2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

7 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not sure we need him right now if we still have Gent or are we signing Furlong on a permanent basis? 

I'd imagine we would only be looking to sign Furlong permanently rather than a loan because we have Gent for the rest of the season, but where does that leave Wilson? And if we don't sign Furlong, perhaps we will recall Wilson as cover since Souaré has left.

Signing Furlong in the last window would have made sense.

He obviously had a better offer at Hull.

Doesnt make any sense now, unless Steelboy is right and we plan to employ Gent as a winger.

Long term Wilson has to he the answer. Much like Miller, he didnt look out of place in the League Cup. Definitely has potential.

On 1/1/2024 at 7:01 PM, bobbybingo said:

Maguire is a nobody from down south that we just happen to know. If we aren't looking for/can't get better than him, we're in trouble.

Oh, we will be looking. But that doesn't mean we're getting. 

I'd rather have a nobody from down south that knows the club, knows the players, can fit right in and we kind of know what we're getting, than someone brand new who we'd need to hand another contract to. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, we will be looking. But that doesn't mean we're getting. 

I'd rather have a nobody from down south that knows the club, knows the players, can fit right in and we kind of know what we're getting, than someone brand new who we'd need to hand another contract to. 

If he's coming back, he can't go anywhere else anyway.

Maguire would have been handy to bring on yesterday when we needed fresh legs to close the game out.

He isnt the answer long term. But when you have a threadbare squad that requires employing your most productive midfielder at RWB, I dont think we can be sniffy.

42 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Maguire would have been handy to bring on yesterday when we needed fresh legs to close the game out.

He isnt the answer long term. But when you have a threadbare squad that requires employing your most productive midfielder at RWB, I dont think we can be sniffy.

Is he injured or just completely out the picture at Kidderminster?

43 minutes ago, Jastons said:

I'm disappointed to see Brodie Spencer leave early. A near ever present on the team sheet this season . I also didn't realise he was only 19 !

Spencer started off really well but his performances of late have been a bit up and down,I would rather we had kept him though as overall he's been one of our better players upto now.gent looks like he has found his feet and is a threat going forward, hopefully the plan is to sign an attacking fullback for the other side and not go with o'donnell for the rest of the season.

I'm not overly bothered about Huddersfield recalling Spencer. The downside is, of course, that we already have a very thin squad, especially at full back. SOD's best days are definitely behind him and I now rate him as back up. 

I thought Spencer was ok but no more than that.

Its shaping up to be a busy January window.

5 minutes ago, mfc said:

Spencer started off really well but his performances of late have been a bit up and down,I would rather we had kept him though as overall he's been one of our better players upto now.gent looks like he has found his feet and is a threat going forward, hopefully the plan is to sign an attacking fullback for the other side and not go with o'donnell for the rest of the season.

For me O'Donnell was our best defender yesterday and but for him Hibs could have had the game won in the first 30 minutes. On at least three occasions he was the one making last gasp clearances.  And he would have performed far better right side defensively than out of position Spittal. McGinn too, but he is doing fine a bit more central so I get him starting there. First half Hibs tore us apart down that right hand side. I lost count of the number of times the ball was fired across our six yard box with Hibs failing to get on the end of it. Settled down a bit after that when Spittal was pushed further up the pitch. Then again it was from that area that the cross that led to the equaliser came from.

Spencer's distribution in recent games left a lot to be desired with very few crosses getting beyond the first defender. Defensively he can be replaced.

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

Is he injured or just completely out the picture at Kidderminster?

Kidderminster have realised what we already knew ie he's brutal, thats more deadwood for us to carry if he comes back this transfer window 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Kidderminster have realised what we already knew ie he's brutal, thats more deadwood for us to carry if he comes back this transfer window 

Another zero impact player from the bench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mfc said:

I was seriously begining to think I was watching a different guy with all the weeping and wailing about his departure on twitter and how great a signing he was. The guy was steady / decent nothing more, his form of late had dipped. He is only 19 and may well turn out to be a quality player but right now he's replaceable and that's SKs job to find a suitable replacement.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'm not overly bothered about Huddersfield recalling Spencer. The downside is, of course, that we already have a very thin squad, especially at full back. SOD's best days are definitely behind him and I now rate him as back up. 

I thought Spencer was ok but no more than that.

Its shaping up to be a busy January window.

Bang on. Don't look on twitter you'd think we were losing a world class player.

Maguires loan is up. He hasnt been playing. Unlikely Kidderminster will renew. If they dont he will be our player until the end of the season. Not suggesting we renew his contract as we all know he isnt what we need long term. But as a bench player if you need fresh legs to see out a game like yesterday? Id have had him on instead of Paton or Slattery. Not an impact player for sure. But he could fullfill a role while he is here.

56 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

One of my biggest bug bears is how long it takes us to decide a player ain't got it. Barry McGuire should have been moved on at least 18 months ago. It was the same with Stuart Carswell. 4 seasons with us and the max it should have been was 2.  Bevis Mugabi coming into that category too. In his 5th year with us now and should have been moved on again about 18 months ago. Thankfully Bevis contract is up this summer however I've just got this awful feeling we will give him another contract. Mind you I don't think anyone will ever beat the 9 years Stevie Woods got. Consistently the worst Goalkeeper I have ever seen us have. He has no equal in the kind of fuck ups we endured from him. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Bevis is our best defender. 

I'd argue that McGinn is better but Mugabi is no worse than Casey or Blaney. Argument could be made that none are good enough. Thing in Mugabi's favour, in my opinion, is that I get the impression that he'd be happy to be first back up central defender. And I think he's probably good enough for that...

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Bevis is our best defender. 

I just don't agree.

Every single time the ball goes near him on the deck I get the fear and it looks like he does as well.

Personally think he is a horror show as a footballer!!!!!!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I'd argue that McGinn is better but Mugabi is no worse than Casey or Blaney. Argument could be made that none are good enough. Thing in Mugabi's favour, in my opinion, is that I get the impression that he'd be happy to be first back up central defender. And I think he's probably good enough for that...

McGinn in his sleep is a better defender than Mugabi.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

He is indeed and well by his sell by date for us. 

As a first choice? Probably. But as backup centre back alongside (you'd hope) a centre back from the academy on the bench? We could do worse. How good do I expect the fourth choice centre back at Motherwell to be? Probably about Mugabi's level. Problem is that, other than McGinn, our other defenders are no better than him...

3 hours ago, dennyc said:

For me O'Donnell was our best defender yesterday and but for him Hibs could have had the game won in the first 30 minutes.

I agree. O'Donnell could be useful on the right side of a back 3 if required imo but what we definitely need is more pace going forward on the right. Gent as others have mentioned looks to have found his feet and should only improve with games on the left but while we continue to play either O'Donnell or Spittal on the right the team obviously lacks balance. Hopefully we'll see a decent pacey, right sided full back in on loan.

Edit: McGinn is by far the best defender/centre back at the club.

Bevis cleared everything yesterday and was unlucky with the deflection at the end.

We went to absolute shit when he was dropped for Butcher and Kettlewell's anti football style means we need someone at the back who can make blocks and defend the 6 yard line. 

• David locked this topic