2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Was Josh Morris the only player Graham Alexander signed more than once? I don't think it's fair to compare Paton to a one footed shitebag, we should at least give him a few games.

Obika, Paton and Maguire in for KVV,  Goss and Cornelius isn't sexy at all, but I seriously doubt we're done with our transfer business. 

4 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Any development fee will be due to Hibs. Best we can hope for is a sell-on clause.

Do we not get any of the development fee? Surely we are entitled to some of it? Just asking, as I dont know how these things work......

7 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Every year teams like us, with a limited budget, have to wait while players decide what offer to accept or hold out in hope of a better offer elsewhere. Some of these players are of a better quality but others just think they are.
As frustrating it is for us, it must be worse for the manager & staff trying to get the deal’s done.  
Wether the guys already signed are good enough as starter’s remains to be seen but - while we try to persuade others to join us - I think it’s better to have them rather than scrambling around at the last minute picking from the leftovers.  

Refreshing to read a calm, balanced view 

8 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Every year teams like us, with a limited budget, have to wait while players decide what offer to accept or hold out in hope of a better offer elsewhere. Some of these players are of a better quality but others just think they are.
As frustrating it is for us, it must be worse for the manager & staff trying to get the deal’s done.  
Wether the guys already signed are good enough as starter’s remains to be seen but - while we try to persuade others to join us - I think it’s better to have them rather than scrambling around at the last minute picking from the leftovers.  

And of course it’s been the same for years. Given that it’s a bit strange some people think it’s suddenly going to change. You would think the pre season predictions of doom would have dissipated by now given it never actually happens.

5 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I think any club that has contributed to his development up to the age of 23 gets training compensation of some kind.

Aye but it won't be much because Harrogate will be a category 3 or (probably) 4 club for training. 

So 30-40 grand max. 

I don't quite get the some of the comments about Harry Paton. He had a lot of catching up to do last season and we didn't really see a lot of him. I doubt he'll be one of the top "stars" but SK obviously sees something in him. Time will tell and the jury is still out for me.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't quite get the some of the comments about Harry Paton. He had a lot of cathcing up to do last season and we didn't really see a lot of him. I doubt he'll be on the top "stars" but SK obviously sees something in him. Time will tell and the jury is still out for me.

Agreed, I didn't think he did much wrong when he came on. Won't set the heather in fire but better than some of the dross we've had in midfield over the years. 

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I don't quite get the some of the comments about Harry Paton. He had a lot of catching up to do last season and we didn't really see a lot of him. I doubt he'll be one of the top "stars" but SK obviously sees something in him. Time will tell and the jury is still out for me.

The trick is to look and see who is posting the criticism..........then ignore it.

It works for me.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grumpy said:

The trick is to look and see who is posting the criticism..........then ignore it.

It works for me.

Good advice, or if someone is posting extremes , e.g he's absolutely shit or brilliant...they are usually looking for attention or have a mental health condition.

I think Harry Paton looked absolutely brilliant last season.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Fergie79 said:

Paton was a real surprise in one of the training sessions I seen, he was a standout by miles, hopefully a good preseason and he will be a decent signing without costing very much

Any idea what his position is? Is he an 8 or a 6 or what? 

1 hour ago, middleeastdave said:

I take it that Goss isn’t resigning.

out of interest are Motherwell taking any players that are on trial to Netherlands?

Not sure about Goss. I wondered if the fact he has been away with Northern Ireland might have delayed any announcement one way or another...

If we have a creative midfielder that can make a pass, I don't care if they sit down and light up in the middle of the centre circle when the times are tough.

That's why you also sign midfielders with good engines that can tackle.

You tend to get more tough times more often if you don't have at least one passer in the team.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, weeyin said:

If we have a creative midfielder that can make a pass, I don't care if they sit down and light up in the middle of the centre circle when the times are tough.

That's why you also sign midfielders with good engines that can tackle.

You tend to get more tough times more often if you don't have at least one passer in the team.

Agree but where does Slattery fit in with your logic 

• David locked this topic