Celtic v Motherwell 22/04/2023

SteelmaninOZ

There both self entitled,delusional bigots that take turns playing the victim,whoever first coined the phrase two cheeks of the same arse was bang on.the best bit is that they would happily hold hands and skip into the sunset together to get away from scottish football,they need each other as there only relevant in the warped world they live in.

13 hours ago, star sail said:

Are you sure your not a Rangers fan MJC?

I think the 'rather not see that again' quote might have been me. Sorry if it offended you. You have certainly been holding onto it for some time. I think that quote was months ago.

I am 100% sure I’m not a Rangers fan, thanks for asking. I dislike Celtic more than Rangers but that does not equate to actually supporting or even liking Rangers.

Your post from a few months back didn’t cause me any offence, I just found it a bizarre take. Unless you know something I don’t about TB’s post match celebrations or there is something I either completely missed at the time or else completely forgotten about, I don’t see how you can deduce that his celebrations after that game were more driven by his supposed love of Rangers and delight at them winning the title rather than being pleased that the team he was manager of had just won in incredible circumstances.

You’re entitled to your opinion and if that’s just how you saw it then fair enough. I just don’t see what he did wrong that day.

Should he, the players and us as Motherwell fans just have quietly and respectfully left the ground that day, perhaps even apologising to Celtic, their fans and their players for ruining their title party? That’s certainly what a lot of Celtic fans and many of their players who were involved that day have basically said that they think we should have done when they have been greetin about the lack of respect we showed them.

2 minutes ago, MJC said:

I am 100% sure I’m not a Rangers fan, thanks for asking. I dislike Celtic more than Rangers but that does not equate to actually supporting or even liking Rangers.

Your post from a few months back didn’t cause me any offence, I just found it a bizarre take. Unless you know something I don’t about TB’s post match celebrations or there is something I either completely missed at the time or else completely forgotten about, I don’t see how you can deduce that his celebrations after that game were more driven by his supposed love of Rangers and delight at them winning the title rather than being pleased that the team he was manager of had just won in incredible circumstances.

You’re entitled to your opinion and if that’s just how you saw it then fair enough. I just don’t see what he did wrong that day.

Should he, the players and us as Motherwell fans just have quietly and respectfully left the ground that day, perhaps even apologising to Celtic, their fans and their players for ruining their title party? That’s certainly what a lot of Celtic fans and many of their players who were involved that day have basically said that they think we should have done when they have been greetin about the lack of respect we showed them.

One doth protest too much…

For me, the tribute act are beyond parody- they’ve become everything they hated about the other and then some.

Just to echo sentiment of others, 2 cheeks, same arse.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, smiddy said:

wee oneils look when the camera catches him  hahahahahaha feckin priceless   oh n what about some of them tackles ??? ffs the VAR man would shite himself,     might just be me but "that was real fitba" nae tippy feckin tappy  give it out n take it back  

Love watching these old vids. These boys didn't just play football, they went to all out war on the pitch. Glorious.

19 hours ago, star sail said:

Are you sure your not a Rangers fan MJC?

I think the 'rather not see that again' quote might have been me. Sorry if it offended you. You have certainly been holding onto it for some time. I think that quote was months ago.

Just to clear things up on that. I loved Bobby Russell as a player. I loved Colin O Neill as a player. His goal in the 4-2 Scottish Cup semi final gave me my single most enjoyable moment as a football fan on what was for me the greatest night of being a Motherwell fan in my life. 

I loved wee Tommy McLean. His management coincided with my most enjoyable days going to the football. I get nothing but pleasure from watching the videos above. They bring back many happy memories.

Davie Cooper was a gift from the heavens to Motherwell at the time and I consider it an absolute privilege to have watched one of the most gifted players in Scotland history wear claret and amber. 

When I think of all these players  I think of players who were playing for the Motherwell jersey. They were celebrating goals as Motherwell players. Tommy McLean sides were beating Celtic and Rangers for the Motherwell jersey.

My favourite ever Motherwell player happened to be Tommy Coyne, an ex Celtic man. I remember him having to take the abuse of Rangers fans about the tragic death of his wife when we played Rangers are Firpark and Coyne was visibly shaken. I think from memory Tommy McLean had to substitute him. It is those kinds of moments that strengthen s my belief that Rangers are not better than Celtic despite your claims otherwise. 

On Skippy Sunday I felt that Terry Butcher was celebrating more than just a Motherwell win. It is a personal opinion of mine that has obviously caused you some offense but it does remain something that I would not care to see again. 

I enjoyed Motherwell's draw on Saturday as much as I enjoyed Skippy Sunday. The impact that the Skippy Sunday result had on either Celtic or Rangers meant nothing to me.

As one last aside, if Celtic or Rangers were playing a European final I would and have supported both of them. Any bitterness I have for the OF does not extend beyond my wish to see Motherwell thump them both every time we play them. Sadly these days the pickings are lean. It's what makes Saturday's result something to celebrate and the videos above something to cherish forever.

Pretty much  my thoughts too, especially the final paragraph. I know decent  fans on both sides, as well as some absolute roasters, like those Rangers fans who subjected Tommy Coyne to the vilest abuse after his wife's suicide, which was simply appalling, like their behaviour here:

The reaction to our going ahead was an extended  riot which went totally unpunished by the SFA, of course. I could append a list of incidents in matches and with their fans which were unpleasant for me  but I don't dwell on them too much, although THAT cup semi-final in the mid-seventies will always rankle.

I went to a non-denominational primary school with just me, a Clyde and a Third Lanark supporter for company in an otherwise bluenose class, so didn't meet Celtic fans until after secondary.

Apart form an unpleasant experience trapped amongst The Green Brigade while walking to FP from Airbles, I haven't had much to generate strong emotions in that direction,  although I have become  increasingly  exasperated about complaints re masonic referees etc (to which I now  normally mention penalties generated by dives by Sinclair and McGregor as counterbalance).

Beyond any unfortunate personal experiences, I suspect those allergic to the union flag find Rangers fans more repugnant and those of a more ScotNat or  republican strain might be more tolerant of the other side but in the end  my loyalty to MFC overshadows all the above considerations.

I just hope we play in a better jersey next season 🤣.

2 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Pretty much  my thoughts too, especially the final paragraph. I know decent  fans on both sides, as well as some absolute roasters, like those Rangers fans who subjected Tommy Coyne to the vilest abuse after his wife's suicide, which was simply appalling, like their behaviour here:

The reaction to our going ahead was an extended  riot which went totally unpunished by the SFA, of course. I could append a list of incidents in matches and with their fans which were unpleasant for me  but I don't dwell on them too much, although THAT cup semi-final in the mid-seventies will always rankle.

I went to a non-denominational primary school with just me, a Clyde and a Third Lanark supporter for company in an otherwise bluenose class, so didn't meet Celtic fans until after secondary.

Apart form an unpleasant experience trapped amongst The Green Brigade while walking to FP from Airbles, I haven't had much to generate strong emotions in that direction,  although I have become  increasingly  exasperated about complaints re masonic referees etc (to which I now  normally mention penalties generated by dives by Sinclair and McGregor as counterbalance).

Beyond any unfortunate personal experiences, I suspect those allergic to the union flag find Rangers fans more repugnant and those of a more ScotNat or  republican strain might be more tolerant of the other side but in the end  my loyalty to MFC overshadows all the above considerations.

That was some game we were winning till their fans decided to help them by a wee pitch invasion.

Agree about the jerseys 

SIWY

3 hours ago, Happy Dosser said:

Horrible just to think back there was people singing about suicide

Hopefully never hear this type of chanting inside FP ever again

TC was a legend as well , absolute class player 

2 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Horrible just to think back there was people singing about suicide

Hopefully never hear this type of chanting inside FP ever again

TC was a legend as well , absolute class player 

Cobra Coyne , Buff Martin and Rab McKinnon were my favourite players of that era but whole team was class.....ok we maybe didn't have a class goalie but still great to watch 

13 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Cobra Coyne , Buff Martin and Rab McKinnon were my favourite players of that era but whole team was class.....ok we maybe didn't have a class goalie but still great to watch 

93/95 was a great time to be a Well fan looking back ,  great days

• Like 2

There are decent people who support both sides of the Old Firm, to deny that would be extremely narrow minded. 

By the same token there are some absolute roasters that support Motherwell, albeit on a much smaller scale to the Glasgow two given we have a much smaller supporter base. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Only time I seen him come off his line was ,95 cup tie at Easter Road and look what happened!!  And don't mention cup tie at fir park in 98 v rangers 

The only goalie I've  seen that played with his hands in his pockets.

• Haha 1