2023/24 ins & outs discussion

David

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Think we should all move on.  Let's focus on who we can sign.  A striker...pleeasssseeeee

Now would be a good time for a joke grizzly 😂.

53 minutes ago, mfc said:

There's no way we're paying our sub goalie £2.5k a week.

No idea what he gets paid but i thought we paid money to sign him. Assume we planned on selling kelly & would have a good keeper in the Ox ready to step in. Would make sense that he is on a decent salary. Which still might be nothing like the figure quoted.

The Kelly connundrum is an interesting one. Regardless of how much he is earning, he is clearly one of our top earners and most likely THE top earner. You'd like to think we would be able to get another decent keeper for the money we are paying him, but I dont actually know what the going rate is, so it might not be that easy.

I thought we missed a chance by not trying to get Carson back when he left St Mirren as I think he is a better overall keeper, but given Kelly was still under contract at the time it probably wasnt plausible.

We also dont know how good Oxborough is, or otherwise, it would be nice to find out before we have to head out into the market again.

I wouldnt be against offering Kelly an extension, but I certainly wouldnt be improving terms. If he gets better offers elsewhere he may not want to stick around anyway and it will force our hand.

Its going to be another busy summer.

2 hours ago, wellgirl said:

It's common knowledge that Kelly is our highest paid player and that we offered him very decent wages to get him back 

It’s oft been said, with no basis in fact. Hardly common knowledge, it’s conjecture. He may well have been offered very decent wages, most are. How many disclose these details? Nil.

6 hours ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

SK was keen to keep Mandron, St Mirren offered more money 

SK put one over on Robinson there. "Oh, eh, aye we were really really hoping he stayed. Hate to lose a player of that quality"

1 hour ago, weeyin said:

SK put one over on Robinson there. "Oh, eh, aye we were really really hoping he stayed. Hate to lose a player of that quality"

Close, but probably a couple of paragraphs short of being authentic SK.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, wunderwell said:

So you think he should be top earner and that he is a priority of where we should put our budget.

Right back at you I am glad you are not head of recruitment.  Bet you suck at Monopoly.

Not interested in any of that. Just my opinion that offering any player a pay-cut to stay on for another two years is very likely to see them leave.

...Devil's advocate, but Daws and Kettlewell could have a million targets and be speaking to them, but you can't force players to sign.

It's the same when players leave at the end of their contracts - Their choice and often money talks.

3 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

Just my opinion that offering any player a pay-cut to stay on for another two years is very likely to see them leave.

Agreed. However, maybe a reduced offer is more realistic and reflects what he's worth?

All pure conjecture of course. What we don't know we make up.

17 hours ago, ForthThistle said:

I’ve literally got the fear. 

The boy from st  Mirren. Is that all we can muster in the time all other strikers are gone. 

miss management is an understatement.

A few things on Stav Nahmani as a potential target. 

First of all, he's only just turned 21 years old. He's still young in football terms, so he's still improving. 

He's also not had much of a chance at St Mirren. He's only started two games or something like that. Also, how St Mirren play and how they utilise their strikers may differ from how we do. 

Also, we can only afford what we can afford. Finances and availability within the market during this window is a huge factor.

Just now, David said:

Also, we can only afford what we can afford. Finances and availability within the market during this window is a huge factor.

There are a few on here who conveniently forget that fact and think we should be going for players way above our price range.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, steelboy said:

There's talk of Eamon Brophy now. Embarrassing. 

If I told you we were going to bring in a striker this window who was 27 years old and had scored over 50 goals in our top flight, you'd think that was a signing we didn't want or need?

12 hours ago, smiddy said:

the chat on here is shite, see if were not linked with anybody, can somebody just make a rumour up so at least the normals on here can say  "heez shite"   " waste of a feckin wage" " he wont feckin keep us up " that would be a better discusion than wondering if liam kelly spends his top earner wages in aldi or asda

The only way he's going to Asda is if he doesn't have a spare coin for Aldi trolley...much better value for money in Aldi.

• David locked this topic