Heavy Hands, Empty Stands...

David

5 hours ago, weeyin said:

The grocer's apostrophe must have pushed you over the edge.

I can almost forgive that one. The misuse of the apostrophe is so common these days that you wonder if it is taught in schools anymore. The use of “of” rather than “in” before “a collective voice” grates more in my opinion. I’ll also quietly add that the least said about the misspelling of influence the better.

4 hours ago, The African said:

I can almost forgive that one. The misuse of the apostrophe is so common these days that you wonder if it is taught in schools anymore. The use of “of” rather than “in” before “a collective voice” grates more in my opinion.

At least you didn't mention "influnce".

Grammar and spelling mistakes aside, anything that might add to the matchday experience(within reason) is OK with me.

9 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Grown adults sitting on the internet mocking the grammar on a flyer from young guys trying to do their bit to improve the atmosphere feels a bit slimy.

There's clearly an important issue here which deserves support, at least initially, and its not spelling or grammar. 

Anything which brings our fans together and with the club and also generates positive discussion is to be welcomed.   

• Like 2

9 hours ago, The African said:

I appreciate that I might be in the minority (possibly even of one?) but the use of “an” instead of “a” before “wider project” irks me somewhat. I am all for enhancing the match day experience and creating a better atmosphere, but this together with the inherent inability to spell “boys” may just have pushed me over the edge.

Perhaps spelling it ‘Bhois’ might be more appropriate…

• Sad 2

17 hours ago, Onthefringes said:

Semantics Mr Park. Entry to the ground with at least one box full of glossy copy paper isn’t exactly sneaking the stuff in so ‘access granted to the away support for a display’ isn’t an untruth.

Is that more conjecture? The young ones had a big banner displayed at the front and back of their section pre match which ran the full length, Rangers fans placed their protest cards on the seats pre match. No one group got more access than the other.

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

Grown adults sitting on the internet mocking the grammar on a flyer from young guys trying to do their bit to improve the atmosphere feels a bit slimy.

Fair enough (although I'd hesitate to hand over money to a group that didn't run a spell checker on a document they paid to print).

The initiative itself sounds like a plan to split the support and oppose the club (and the safety officer they hate) as a reaction to the "Heavy Hands" complaint, and that seems like a bad thing to me.

I'm all for better atmosphere at games, but I don't think this is the way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pretzel said:

Is that more conjecture? The young ones had a big banner displayed at the front and back of their section pre match which ran the full length, Rangers fans placed their protest cards on the seats pre match. No one group got more access than the other.

Conjecture? Not on my part. All that was said was ‘access granted to the away support’ which it was - in advance or not is nether here nor there. Don’t recall anybody mentioning one group gaining more access than the other?

For the avoidance of doubt, the representations to the club by many including those not in any of the groups & any protest isn’t down to no access to have displays.

10 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

I presume the talks will start with the following.

'As a group, we enjoy following the Mighty and wish to enjoy this in a safe and secure environment. To bring this matter to a close, we promise not to be wee dicks who throw smoke canisters onto the pitch, wether that be at home or away, especially at Kirkcaldy where stray ones were thrown into our disabled supporters and others just missed 3 young ball boys. We also promise no smashing up of pubs putting pressure on Motherwell staff to assist the Police in identifying idiots. In return we expect Mr Park to be fair to us in all reasonable requests, but if he can't facilitate this, then we will start another successful boycott that we had on Saturday 🤣 Gies peace, please either support or stay away. Ps If my plastic seat does not get padded, I will stand up the back of the east stand for 15mins before taking my seat. 

Well said, but be careful what you wish for, my seat in the POD is allegedly padded, but comfort was obviously not in the design brief for those seats when made over 70 years ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

I presume the talks will start with the following.

'As a group, we enjoy following the Mighty and wish to enjoy this in a safe and secure environment. To bring this matter to a close, we promise not to be wee dicks who throw smoke canisters onto the pitch, wether that be at home or away, especially at Kirkcaldy where stray ones were thrown into our disabled supporters and others just missed 3 young ball boys. We also promise no smashing up of pubs putting pressure on Motherwell staff to assist the Police in identifying idiots. In return we expect Mr Park to be fair to us in all reasonable requests, but if he can't facilitate this, then we will start another successful boycott that we had on Saturday 🤣 Gies peace, please either support or stay away. Ps If my plastic seat does not get padded, I will stand up the back of the east stand for 15mins before taking my seat. 

Why don't you join and then tell them all that in person? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

41 minutes ago, dennyc said:

Perhaps he does not fancy the abuse or threats that go the way of those that dare to speak up at games.

If the viewpoint is constructive why not?

Not going into the rights and wrongs, abuse or threats isn’t a good look - I’m of the opinion incidents of that nature are few and far between.

10 hours ago, GazzyB said:

I think “mocking” is a little strong but if you feel that way that is okay. I personally believe that both spelling and grammar are important for any form of written communication. They are necessary elements in getting the meaning of your message across correctly..

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Perhaps he does not fancy the abuse or threats that go the way of those that dare to speak up at games.

If he doesn't fancy the abuse or threats then maybe the best idea is to not act like a Billy Big Bollocks behind a keyboard posting what amounts to holier-than-thou smug nonsense?

I have zero skin in the game. I don't know any of the young lads up in the corner, and I don't know the Motherwell employee mentioned, but what I do know is that I'll always back a fellow rank & file supporter over the police unless there's evidence of a truly heinous crime having been committed.

My opinion and observation is that there's far too many older fans who are quick to sneer and belittle a group of young lads who add a whole lot of atmosphere and positives to the club. Are they perfect? Of course not. Who wasn't full of piss & vinegar at their age? Especially after a few beers? I seriously doubt anyone here can claim they didn't get up to daft shit when they were young.

I'm also old enough and wise enough to know how the police in Scotland operates. Which gives me enough reason to side with the supporters even more.

19 minutes ago, David said:

If he doesn't fancy the abuse or threats then maybe the best idea is to not act like a Billy Big Bollocks behind a keyboard posting what amounts to holier-than-thou smug nonsense?

Perhaps viewing from a distance gives a different perspective, but is it justifiable to seem to condone the use of abuse and threats against anyone who simply might hold a differing opinion?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Well said, but be careful what you wish for, my seat in the POD is allegedly padded, but comfort was obviously not in the design brief for those seats when made over 70 years ago.

It’s obvious your arse isn’t padded enough. Mine is and my seats fine. Take two steak pies ,a TWIX .. and a bovril at each home game from now to the end of the season that should sort it out.

Edited by stv
Smart ass teacher,s comment

8 minutes ago, stv said:

There ye are fixed it.  Ps. it’s called a twin in Scotland now have you no heard.

Really? You leave a country for nine years or so and it all goes to pot.

Something in the recesses of my tortured mind tells me that they were known as Ready on mainland Europe in the 1980s.

2 hours ago, David said:

I have zero skin in the game. I don't know any of the young lads up in the corner, and I don't know the Motherwell employee mentioned, but what I do know is that I'll always back a fellow rank & file supporter over the police unless there's evidence of a truly heinous crime having been committed.

My opinion and observation is that there's far too many older fans who are quick to sneer and belittle a group of young lads who add a whole lot of atmosphere and positives to the club. Are they perfect? Of course not. Who wasn't full of piss & vinegar at their age? Especially after a few beers? I seriously doubt anyone here can claim they didn't get up to daft shit when they were young.

I'm also old enough and wise enough to know how the police in Scotland operates. Which gives me enough reason to side with the supporters even more.

Plenty of folk have enjoyed the atmosphere the lads generate and have recognised, praised and often contributed to their various displays and good causes. For what it's worth I do appreciate much of what they add to matches and I hope they continue to contribute. And I support their right to do so.

But plenty of folk, me included, old folk and not so old folk, have also witnessed the types of incidents Robbos Boy mentions. From Kilmarnock to Paisley, from Dingwall to Kirkcaldy. Like you I have no foot in any camp. I don't know any of the Bois and I don't know any Club Officials or Police involved. I can only comment on what I have regularly  witnessed and it appears to me that the so called "self policing" is not working. And sadly the incidents have been escalating.

I don't usually agree with much that Robbos Boy comes up with, but on this occasion I think he makes a valid point. It may well only apply to a small minority within the group, but to suggest that The Bois do not go too far at times and to palm off any criticism as older fans with an axe to grind is nonsense.

But if you truly believe that incidents in the places I mentioned or that Robbos Boy highlighted did not occur, were exaggerated or were just high jinx, then so be it. I know what I have seen and heard and I fear it is only a matter of time until someone is seriously hurt..

I do hope the Bois can resolve the issues they have with some employees of Motherwell FC and also which I believe exist within their membership. That should then result in less confrontations with Police, Stewards and fellow Motherwell fans. There definitely appears to be plenty of good people with commendable intentions within the group. Fir Park especially and grounds throughout Scotland would be the worse off for their absence.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2