2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

26 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

To all these people saying Tierney wasnt given a chance. He had  over 300 days in training to convince 3 managers that he should be in the first team. 

Aye, this sums it up for me. I really like Tierney, seems like a nice guy and runs like fuck when he’s brought on, but we’ve had 3 managers who didn’t fancy him and that’ll do for me. Good luck to him! 

25 minutes ago, David said:

The big difference is that Kyogo and Maeda are better players. 

My point is, Tierney isn't too lightweight. There's other lightweight players in the league who do just fine. If we're saying he's not good enough, then that's a different discussion. But this idea that Tierney being lightweight is what is holding him back just isn't true.

I'm just not all that impressed by who we've brought in, and who we've lost. I also wasn't impressed when he said the following about Danzaki:

“Riku, technically, you can understand why he was brought to the club for a particular style of play. That has substantially changed, in terms of formation. Riku would probably indicate he is a number 10. I have not played with a number 10 at times.

“I see it a completely different way, so that would probably let you acknowledge why it could be difficult for him at times to get in. ”

I'm not necessarily saying Danzaki should have been kept, but the noises from Kettlewell about how he doesn't really accommodate a number 10 type of player is alarming in my opinion. Maybe that's because I grew up watching football where that type of player was considered a real asset to have. Someone who can change a game with a pass or a run.

I don't see us having that approach now, and while we did get results the second half of last season, I still wonder how much of that was down to Van Veen and how much was down to Kettlewell.

I guess we'll see this season, because I don't see us having anyone close to Van Veen's abilities this season.

Fair enough. Cant really argue with that.

I tend to take what SK says with a pinch of salt though. I personally think he uses very clever language at times to cover for the fact that he doesnt rate a player, or there maybe a problem with that player that he doesnt want to go public with until he gets another club to take them from us.

He cant exactly say, "I dont fancy Danzaki cause he is shite and way below the fitness levels I expect from a professional athlete" and expect other clubs to take them off our hands.

He has been very good at getting a lot of the deadwood off our books.

Lets see if he is as good at bringing in players better than the ones he let go.

56 minutes ago, David said:

I'm just not all that impressed by who we've brought in, and who we've lost. I also wasn't impressed when he said the following about Danzaki:

“Riku, technically, you can understand why he was brought to the club for a particular style of play. That has substantially changed, in terms of formation. Riku would probably indicate he is a number 10. I have not played with a number 10 at times.

“I see it a completely different way, so that would probably let you acknowledge why it could be difficult for him at times to get in. ”

I'm not necessarily saying Danzaki should have been kept, but the noises from Kettlewell about how he doesn't really accommodate a number 10 type of player is alarming in my opinion. Maybe that's because I grew up watching football where that type of player was considered a real asset to have. Someone who can change a game with a pass or a run.

I don't see us having that approach now, and while we did get results the second half of last season, I still wonder how much of that was down to Van Veen and how much was down to Kettlewell.

I guess we'll see this season, because I don't see us having anyone close to Van Veen's abilities this season.

I tend to agree with much that you've said here. What I would add is that we have played with a 'number 10' for a lot of the games under Kettlewell. If you consider a number 10 an advanced midfielder playing behind the strikers, sometimes going beyond them, then Spittal has been playing almost as a 10. Kettlewell would have been more honest saying "Danzaki plays where Spittal does, he's not going to get a game because my replacement for Spittal will be to bring Paton on and push Slattery forward". 

Someone made the point to me that some managers are good at identifying players to bring in, some are good at moulding what they have into a team and others are good at both. We know that Kettlewell can take what he inherited last season and get the best out of it. We still don't know if he can sign the right players. Having seen Wilkinson and Souare, I have my concerns. His performance so far as manager means he has earned trust of the fans for now. But he has been in football long enough to know that a few defeats will see questions asked...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Kettlewell has lost 2 games out of 18 since he took charge. Just saying 

I'm well aware of that. That's why I said that he had earned our trust for now. All I'm saying is that this is a different challenge to the one he inherited in February...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, MelvinBragg said:

I tend to agree with much that you've said here. What I would add is that we have played with a 'number 10' for a lot of the games under Kettlewell. If you consider a number 10 an advanced midfielder playing behind the strikers, sometimes going beyond them, then Spittal has been playing almost as a 10. Kettlewell would have been more honest saying "Danzaki plays where Spittal does, he's not going to get a game because my replacement for Spittal will be to bring Paton on and push Slattery forward". 

Someone made the point to me that some managers are good at identifying players to bring in, some are good at moulding what they have into a team and others are good at both. We know that Kettlewell can take what he inherited last season and get the best out of it. We still don't know if he can sign the right players. Having seen Wilkinson and Souare, I have my concerns. His performance so far as manager means he has earned trust of the fans for now. But he has been in football long enough to know that a few defeats will see questions asked...

Wilkinson has never played in Scotland so will need time and games to get used to the different pace of the game up here as has nearly every player we've signed from the English lower leagues.

Same applies to Souare.

Time to judge them will be in 6 weeks or so.

• Like 1

Playing Obika and Wilkinson together in a league game would be suicidal not just because of how ineffective they are in attack but because it means we can't do any pressing and the opposition can play a high line and swarm our midfield 3.

Kettlewell got a televised tactical doing from the Dutch Queens Park manager on Saturday and will need to have a rethink as well as finding better attacking players. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Richie said:

Kettlewell confirming this morning he's looking for minimum 3 in the door as well.

Very interesting to hear him say a minimum of 3. I presume that must be off the back of how successful he has been getting bodies out the door. Thats good news as he will obviously have his targets in mind and he must think they are better the the players he has moved on. Fingers crossed he is right!

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

Conor Shields will be moving on asap according to Burnsy. 

Yes, the deck clearing continues. He's doing a first part (clearing deadwood) Harri Kampmann very well. Lets hope the second part (bringing in new blood) is more successful.

8 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

I would love to see us go back for McKinstry and play him just behind Obika or Wilkinson.  He doesn't seem to be SK's kind of player but we need pace and creativity in forward area unless there are some being lined up

Not for me , did nothing that would make me think he'd improve us. Again another one who'd have stared more games if he'd performed. Their arse doesn't warm the subs bench because they are indispensable.

15 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Not for me , did nothing that would make me think he'd improve us. Again another one who'd have stared more games if he'd performed. Their arse doesn't warm the subs bench because they are indispensable.

I agree. Another one of these players who lost the most important years of their development by going to a club where he was never going to get a competitive game for 5 years. Wherever he ends up, he'll be starting on a footing of over half a decade of non competitive football.

McKinstry had a very similar Goals+Assists per minute to Spittal last season despite the fact that he came into the team pretty raw to start with.

He might have options in England but I would expect St Johnstone or Ross County to take him on since he's obviously got a goal in him at our level.

28 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

I agree. Another one of these players who lost the most important years of their development by going to a club where he was never going to get a competitive game for 5 years. Wherever he ends up, he'll be starting on a footing of over half a decade of non competitive football.

He was badly advised to move to Leeds at the age he did, as you say he was never getting anywhere near the Leeds team, yes he has made a few quid but at the cost of his football development and regular game time. He needs to get his career back on track but that's not at Fir Park so I hope he gets a club and a chance elsewhere.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

He was badly advised to move to Leeds at the age he did, as you say he was never getting anywhere near the Leeds team, yes he has made a few quid but at the cost of his football development and regular game time. He needs to get his career back on track but that's not at Fir Park so I hope he gets a club and a chance elsewhere.

That seems to be the main pathway for good young Scottish players now.

It seems like we are producing a better standard of player but barely any of them are going to play in our league.

Just now, Spiderpig said:

He was badly advised to move to Leeds at the age he did, as you say he was never getting anywhere near the Leeds team, yes he has made a few quid but at the cost of his football development and regular game time.

The thing is, you don't know if you're going to get that regular game time if you stay, do you? He could have knocked back Leeds, and a manager like Kettlewell comes in and doesn't fancy playing him. What then? 

It's like when people say that Hastie was wrong to leave for Rangers. Was he? He came back pretty soon afterwards and it was clear that his run of form was temporary. If he'd stayed with us he'd likely not have progressed much beyond what he did when he came back on loan. 

Truth is, you never know in football. You strike while the iron is hot, and you grab your chance when it comes. Because it's not always guaranteed to come back round in future. There's too many variables to be knocking back good money and the chance to give it a try at a higher level. You stay at Motherwell, get a bad injury and drop out of the game entirely. It could easily happen.

So no, he wasn't badly advised. He was advised to sign the contract where he'd earn the most money, and where he'd be given the opportunity to train and learn from players and coaches higher up the food chain. 

He didn't make the grade, but he had to give it a shot. I'm sure he'll wind up at another club on a similar level to ourselves, and kick on from there. The only difference is he's got experience of living down south, training and playing with coaches and players at a high level, and his bank account likely looks a lot better.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, steelboy said:

McKinstry had a very similar Goals+Assists per minute to Spittal last season despite the fact that he came into the team pretty raw to start with.

He might have options in England but I would expect St Johnstone or Ross County to take him on since he's obviously got a goal in him at our level.

I was as excited as anyone when we got McKinstry back on loan. I felt it was a bit of a coup for us and a chance, that had been denied us, to see a player who we had developed and was touted as having a lot of talent.

The reality was a bit underwhelming. The boy did okay and showed flashes of ability, but he was nowhere near the player I thought he might be.

He did get unlucky with the change of manager, but there was a reason SK went for Spittal ahead of McKinstry and hasnt looked to get him back after his contract at Leeds expired.

• Like 2

Connor Shields confirmed now. Contract terminated so that he can move on a one year deal to Chennaiyin where Owen Coyle is their manager.

• David locked this topic