2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

2 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd ideally like one or two more than those you list......if we have the financial means. A LWB and maybe a central defender too. Hopefully the foward would be a wide forward/winger. As I say, it's a wish list and maybe pie in the sky. We are very thin on the ground though. SK mentioned bringing in a couple over and above anyone leaving and 3 have so far. 

I wouldnt say we shouldnt sign another CB if one of better quality than we have was available, but if one isnt, Im not sure we need one.

Butcher will be fit by the restart as should Blaney. SoD and McGinn have proved to be worthy replacements. I think we have plenty of cover there. 

My main hope would be another holding midfielder to help Davor out, a wide player and another striker.

Im interested in the Furlong chat. Not sure how ITK that is but having him and Gent dovetailing could be quite exciting.

The KVV chat is probably a non starter due to the wages and Ive no idea if it would work but the thought of him Bair and Biereth starting up front does quite excite me.

Probably put our limited resources to better use elsewhere but at least it would be box office.

Could be a fun couple of weeks.....

I would take Furlong and push Gent further up the field.  I like Geordie and he loves to get forward and get early crosses in.  Maybe Grumpy Spittal should take some lessons on him on how to put in a decent cross.   I know....I know.....as the song goes....Let it Go.....let it goooooo

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

I would take Furlong and push Gent further up the field.  I like Geordie and he loves to get forward and get early crosses in.  Maybe Grumpy Spittal should take some lessons on him on how to put in a decent cross.   I know....I know.....as the song goes....Let it Go.....let it goooooo

Spittal has been our most productive midfielder this season and probably last season too.

Id cut him him some slack for yesterday. Id be pissed off getting played out of position, chasing my tail for 90 plus minutes only to lose an injury time equaliser.

Id also take him off set pieces though.

So.........😆😆😆

Frankly I'd rather we signed two players who will make a difference than three or four punts (not a spelling error, by the way). With Miller still to come back, don't know if I'd prioritise midfield. A centre back to keep Casey out of my sight? Maybe but a pacy right wing back would be my priority...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Spittal has been our most productive midfielder this season and probably last season too.

Id cut him him some slack for yesterday. Id be pissed off getting played out of position, chasing my tail for 90 plus minutes only to lose an injury time equaliser.

Id also take him off set pieces though.

So.........😆😆😆

🤣🤣,  yep pal agree and like I said earlier I have been a big defender of Spittal over past few seasons. His assists and goals record is very good.

Still a key player and the poor man's Theo Bair 🤣🤣

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

I wouldnt say we shouldnt sign another CB if one of better quality than we have was available, but if one isnt, Im not sure we need one.

Yes. No point in signing someone just to add numbers. However our central defence, McGinn excepted, haven't been great this season and have cost us a fair few goals. I'd look for an upgrade. 

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes. No point in signing someone just to add numbers. However our central defence, McGinn excepted, haven't been great this season and have cost us a fair few goals. I'd look for an upgrade. 

I think what we have is serviceable if we give them some protection from midfield.

Davor is helping in that area but he cant do it on his own. 

Unfortunately Spittal, Slattery and Paton are very similar players. Tidy going forward but not great defensively.

Will be good to get Miller back, but he is still young and has a lot to learn.

A prime Peter Hartley / Tom Aldred type would be good, but Im not sure we are still able to shop in that market.

I did also forget to say I agree re a quality RWB with pace. Max back on loan would be awesome.

16 hours ago, Well Well said:

Nope not for me. Has been given so many chances to prove his worth and has failed miserably to take any of them hence being out on loan. Sooner he is off the wage bill the better. 

Again, if you think a club like Motherwell, where our starting eleven quality isn't all that great due to finances, can afford better than Maguire as a backup, then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

9 minutes ago, David said:

Again, if you think a club like Motherwell, where our starting eleven quality isn't all that great due to finances, can afford better than Maguire as a backup, then I'm not really sure what to tell you.

It's a pointless debate anyway. He's our player, he can't go anywhere else till the summer and we're paying him whether he plays or not. We know what we're getting and I don't think he's suddenly going to improve at this stage, so he'll be back up unless there are injuries or suspensions.

However, if we were to bring someone new in as cover, there's no way we should be entertaining thoughts of a 25 year old from the side bottom of the National League. I'd rather see a youngster get his chance, or failing that, a journeyman who has played in the SPL. Which brings us back to Maguire, I suppose.

Interesting debate on where people think we need to strengthen.

I tend to think we’ll be ok at centre half once Casey & Butcher are fit. A back 3 of those 2 and McGinn will do for me, then you have Blaney, Mugabi and SOD who can fill in when needed. 

I’d be looking for an imposing holding midfielder and/or one that goes box to box. Along with a RB/RWB in the Max J mold, and a pacy striker than can also play wide to give us options. 

32 minutes ago, couttsy said:

I’d be looking for an imposing holding midfielder and/or one that goes box to box. Along with a RB/RWB in the Max J mold, and a pacy striker than can also play wide to give us options. 

We’ve just missed santa by a week or so.

• Haha 1

I expect a firm “Naw” here but Andy Halliday?

likely to get him for nothing from Hearts. Seems to be always well liked by the support he’s playing for. Sort of dogged nasty midfielder we could use? Always seems to give his all, I think he’s an upgrade on Paton and slattery?

he’s only 31 which I find hard to believe but he’s someone as a person I particularly dislike? Might be the rangers connection or that he’s a bellend or both? I’m unsure…. but I think he can play and might suit us?

Tin hat on.

2 minutes ago, mio said:

likely to get him for nothing from Hearts. Seems to be always well liked by the support he’s playing for. Sort of dogged nasty midfielder we could use? Always seems to give his all, I think he’s an upgrade on Paton and slattery?

he’s only 31 which I find hard to believe but he’s someone as a person I particularly dislike? Might be the rangers connection or that he’s a bellend or both? I’m unsure…. but I think he can play and might suit us?

Tin hat on.

Not for me mate but I can see why halliday would be a player that gets mentioned,I think we need a bit of pace and energy injected into our midfield,were so slow in there with and without the ball and I don't think he fits the bill in that's sense.it seems hearts are willing to let him go so he might be one that kettlewell has his eye on.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

A real shame. He was very highly rated a year or two back  but suffered a bad injury. I believe Liverpool were looking at him. Presumably, his loan with Annan didn't work out. 

he may well end up signing a perm deal with Annan. More that his contract with us expired. 

2 hours ago, wellsince75 said:

he may well end up signing a perm deal with Annan. More that his contract with us expired. 

Doesn't look like he played more than a handful of games for Alloa, if my info sources are correct.

49 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Doesn't look like he played more than a handful of games for Alloa, if my info sources are correct.

🤔 I’d be checking sources, 11 appearances which is nearly two handfuls in Ayrshire and the likes.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Orinoco said:

Hope someone is keeping track  of all the player outs. Seems madness that our team rebuilds are every window now. 

McGinley, Robbie Garcia and Robbie Mahon are back. Maguire and Mark Ferrie due back.

1 minute ago, Onthefringes said:

🤔 I’d be checking sources, 11 appearances which is nearly two handfuls in Ayrshire and the likes.

Can't remember what site I even looked at but they said 3 in one comprtition and 2 in another. Happy to be corrected then, and i'm going to leave out any gags about anyone being short of fingers 🙂

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

A real shame. He was very highly rated a year or two back  but suffered a bad injury. I believe Liverpool were looking at him. Presumably, his loan with Annan didn't work out. 

Aye, a real shame. Liverpool and Leeds offered him terms to join their Academies and Motherwell were happy with what was proposed compensation wise. Went to train with Liverpool for a couple of weeks prior to deciding who to join, but suffered a bad injury whilst down there. Motherwell stuck by him, hoping he could get back to something like his best. It was encouraging when he made the bench last season......maybe featured once? Sadly his time with us has now come to an end. Good luck to the lad.

The damage to his career due to injury at such a young age highlights why it is difficult for youth players to refuse a move when offered attractive terms elsewhere. Nobody knows what is round the corner.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, mio said:

Tin hat on.

rumour is heez dundee bound

23 hours ago, mio said:

Tin hat on.

there should be a job in recruitment for you at FP.  Very decent pedigree and would add value to our midfield

• Haha 1

• David locked this topic