2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

I can’t believe what I am reading right now when I am seeing people saying Fletcher is the answer to our Forward line good god I would rather we played Lennon Miller.

If we can’t get something better than Fletcher to lead the line then SK will be out a job by Christmas.

Fletcher ffs come on now.

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I can’t believe what I am reading right now when I am seeing people saying Fletcher is the answer to our Forward line good god I would rather we played Lennon Miller.

If we can’t get something better than Fletcher to lead the line then SK will be out a job by Christmas.

People need a reality check when it comes to signings for Motherwell we are never going to sign an experienced proven goal scorer in his prime as they are rarely if never available and if they are we can't afford them. We will sign someone at the business end of the transfer window and take a punt on a free agent or somebody nobody else is in for as we did for Higdon, KVV, Tony Watt, etc etc.

So why not Fletcher if he wants to come for what we are offering a proven goal scorer, good experience so nothing ventured nothing gained.

• Like 1

I didn't see anyone claim Fletcher is the answer to our forward line. Just that he might be a decent signing.

Akinyeme, also mentioned, could be the answer - but I expect there will be better offers for him than we can afford.

Fletcher is a quality player , who’s deservedly earned big money and played for much better clubs than us.

getting him when he’s past his best is the the only chance of landing someone of his stature .  

having experienced pros who know how to play at a higher level - yes please . 

risks about number of games , all players have risks . 

All about opinions but I found it strange folk getting excited about a guy on trial from Beith yet an experienced Scottish international is viewed as a negative.

Now this might sound bizarre but Fletcher and Shields could be a good combination as Fletcher's experience could help Shields especially if Shields played as an actual striker. However 10 mins into his next well game and no doubt Shields will start getting pelters again, hardly going to help the lads confidence

• Like 1

If I had the choice between Fletcher and a punt on somebody no-ones ever heard of from some English lower division team on the same kind of money then I'd probably opt for Fletcher.

Of course Ketts has maybe got another proven striker already tied up for all we know.

I remember similar negativity around Higdon when he signed, some of it even persisted when he was banging in goals for us on a regular basis.

”Fat, lazy, a big downgrade on John Sutton” being just some of the comments I remember hearing and seeing posted at the time I’m sure.

He was a lot younger than Fletcher is now when we signed him but having just lost a striker who netted almost 30 goals last season and not being blessed with forward players in his absence then turning your nose up at a former Scotland internationalist with a proven track record of scoring goals at our level is crazy, imo. If there is a chance of us getting Steven Fletcher I would grab it with both hands.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Lennon Miller is a midfielder.

And no one said lead the line. Having him up front as a link player alongside a player that can score goals. Could be Fowler, could be Akinyeme. Could be someone else.

FWIW I would love Lennon Miller to be ready for a starting position in midfield. Whether he is or not remains to be seen.

I think Fletcher was excellent any time I saw him last season but I feel he isn't the right sort of fit for us.

He's a very good player but he's hardly prolific in front of goal.

We need a goalscorer to play off the types of players we already have at the club.  Not another Curtis Main/Lee Erwin type.  A first choice striker that scores 8 goals a season isn't what we need because we don't really have too many goals coming from elsewhere.  

Of course it's hard to find goal scorers but I'd rather take a chance on someone stepping up a level than Fletcher.

1 hour ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Lennon Miller is a midfielder.

And no one said lead the line. Having him up front as a link player alongside a player that can score goals. Could be Fowler, could be Akinyeme. Could be someone else.

FWIW I would love Lennon Miller to be ready for a starting position in midfield. Whether he is or not remains to be seen.

Agreed about miller,hopefully he shows up well during pre season and puts himself right into contention when the league cup starts as there's every chance he could be heavily involved in they games with cornelious gone and real doubts about goss coming back,I just hope that barry maguire doesn't get any game time before miller as that would be a right sickener.

17 minutes ago, wellfan said:

I can only assume this is another attempt at sarcasm.

Must be missing something. Was he found not guilty? He surely has the right to carry on with his career.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Must be missing something. Was he found not guilty? He surely has the right to carry on with his career.

Whether he has the right to carry on with his career is a matter of opinion, but that doesn't mean we or any other club should sign a rapist.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2022/feb/06/shameful-to-let-david-goodwillie-keep-playing-says-woman-he-assaulted

"At a civil case at the court of session in Edinburgh in 2017, Goodwillie and his former Dundee United teammate, David Robertson, were judged to have raped Clair and ordered to pay her damages of £100,000."

25 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

Technically, He wasn't found "not guilty" of anything, as there was no criminal trial due to "insufficient evidence in law"

As per wikipedia, however,

The Criminal Injuries Compensation Authority determined that the woman had been raped and awarded her £11,000.

The woman took civil action in 2016 against Goodwillie and Robertson, in the first case of its kind in Scotland. The judge ruled that they had each raped her, and ordered them to pay £100,000 in compensation

Of course, he declared himself bankrupt and never paid a penny, but that judgement still stands.

Being a professional footballer isn't a right, but he's certainly entitled to look for work in that field. Equally, individual clubs have the right to choose who they want to employ as long as they don't illegally discriminate.

It'll be interesting to see where Fletcher ends up, you would assume that he would have signed for someone before agreeing to his Dundee United departure as he was on a decent wedge by all accounts, not that he's short of dosh by any means. I'm undecided on whether I would be happy or not on the signing, I think he would be great in that Obika/Mandron role but obviously, that has since been filled. He won almost everything in the air in the two games against us in the latter part of the season but he annoyingly liked to fall on his hoop a lot.

Who was the last veteran we signed? Gordon Marshall must have been pushing 40 but outfield I think David Kelly must have been 36 or so.

• David locked this topic