Celtic v Motherwell 22/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

50 minutes ago, BigManTam said:

RE KVV - Getting a bit ahead of myself but I'm increasingly starting to think he'll be away in the summer, and deservedly so in fairness. Wouldn't accept any less than 1m though.

I’ll be very surprised if he’s still here next season. He’ll be 32 in June so he’ll probably be looking for one last ‘bigger’ move and his agent certainly will be. I think he has a year left on his contract? So we should get a fee for him if he goes this summer but it won’t be anywhere near £1M though. He will be a big loss when he goes, as strikers who can bag you 20+ goals a season are hard to come by for clubs our size.

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

That can also be said of other players like Sean Goss, although KVV is a very obvious example. Most players regressed under SH, and we are now seeing more of them being played properly and consequently playing better.

As far as KVV specifically is concerned, at worst I wasn't sure what to make of him. His talent was never in doubt, as 24 goals prove. He did play through an injury(ies) to his credit. However I think much was down to how he was being played by Stevie Hammell. It certainly wasn't based on his strengths. A lone striker role with your nearest colleagues being played 30 yards away can't be easy. If he was demotivated, as other players appear to have been, then I don't blame him. 

Back to yesterday's game .......... 9 minutes added on time!! I've seen many halves in close games in which we've had goals, injuries, substitutions and blatant time wasting with less than 5 minutes added on. I can't recall the last time I witnessed 1 minute, let alone 2, played over and above the original figure; I know the official announcement always says "a minimum of..." but I don't recall it ever being enacted. I will have no problem with this, IF it becomes standard policy from now on. We'll see.        

Your always very balanced KMc and I dont disagree with any of what you have said at all. I think thats where the nuance of the situation comes in that I referred to earlier.

If you look at KVVs goal yesterday check the distance between him and any Motherwell player when the  pass is played, and I guess that was the same for much of the game given the opposition.

Yet he chases the ball into a channel gets control of it and turns his man inside out to score. That just wasnt happening in the middle part of the season.

Now, that might just be down to good man management, and I take what you say about KVV carrying an injury, but, it was interesting to hear Kettlewell talk about egos and not showing poor body language in moments of disappointment. Could it be he has identified the problem and dealt with it in a positive way?

I accept now with hindsight that all of that has to be on Hammell, because whatever Kettlewell is doing now, Hammell couldnt/wouldnt.

Regardless. Im delighted to see the big man back to his unplayable shithousing best and look forward to him smashing the 30 goal mark for the first time in my lifetime before sailing off into the sunset on a 7 figure fee!

The difficulty will of course be replacing him.......

22 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Your always very balanced KMc and I dont disagree with any of what you have said at all. I think thats where the nuance of the situation comes in that I referred to earlier.

If you look at KVVs goal yesterday check the distance between him and any Motherwell player when the  pass is played, and I guess that was the same for much of the game given the opposition.

Yet he chases the ball into a channel gets control of it and turns his man inside out to score. That just wasnt happening in the middle part of the season.

Now, that might just be down to good man management, and I take what you say about KVV carrying an injury, but, it was interesting to hear Kettlewell talk about egos and not showing poor body language in moments of disappointment. Could it be he has identified the problem and dealt with it in a positive way?

I accept now with hindsight that all of that has to be on Hammell, because whatever Kettlewell is doing now, Hammell couldnt/wouldnt.

Regardless. Im delighted to see the big man back to his unplayable shithousing best and look forward to him smashing the 30 goal mark for the first time in my lifetime before sailing off into the sunset on a 7 figure fee!

The difficulty will of course be replacing him.......

People always go for a black and white situation...e.g hammel bad mgr, ketts good mgr

I think so much of it comes down to Casey and Butcher and the difference theyve made 

Kvv missed 2 open goals  whilst hammel was here, v livi and Dundee utd , that's not down to the manager.We ended up drawing both, now he's cracking them in for fun... ...it honestly is fine lines 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, MJC said:

I’ll be very surprised if he’s still here next season. He’ll be 32 in June so he’ll probably be looking for one last ‘bigger’ move and his agent certainly will be. I think he has a year left on his contract? So we should get a fee for him if he goes this summer but it won’t be anywhere near £1M though. He will be a big loss when he goes, as strikers who can bag you 20+ goals a season are hard to come by for clubs our size.

It'll be interesting to see what/if bids come in for him in the summer. 1m is a lot for an older player but if an offer of around 500k came in, I think we'd be better off just keeping him and let the contract run out. Bigger bids than that would perhaps only come from a country outside of Euro (China, Saudi). The question is how he'd react to the club rejecting a mid sized/low ball offer from a club down South, for example. If he's going to go in a huff then that could be the deciding factor in forcing a move through.

Anyway, all ifs and buts. At least we can enjoy watching him for the next 5 games!

21 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

People always go for a black and white situation...e.g hammel bad mgr, ketts good mgr

I think so much of it comes down to Casey and Butcher and the difference theyve made 

Kvv missed 2 open goals  whilst hammel was here, v livi and Dundee utd , that's not down to the manager.We ended up drawing both, now he's cracking them in for fun... ...it honestly is fine lines

Of course. There's rarely, if ever, one clear cut, 100%, factor. More often than not, its a combination of factors and yes, possibly fine margins.  However that doesn't preclude there being one overriding or dominant factor.

Casey and Butcher been huge signings plus KVV goals. What worries me is KVV got booked yesterday so is a suspension due? No one else chipping in with goals.

Surprise surprise Slattery got booking no 12 yesterday, he must be due a 3 or 4 game suspension but hopefully Deano back for next game anyway.. COYW 

28 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Casey and Butcher been huge signings plus KVV goals. What worries me is KVV got booked yesterday so is a suspension due? No one else chipping in with goals.

Surprise surprise Slattery got booking no 12 yesterday, he must be due a 3 or 4 game suspension but hopefully Deano back for next game anyway.. COYW 

Agree Grizzly, Butcher in particular is the captain we've missed for quite some time.

Re Slattery, he looks yard slow and this causes him to be late for tackles, give away several free kicks and ultimately get booked in most games he plays.   I believe he's a decent playery, if he was able to get himself into physically better shape I think we'd see a much better player. 

Slattery , Goss and Spittal all regularly get slated as a pack but they're all completely different players who add value. All have got positives that they add but none are the complete player - hence they play for us and not at a higher level. 

• Thanks 2

1 minute ago, wellsince75 said:

Agree Grizzly, Butcher in particular is the captain we've missed for quite some time.

Re Slattery, he looks yard slow and this causes him to be late for tackles, give away several free kicks and ultimately get booked in most games he plays.   I believe he's a decent playery, if he was able to get himself into physically better shape I think we'd see a much better player. 

Slattery , Goss and Spittal all regularly get slated as a pack but they're all completely different players who add value. All have got positives that they add but none are the complete player - hence they play for us and not at a higher level. 

Yep Butcher been immense, the interesting teaser is, do we keep in defence or move him into midfield next season, personally if it ain't broke....but we need to get Casey signed up.

The 3 midfielders do get stick on and off though at least don't get booed like poor SOD, still don't understand what he has done apart from playing poorly.

Once safe I look forward to see what Kettlewell's plans are for summer and how he sees us playing.  COYW

PS. Was talking to guy I know who worked in the post office counters but had to give up job due to bad skin allergy handling lots of coins, I asked him how his hands were these days and he said "No Change!!" Ba boom.... happy Sunday folks 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Even Peter Grant said how well we played.

I couldn't stand Grant as a player but as a 'Celtic minded' pundit he's actually okay and usually reasonable in his comments. Compare and contrast him to Tom Boyd with his dribbling whining and chip on the shoulder about anything and anyone out with Celtic then Peter Grant is night and day.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

I couldn't stand Grant as a player but as a 'Celtic minded' pundit he's actually okay and usually reasonable in his comments. Compare and contrast him to Tom Boyd with his dribbling whining and chip on the shoulder about anything and anyone out with Celtic then Peter Grant is night and day.

Agree 100% pal 

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I seriously detest that cunt. I'd airbrush him out of every Motherwell Team Photograph with him in it. A horrible horrible bastard

Him and people like him are one of the reasons why I detest Celtic so much. That horrible chip-on-the-shoulder and manufactured victim complex which he uses to pressurise match officials into giving Celtic decisions. He even took part in their ridiculous ‘Anyone but Celtic’ film which they released to ramp up their conspiracy nonsense.

32 minutes ago, MJC said:

Him and people like him are one of the reasons why I detest Celtic so much. That horrible chip-on-the-shoulder and manufactured victim complex which he uses to pressurise match officials into giving Celtic decisions. He even took part in their ridiculous ‘Anyone but Celtic’ film which they released to ramp up their conspiracy nonsense.

The other side are just as bad these days.

They used to just be insufferable self entitled bigots.

Now its the "you lot relegated us, we dont forget" nonsense.

They are the Donald Trump of football clubs......

26 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

The other side are just as bad these days.

They used to just be insufferable self entitled bigots.

Now its the "you lot relegated us, we dont forget" nonsense.

They are the Donald Trump of football clubs......

Matter of opinion. As I said last week in my opinion no they are not. 

There is no Rangers equivalent to Tom Boyd apart from anything else.

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

Matter of opinion. As I said last week in my opinion no they are not. 

There is no Rangers equivalent to Tom Boyd apart from anything else.

So it's just straightforward red white and  blue tinted hate everything green and white bigotry for you then, it's good to get your viewpoint established.

8 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So it's just straightforward red white and  blue tinted hate everything green and white bigotry for you then, it's good to get your viewpoint established.

No. It’s just straightforward having an ability and willingness to think for myself and form my own opinions based on my own personal experiences as opposed to being a sheep and conforming to groupthink mentality.

And to suggest that disliking Celtic more than Rangers equates to “red white and blue tinted hate everything green and white bigotry” is absolutely moronic talk. Even ‘bigoted’ moronic talk if the word ‘bigoted’ is applied correctly according to dictionary definition.

adjective:

obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.
"they're pandering to a vocal minority of ill-informed and bigoted individuals"
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, MJC said:

i am surprised peter grant  can actually talk after his operation ?? 

to get colin oneils elbow removed from his gub .. 

VAR woildv had a field day with that one :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, MJC said:

No. It’s just straightforward having an ability and willingness to think for myself and form my own opinions based on my own personal experiences as opposed to being a sheep and conforming to groupthink mentality.

And to suggest that disliking Celtic more than Rangers equates to “red white and blue tinted hate everything green and white bigotry” is absolutely moronic talk. Even ‘bigoted’ moronic talk if the word ‘bigoted’ is applied correctly according to dictionary definition.

adjective:

obstinately or unreasonably attached to a belief, opinion, or faction, in particular prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular group.
"they're pandering to a vocal minority of ill-informed and bigoted individuals"

So none of the above applies to your recent posts about Celtic or Tom Boyd, ok then 🤔 

Just now, Kmcalpin said:

It might have picked up something they wouldn't have liked. They would/should have been careful what they wished for. 😉

i can just mind missing it at the game  but pissin ma self at sportscene when the camera pans to oneil whos got that " whit the fuck yi oan about "look on his face HAHAHA feckin brilliant 

7 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

So none of the above applies to your recent posts about Celtic or Tom Boyd, ok then 🤔 

My recent posts about Celtic and Tom Boyd have been based on my own experience of them and my opinions on them based on that. To be clear, a man who has openly disrespected us as a club on more than one occasion and has annoyed and showed disdain to Motherwell supporters, including Tam Cowan at a club event (it’s been mentioned on here before). And is associated with a club who have signed several players from us on the cheap, who regularly bully and control the rest of Scottish football for their own means and who’s supporters often openly glorify the death of one of our 91 Cup winning heroes and who label anyone who doesn’t like them as “a Rangers fan without the bus fare” and imply that to show dislike of Celtic automatically means a dislike of RCs and the Irish. Now what’s not to like about people and football clubs with outlooks like that?

To suggest that anything that I have said about either has been examples of “red white and blue tinted hate everything green and white bigotry” is completely and utterly unreasonable and lacking any basis or rational thought.

Im sorry if I hurt your feelings over Tom Boyd and Celtic mind you x

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MJC said:

Met Peter at a lot of the Motherwell reserve games, he's better company than Tom Boyd

• Like 1

If you want to get any pleasure out of football, it's a good idea in general to avoid listening to what players have to say. There are a few exceptions, but mostly you'll end up disappointed. (The same, of course, is true for famous actors, musicians, players from other sports etc.)

Sometimes you can't avoid it, but most of the time it's pretty easy.

Back to the game, it looks like Celtic's point was a good result compared to Rangers.

It's a rare and fine weekend when both sides of the OF are unhappy. Long may it continue.

• Like 3

Sorry everyone was in Ayr this weekend and had no internet, Was absolutely buzzing when i saw the score and still am! Really hope we can somehow hold onto VV for another season, Massive result today 🙏❤️💛 First time Celtic have dropped points at home in over a year 💪

• Like 1