2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Without knowing the details of individual contracts it's, of course, impossible to say what happens in these situations. 

Sometimes clubs have an option to extend, sometimes a player earns an option to extend, sometimes there can be weird clauses. 

With overseas players like Efford there may even be some creativity needed to ensure work permits etc are granted.

Sometimes, like Turnbull, players sign extensions knowing they are moving on but working with the club to generate extra revenue. 

Regardless, it looks like SK has been doing a good job of slashing our inflated payroll. 

44 minutes ago, mfc said:

Kettlewell has confirmed that efford was one of our top earners which is mental,it doesn't sound like we have taking to much of a hit to get rid of him either which is a bonus.

I’m utterly shocked he was one of our top earners. Who signed off on that contract?

Apart from maybe two games I never saw anything in the guy. I’ve no doubt he is a model pro, hard worker, general good guy but as a player his limitations were there for everyone to see.

Good luck to joe but well played sk on saving us some money by getting shot of him.

When it comes to players, whether it's injuries, transfers or contracts, I take anything a manager says with a large pinch of salt.

"One of our top earners" is pretty vague. If 80% of the senior players are on the same basic and a couple earn more, for example, that would make him one of the "top earners".

• Like 1

4 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Given some of nuanced chat from some posters, it feels like there have be some strange decisions taken within the club over the last 12 - 18 months.......

Aye SK was Brought in to clean up the mess left by the Alexander and Hammell shit fests that nearly got the club relegated, he's doing a great job so far, but I suspect it will be next season at earliest before we see the club fully back on track. And I hope that we have a good off field plan and strategy from the board / new CEO to complement the onfield improvements.

2 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

No matter what his wage was I’d like to see the freed up cash used to offer improved, extended contracts to a couple of the squad rather than spent on another mediocre striker who may or may not improve our frontline. 

Freed up cash? There’s a world of difference to that and the balancing the books as the manager alluded to in his conference. Zero correlation.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Onthefringes said:

Freed up cash? There’s a world of difference to that and the balancing the books as the manager alluded to in his conference. Zero correlation.

Exactly this.

Martindale at Livi spoke in similar terms a couple of days ago regarding the need to balance the books. He put a figure on Livi's situation saying he had to find £400k, by whatever means he could......player sales, contracts cancelled or renegotiated, additional sponsorship as examples. In other words a mix of reduced expenditure and increased income. I think many Clubs are similar in that contracts cancelled does not equate to all, or in some cases any, savings being available to the Manager for player investment.

What I found scary was that £250k of their shortfall was purely down to the introduction of VAR. I assume we have a similar cost in that regard.

A sliding scale for VAR costs apparently.

Top flight clubs set to share the cost, anticipated to be around £1.2m per season, on a proportional basis based on prize money for final league placing.

It means the Premiership winners face forking out £195k per season, with a sliding scale to the 12th club, which will pay around £67k.

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

A sliding scale for VAR costs apparently.

Just checked back what Martindale actually said. Livi's share of VAR costs was £200k after finishing mid table. So a bit less than I quoted,  but more than initially suggested under that sliding scale when it was being promoted. No surprise there. I wonder if Clubs think they got value for money? For a good few Clubs the knock on effect on budgets must have been substantial.

3 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The cost of VAR might be worth it if it resulted in better refereeing decisions. The fact that it is demonstrably not makes it feel like more money pissed up against the wall......

Worth it for Slattery's goal against hearts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, dennyc said:

Just checked back what Martindale actually said. Livi's share of VAR costs was £200k after finishing mid table. So a bit less than I quoted,  but more than initially suggested under that sliding scale when it was being promoted. No surprise there. I wonder if Clubs think they got value for money? For a good few Clubs the knock on effect on budgets must have been substantial.

Could well be the case it has ended up costing more. I think those figures I found were the estimates put in front of the clubs for the vote, but would not be surprised if they hiked the price when it was implemented.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, steelboy said:

The VAR system clearly doesn't work. Offside cameras at impossible angles. Entire touchlines without any camera coverage. It's a joke before you even get to the the dicks making the decisions. 

Add in all the expense we went to flattening the park for the offside decisions. 

No matter how many times you repeat that it’s still a falsehood.

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Kieran Spiers signs for Caledonian Braves. A strange one. He burst onto the scene under Hammell, looked promising; then disappeared; and finally released. 

Caledonian Braves sounds like a basketball team, I had never heard of them had to look them up, Lowland League is still a decent level to be playing at assuming football is not your main job.

• David locked this topic