2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

Think we're all getting ahead of ourselves.

It's only a rumour and even if its true it doesn't necessarily mean he'll accept their offer.

Despite what some people say, he's been one of our better and consistent players this season and I wouldn't be surprised if even more clubs were sniffing about him.

24 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

First things first…. He plays with us to end of season. 

Unless he accepts and St Midden offer a fee to take him now....

Not that I know anything, just putting it out there.... :)

42 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

First things first…. He plays with us to end of season. 

True. But there is the issue with players coming to the end of their contract. If he's agreed a contract elsewhere with a guaranteed SPL wage, will that affect his commitment for the rest of the season? Pulling out of challenges? 

51 minutes ago, santheman said:

Think we're all getting ahead of ourselves.

It's only a rumour and even if its true it doesn't necessarily mean he'll accept their offer.

Despite what some people say, he's been one of our better and consistent players this season and I wouldn't be surprised if even more clubs were sniffing about him.

Apparently he's attracting interest from south of the border too but all over social media that he's signed the pre contract with St Mirren 

1 hour ago, wellgirl said:

Its a boot in the baws for us. He doesn't have kids at school as far as I know 

He lives in Bishopton (so a short commute) and his kid is less than a year old.

44 minutes ago, Well-Made said:

Unless he accepts and St Midden offer a fee to take him now....

Not that I know anything, just putting it out there.... :)

Allegedly tried that and were told to FO.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

They need to get the PCA binned

Although I don’t like the idea of losing him to StMirren, I like less the idea the someone isn’t allowed to sort out their future before their contract is up - any of us can leave a job with a normal 3 month notice meaning the person doesn’t spend a few weeks without a wage. 

12 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

They need to get the PCA binned

St Mirren fans saying Robinson will announce two pre contract agreements after Window closes if one of them is Spittal do him and the club seriously think he wont get pelters until the seasons end potentially affecting his performances. PCA should not allowed to be made public 

16 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

St Mirren fans saying Robinson will announce two pre contract agreements after Window closes if one of them is Spittal do him and the club seriously think he wont get pelters until the seasons end potentially affecting his performances. PCA should not allowed to be made public 

It's a shithouse tactic, but I'd imagine most managers would use it if it could force an earlier move for the player they've signed on a PCA. Because of that, though, if a player is signed on a PCA to a team in the same league, it would make sense, and be fairer, that the PCA must be withheld from the public until the end of the season. However, I don't know enough about these things, although I remember Alexander being publicly annoyed about it when Watt signed a PCA with Dundee Utd.  

Presently, it seems to be only social media speculation that Spittal has agreed to join St. Mirren and I would not expect the club to comment on this.  However it would be reasonable to assume they have ‘confronted’ him to ascertain if it is true and the reason for him wanting to leave; although it’s likely to be either for a bigger wage, a longer term contract or both.

4 minutes ago, steelboy said:

If Robinson announces a pre contract for Spittal it tells you he's looking down the table not up it. 

The wheels are coming off St Mirren right on schedule. 

Why does it tell you that?

3 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Because if he thought they were going to compete for Europe rather than slide into the bottom 6 he would keep it under wraps rather than announce it early.

Sorry, I don't follow your logic. Why would challenging for Europe stop Robinson from announcing a pca with Blair Spittal, or anyone else? Hearts have announced Yan Dhanda has signed one with them. 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

PCA should not allowed to be made public

We live in an age where people seemingly know the age and schooling plans of players kids. You think a PCA has any chance of being kept quiet?

• Haha 1

Just now, David said:

We live in an age where people seemingly know the age and schooling plans of players kids. You think a PCA has any chance of being kept quiet?

Agreed, posting the intricate details of where he lives and the age of his kids and stuff is a bit... much.

5 minutes ago, GazzyB said:

Agreed, posting the intricate details of where he lives and the age of his kids and stuff is a bit... much.

The age and name of his kid doesn't involve any investigation. He made a video for Motherwell about the imminent birth, then posted photos of his wee boy on Instagram.

3 hours ago, Stuwell2 said:

Although I don’t like the idea of losing him to StMirren, I like less the idea the someone isn’t allowed to sort out their future before their contract is up - any of us can leave a job with a normal 3 month notice meaning the person doesn’t spend a few weeks without a wage. 

When does contract end? Is it a few weeks after the season ends? Would a player really loose a few weeks wages? I’m sure agents can make sure that doesn’t happen. I still think the contract negotiations with other teams should be restricted to the end of the current contract. The PCA thing puts club and player in an awkward position, or can put them in an awkward position. 

although I would say perhaps more awkward for the player. As MFC I would continue to play him but it is probably tougher for the player. 

4 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

When does contract end? Is it a few weeks after the season ends? Would a player really loose a few weeks wages? I’m sure agents can make sure that doesn’t happen. I still think the contract negotiations with other teams should be restricted to the end of the current contract. The PCA thing puts club and player in an awkward position, or can put them in an awkward position. 

If a player signing a PCA with another club feels like they've been put in an awkward situation, I suppose there's something they could do about that.

I'll be really disappointed if Spittal is off, whether it be to St Mirren or elsewhere. Like any of our players he's hardly irreplaceable, but he's been one of our best players so far and surely a guy we'd be looking to keep if we're hoping for any kind of continuity in the team next season.

• David locked this topic