2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

7 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

A weird one this, why not do that before the window shut? 

Will we bring another forward in?

I thought Shaw was brought in as an addition to our front line, not a replacement.

Other players I would've happily seen leave ahead of Efford

I'm working on the assumption that it means Wilkinson might be back sooner rather than later. Not that that's a particularly exciting prospect either...

Given the skeletal nature of the squad, not sure who's left that you'd have moved on ahead of Efford. McGinley and who else..?

2 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

I really don't get this considering we are short of bodies I get SK didn't fancy him but could have just kept him on until January at very least just incase.

I suspect Wilkinson will be back shortly and even if not, Shaw and Bair will be the front two. If one of them gets injured (given this season, when one of them gets injured), plan B will be the 4 midfielders taking it in turn to support a lone striker. I suspect Ferrie may be ahead of Efford in Kettlewell's pecking order, rightly or wrongly. Getting the impression, Kettlewell would maybe rather re-register Clarkson than play Efford. What I'm trying to say is, there was no way he was getting another chance so there was no point in keeping him ' just in case'...

The writing was on the wall for efford since kettlewells comments before the hibs game,they were very similar to danzaki and the next thing he was gone,hopefully it's worked out the same as danzaki who had a club lined up and it didn't cost us any money to move efford on.

Presumably SK tried to offload Efford during the window the same way as others were moved out i.e. with loan deals or clubs willing to sign permanently.

Given we're very much one out/one in, you'd have to think we are close to getting someone fit again or bringing in a free agent.

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I think as long as he is a free agent with no club he can sign for anyone at any time.  Don't quote me though 

No, he has to be a free agent at the time the registration window closes, otherwise he needs to wait until the next window opens.

So he can’t sign for St Johnstone but he might be able to sign for a club in India or somewhere further flung.

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Presumably SK tried to offload Efford during the window the same way as others were moved out i.e. with loan deals or clubs willing to sign permanently.

Given we're very much one out/one in, you'd have to think we are close to getting someone fit again or bringing in a free agent.

Is one out/one in a thing in this circumstance? Not sure paying up a contract leaves much room for manoeuvre for bringing in a free agent, I’d be inclined to go with the former and the use of number 10’s which is serving us well.

6 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Is one out/one in a thing in this circumstance? Not sure paying up a contract leaves much room for manoeuvre for bringing in a free agent, I’d be inclined to go with the former and the use of number 10’s which is serving us well.

Absolutely this.  A squad with 3 senior strikers and a youth feels like plenty.

The concern for me is if Slats or Spittal get injured.  Pushing Miller forward might be an option?

37 minutes ago, Muzza said:

Absolutely this.  A squad with 3 senior strikers and a youth feels like plenty.

The concern for me is if Slats or Spittal get injured.  Pushing Miller forward might be an option?

I wouldn't be rushing to sign anyone but we have two fit senior strikers at the moment, not three. Do we know how when Wilkinson will be back? 

As I've said before, chances are anyone we sign now won't have had a preseason anyway so will take ages to be match fit rendering it a pointless signing. Unless it's someone a club has just released ahead of deadline day...

Really hoped it would work out for him with us and there were definitely positive signs of his ability before getting injured last season. Hope he goes on to have a good career elsewhere.

12 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Really hoped it would work out for him with us and there were definitely positive signs of his ability before getting injured last season. Hope he goes on to have a good career elsewhere.

Let's be honest about Efford he never really looked like he had the ability and / or the commitment to make it at premiership level so him moving on was the only option.

Getting rid of the deadwood in the squad like Danzaki, Efford and others with no nonsense or letting contracts run down has been one thing SK has impressed me with.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Let's be honest about Efford he never really looked like he had the ability and / or the commitment to make it at premiership level so him moving on was the only option.

Getting rid of the deadwood in the squad like Danzaki, Efford and others with no nonsense or letting contracts run down has been one thing SK has impressed me with.

agree with that. 

Efford scored 2 goals in 25 games. I don't even know if he was a winger/striker.  Got fed up hearing here's a guy who can (or can't ) play anywhere across the top 3. 

Wish him well and good move to move him on.  

2 hours ago, fizoxy said:

Efford's deal when he signed was until this summer, was there something that said we extended it further?.

He originally signed till May 2023, but at some point over the last few months that changed on the official site to May 2024. Same thing happened with Stephen O'Donnell - does anyone remember the club saying his deal had been extended?

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2021/04/13/stephen-odonnell-signs-new-deal/

Surprised to hear that Efford was a "top earner" at the club given that he was essentially still injured when he signed his extension.

I had thought it was another case of the club looking after a player until he was fit again.

Given some of nuanced chat from some posters, it feels like there have be some strange decisions taken within the club over the last 12 - 18 months.......

• David locked this topic