Celtic v Motherwell 22/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

He’s gutted. GUTTED!

72D468D6-05C4-4DC4-85DB-A1531698B5DF.jpeg

He was saying Kyogo is "the most compassionate player in the game".

Not sure if anyone else notices, but he often leaves the boot in/puts in late challenges. Goes under the radar because he shakes people's hand and acts apologetic all the time.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Robbos boy said:

So there you have it, Big Lazy KVV scores again, where would be if he ever gave a F@&¢k!!!, yet the doubters on here were on him like a Ton Of Bricks. Oh and for the benefit of MJC, tomorrow's test at 3pm,doesn't mean you have to scramble to your Anderson Shelter, its a test, a small wind will not always turn into a Tornado and rain a Tsunami, give yirself a small libation and relax. We took a point today with a great attitude and even had the luxury of bringing on young Lennon Miller, so to, sit down, close the curtains and with a loud voice scream 'WE ARE SAFE!!!!!!!!!' let it out son, let it out. 

Definitely agree with the "we are safe", KVV been immense since Kettlewell took over. Before that there were definite genuine good reasons for criticism but the Dutch maestro goals record unbelievable Jeff......I mean Robbo

23 minutes ago, MJC said:

He’s gutted. GUTTED!

72D468D6-05C4-4DC4-85DB-A1531698B5DF.jpeg

Tom Boyd is one I can not take to at all

Actually bumped into him in Bothwell one morning and said Hi Tom , he just blanked me like someone who thought he was better than anyone else 

Great captain in 91 etc , but does not ever have a positive thing to say about his old club either

3 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Definitely agree with the "we are safe", KVV been immense since Kettlewell took over. Before that there were definite genuine good reasons for criticism but the Dutch maestro goals record unbelievable Jeff......I mean Robbo

Can I ask Grizz criticism in what way?From what I could see he was playing in a honking formation,with honking tactics but still scoring goals.Would even go as far as saying he probably kept Stevie in a job longer with his goals he scored.

Was one of the players that for me was unfairly getting brunt of the abuse considering he looked like the only one doing his job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Actually bumped into him in Bothwell one morning and said Hi Tom , he just blanked me like someone who thought he was better than anyone else 

Great captain in 91 etc , but does not ever have a positive thing to say about his old club either

A man in his position being a player who was great player and last player to lift a trophy you would think would have so much respect for us. But.......... Ah well his loss

Just now, Spit_It_Out said:

Can I ask Grizz criticism in what way?From what I could see he was playing in a honking formation,with honking tactics but still scoring goals.Would even go as far as saying he probably kept Stevie in a job longer with his goals he scored.

Was one of the players that for me was unfairly getting brunt of the abuse considering he looked like the only one doing his job.

This isn't up for big debate as I have praised his amazing goals record and form. All I meant was before kettlewell there were definite games where he wasn't at full form which definitely not helped by having him in that 4 3 3 formation which thankfully scrapped.  There are players that can't do anything right and always open to criticism but players that can do no wrong.   Again. KVV goals record incredible and hopefully overtakes Kyogo just to wind up the sellik fans even more.... COYW and KVV 

19 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Totally agree,for someone that started there career with us then won the scottish cup as captain you would think he would show the club more respect,his antics before the 2011 final were a disgrace,lapping up the attention from the celtic end then soon as he got to ours he was kissing the celtic badge on the scarf round his neck,supposedly he was a drunken bam to some of our fans in hospitality that day as well.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

This isn't up for big debate as I have praised his amazing goals record and form. All I meant was before kettlewell there were definite games where he wasn't at full form which definitely not helped by having him in that 4 3 3 formation which thankfully scrapped.  There are players that can't do anything right and always open to criticism but players that can do no wrong.   Again. KVV goals record incredible and hopefully overtakes Kyogo just to wind up the sellik fans even more.... COYW and KVV 

I really hope he gets to that 30 that he wants also I hope he has a big fat goal bonus in that contract aswell.He deserves it.

Let's hope the split is kind to us.Up the Well!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mfc said:

Totally agree,for someone that started there career with us then won the scottish cup as captain you would think he would show the club more respect,his antics before the 2011 final were a disgrace,lapping up the attention from the celtic end then soon as he got to ours he was kissing the celtic badge on the scarf round his neck,supposedly he was a drunken bam to some of our fans in hospitality that day as well.

Strikes me as not the nicest of guys at all

I also bumped into Ally McCoist and Tommy Burns in the past . Two great guys with no Well connection at all that would have spoken for longer if they could .  

Back to current events and I really hope we keep Kevin Van Veen next year , without his goals we would have been relegated this year 

1 hour ago, twistandshout1983 said:

You should have said ,Hi Knobhead , and he would have known you were talking to him

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not wishing to contradict SK but KVV is a very good example of a player with an  ego in the most positive sense: great self-confidence, which many Dutch players have naturally.

His goal today stemmed from a long  clearance out right which might have ended up as just  a corner for most attackers at best but look how he finished.

Great credit to the manager for  setting up in the best formation for our limited resources. The players seem to believe in him and a result like today can only bolster this.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Big Wispy Flossy said:

The only criticism of van veen earlier in the season was for not telling hammell to GTF for having no one within 40 yards of him on a weekly basis.

he shouldn’t have been the doing the running for others

There were several games when he didnt do any running at all.

No one denies his value to the team.

No one says he should have been dropped.

Everyone realises his goals have kept us up.

But the difference in body language, effort and general application now compared to January is night and day.

It doesnt make you a hater to offer constructive criticism when you can see a senior player could be doing more.

Personally Im delighted that he has rediscovered his mojo.

I desperately hope he smashes the 30 goal mark and gets POTY. 

I just find it amusing how anyone offering constructive criticism of a good player gets it tighter on here than the boo boys who just slaughter players indiscriminately..........

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Robbos boy said:

See spit it outs reply, club legend bad manager, cup winning captain TOTAL PRICK, hope that answers the question, KVV one of the most skillful player's we've had in years, but for some reasons blind posters on here can't see it. 

Inability to see nuance is your downfall....

Didnt see the game today, but caught the highlights. Looked like a really solid defensive performance which was good to see after last weeks small blip.

Absolutely cracking run and finish from KVV for his goal and unlucky too with the other chance he created for himself.

Ketlewell has clearly turned this squad around. Hopefully we can get the early win from the last 5 games that we need to settle MJC's nerves and allow the club to start planning for next season.

7 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Great result today and KVV adds to his tally. Other results went pretty much as expected today with the exception of Killie  who I thought would only pick up a draw. Credit to Ketts and the players. 

Good to see that Motherwell's B team continued the tradition of blowing it when everything suggests a home win. In form, check, playing against a struggling team, check, full house, check.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. 

I'd still prefer they would have won though.

7 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

But the difference in body language, effort and general application now compared to January is night and day.

That can also be said of other players like Sean Goss, although KVV is a very obvious example. Most players regressed under SH, and we are now seeing more of them being played properly and consequently playing better.

As far as KVV specifically is concerned, at worst I wasn't sure what to make of him. His talent was never in doubt, as 24 goals prove. He did play through an injury(ies) to his credit. However I think much was down to how he was being played by Stevie Hammell. It certainly wasn't based on his strengths. A lone striker role with your nearest colleagues being played 30 yards away can't be easy. If he was demotivated, as other players appear to have been, then I don't blame him. 

Back to yesterday's game .......... 9 minutes added on time!! I've seen many halves in close games in which we've had goals, injuries, substitutions and blatant time wasting with less than 5 minutes added on. I can't recall the last time I witnessed 1 minute, let alone 2, played over and above the original figure; I know the official announcement always says "a minimum of..." but I don't recall it ever being enacted. I will have no problem with this, IF it becomes standard policy from now on. We'll see.        

RE KVV - I think him along with Butcher seem to be the 2 guys in the team who seem to have a bit of an 'X Factor ' about them. Not just the quality they offer, but their ability to raise the level of the team as a whole.

On current form, we could probably lose a Spittal or a McGinn without affecting the performance as a whole too much, take away one of those 2 though (or both), and the whole thing could fall apart. 

As others have said, with talents like KVV, they can blow hot and cold but ultimately they're the type of players that get a lot of folk through the turnstiles... you just never know what might happen!

Getting a bit ahead of myself but I'm increasingly starting to think he'll be away in the summer, and deservedly so in fairness. Wouldn't accept any less than 1m though.

• Like 1