particularly strong in the tackle. He does have youth on his side and that may improve but for me doesnt particularly add anything.Thats the reason he warms the bench more often that not. Nobody would be more delighted than me if he became a mainstay of the team but don't expect it to happen.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Corneleus is a lightweight its got feck all to do with a wee mistake. Hes very easily dispossessed and isnt particularly strong in the tackle. He does have youth on his side and that may improve but for me doesnt particularly add anything.Thats the reason he warms the bench more often that not. Nobody would be more delighted than me if he became a mainstay of the team but don't expect it to happen.

Quite the take. Think most will trust Kettlewell’s judgement over yours right enough - he’s been open in his assessment too.

This warming the bench you speak of, at least be factual - Slattery retained his position after securing a point at Kilmarnock, Kid reclaimed his place before picking up a knock pre-split, then got back in on full fitness.

I like Cornelius , has a good attitude, local lad and works his socks off.  Adds a bit of energy. 

Primary concern is he's now 22, has been around the first team for 5 years and hasn't held down a regular first team place.  Although a different type of player it's similar to Maguire. Good local lad who perhaps won't quite make it in the SPL. 

I like Cornelius and would love to see him properly make his mark for us, but as said he is on the lightweight side which hampers him. A lot will depend on our transfer business this summer and if or where he fits into Kettlewell’s plans after that.

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

I like Cornelius , has a good attitude, local lad and works his socks off.  Adds a bit of energy. 

Primary concern is he's now 22, has been around the first team for 5 years and hasn't held down a regular first team place.  Although a different type of player it's similar to Maguire. Good local lad who perhaps won't quite make it in the SPL. 

The fact they are  local shouldn't have anything to do with it....I don't think they are good enough but others disagree

Sometimes it does guys good to get away from local club/ fans and prove people like me wrong .

They are young enough to do it 

I mentioned Jack McMillan at thistle the other night, he looked good, I didnt rate him here but he's probably coming back to the premiership now

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Good attitude and working hard should be a given for any player , a midfielder needs a trick or two,e.g . a good shot , getting on the end of things , good tackler, a range of passing , even if you've a couple of these qualities.

• David locked this topic