2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

54 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

He's fine as a link up player.....provided we replace Van Veen with a decent striker.  

As for Cornelius.  'One of our Own' turns us down to go to Harrogate Town.  Bizarre.  He might do better down there since it's a less technical league....

Harrogate are my local team and certainly progressed in recent years. 

What saddens me is the standard of SPL and who we're competing with is on par with the English 4th tier.  Always a kick in the nuts that our relative stature has fallen in the last 3-4 decades. 

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

Harrogate are my local team and certainly progressed in recent years. 

What saddens me is the standard of SPL and who we're competing with is on par with the English 4th tier.  Always a kick in the nuts that our relative stature has fallen in the last 3-4 decades. 

I know Harrogate are pushing for promotion to League 1, but do they have a bigger playing budget than us? Genuine question. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

To put things into perspective  Harrogate's population is slightly less than that of Dundee's. The problem, once again, is the rise and dominance of the EPL and hence the cash that flows into English football at all levels, a substantial amount of which comes from Scots fans. You pays your money and you takes your choice. 

2 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I think (and this applies to Max Johnston as well) wherever he ends up, if he wants to develop then he needs to be playing regular football. Could be that he'd develop more playing for Harrogate Town 30 times next season than sitting on Preston North End's bench (or in their stand) and making 7 sub appearances...

Definitely agree here. Dean was never going to get a game for preston who are a mid range championship team. Campbell who was far ahead of him aged 22 had to go at that time to mid range league 1 team. League 2 is best he could get based on his performances for us I'd imagine.

Hope he does well the same as everyone else on here .

• Confused 1

The EFL went through massive debt problems when the ITV Digital deal collapsed.  Lots of clubs who spent the promised cash ahead of time went into administration (or worse).

21 years later, they are back to throwing money at clubs in the National League in the hopes of EPL riches, and Harrogate are one of those hoping to work their way up the ladder. 

Sooner or later the bubble will burst again, but until it does there will always be lower league clubs that can outspend us. 

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Not convinced about Obika but wil give him a chance, hopefully a full pre season to get fitness up and he could do us a turn......if Mandron stays I would be concerned 

I was hoping we wouldn't bring obika back,same goes with mandron,we definitely don't need both.

17 hours ago, David said:

It's a new challenge. Football is a short career, and he may want to look back and say that he's tried his hand in different leagues, and outside his comfort zone. Nothing wrong with that.

It's Harrogate mate.  If that's out of his comfort zone then he has issues.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2

12 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Knew you’d be an expert on their finances 😂

Doesn’t hide the fact their playing budget  exceeds that of our own by some distance.

Sorry dude but you spout some utter keech. You're calling out someone for mentioning finances and being an expert on it only for you to quickly follow it up by being in the know about Harrogate's playing budget. 

Are you Dean Cornelius da by any chance as you haven't taken any criticism of him well on here or on P&B over the past few weeks. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, pretzel said:

Sorry dude but you spout some utter keech. You're calling out someone for mentioning finances and being an expert on it only for you to quickly follow it up by being in the know about Harrogate's playing budget. 

Are you Dean Cornelius da by any chance as you haven't taken any criticism of him well on here or on P&B over the past few weeks. 

If he is, he's advising him really badly 😁

2 hours ago, pretzel said:

dude? keech? Honking patter.

Nobody getting called out 😂 I know steelboy and we discussed offline straight after the post. Sorry if you didn’t get the memo. A touch parochial in the thinking that playing budgets in the 4th Tier are not above that of our own. Information is there to support.

Dean Cornelius da? Think the biology part will count me out for that suggestion. But, batter in if it gets you likes.

Only replied to the revisionism of some. Stats are there to disprove some theories.

3 hours ago, Wellfan1984 said:

It's Harrogate mate.  If that's out of his comfort zone then he has issues.  

Why do we all automatically think that leagues 1 and 2 in England are poor, I suspect most if not all of the teams in those leagues would easily beat the teams in the SPFL L1 & L2. They are all decent sized clubs, larger average crowd than some premiership clubs in Scotland, bigger budgets  etc, Given Cornelius has only ever played for Hibs and Motherwell youth teams and just stepped up to the 1st team at Motherwell moving to Harrogate Town is hardly a backwards career step as so far he has done nothing in his career.

So why not wish the boy well and hope he succeeds instead of whining about him moving to Harrogate.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Onthefringes said:

dude? keech? Honking patter.

Nobody getting called out 😂 I know steelboy and we discussed offline straight after the post. Sorry if you didn’t get the memo. A touch parochial in the thinking that playing budgets in the 4th Tier are not above that of our own. Information is there to support.

Dean Cornelius da? Think the biology part will count me out for that suggestion. But, batter in if it gets you likes.

Only replied to the revisionism of some. Stats are there to disprove some theories.

It's always honking patter when you don't agree with someone. You have already admitted to belittling people on here a few months ago.

Like I said, over the past few weeks you have constantly been posting things "In the know" in regards to our squad budget, kit release, Well Bois and on Dean but you keep it all very vague, it's easy to take an educated guess on things.

Earlier in year you fought the corner for Cornelius when it was surprisingly reported that he was linked to Preston, obviously I'm paraphrasing but I'm sure your take was that it wasn't surprising and he contributes more than given credit for (before his consistent run) but thats some come down for him in club choice. 

I have no doubts a number of clubs in League Two will be able of offer better wages as you do have the likes of Bradford and Wrexham but are Harrogate, a club who draw roughly 2,000 fans to home games likely to blow us out the water with an offer he couldn't refuse or is it more likely he fancied his chances to make an impact in England. Good luck to the young guy, I truly hope he does well where ever he ends up.  

• Like 6

4 hours ago, Busta Nut said:

Look's like they just missed the playoffs, by 12 places.

I mentioned their League 1 aspirations in reference to their volume of spending and losses over the past couple of seasons. Their chairman is content to pump money in and not seek repayment. This suggests promotion aspirations to me, or at least a plan to enable them to fight near the top of League 2. 

13 minutes ago, pretzel said:

It's always honking patter when you don't agree with someone. You have already admitted to belittling people on here a few months ago.

Like I said, over the past few weeks you have constantly been posting things "In the know" in regards to our squad budget, kit release, Well Bois and on Dean but you keep it all very vague, it's easy to take an educated guess on things.

Earlier in year you fought the corner for Cornelius when it was surprisingly reported that he was linked to Preston, obviously I'm paraphrasing but I'm sure your take was that it wasn't surprising and he contributes more than given credit for (before his consistent run) but thats some come down for him in club choice. 

I have no doubts a number of clubs in League Two will be able of offer better wages as you do have the likes of Bradford and Wrexham but are Harrogate, a club who draw roughly 2,000 fans to home games likely to blow us out the water with an offer he couldn't refuse or is it more likely he fancied his chances to make an impact in England. Good luck to the young guy, I truly hope he does well where ever he ends up.  

I’m glad you’ve got that off your chest. Dress it up how you like, I’m of a vintage where being referred to as ‘dude’ is just wrong & a differing viewpoint as talking ‘keech’? Deary me.

Not once claimed to be ‘in the know’. Nothing regards squad budget or kit releases that isn’t available without  scratching the surface.

I’m not sure the link reported was a surprise given who represents the player? It’s what they’re paid to do.

On credit for contributing - Alexander, Hammell & Kettlewell all gave similar opinion on the player to shareholders & the support in general. All wrong?

Some come down for him in club choice?  How so? Are you aware who has registered interest, offered contract(s)?

Suggest you’ve answered your own question on both fronts in closing statement. Any additional salary will be a bonus.

• David locked this topic