New kit for 2023/24

MJC

So with only five games left of us having to endure this seasons ridiculously bad home kit and with all kits now at half price, it’s safe to assume that we will be bringing a new kit out in the summer.

Obviously everyone has their own views on what our home kit should be like but for me we should be keeping it simple. A mostly Amber shirt with a claret band and trimmings and mostly amber shorts and both colours represented on the socks. I don’t see how that is difficult, no nonsense, no ‘out the box and different’ just go with our unique and vintage home colours and deliver us a proper Motherwell FC home kit.

I suspect we may well see a mostly Claret away kit next season as it’s been a few years since we’ve had that and as long as it’s done right then I wouldn’t be against that, as long as we only wore it when there was an obvious colour clash and not in every away game like we did with the 18/19 version.

What’s everyone’s views?

I'm very much a  traditionalist. Stick with the Claret Hoop. You very rarely see Ceptic change from their normal home strip of stripes. Why we need to go with the terrible strip we had this year I don't know. Only my opinion of course.

• Like 2

Anything that doesn't involve fluorescent colours is fine with me.

We can go full hoop as we don't need to worry about UEFA competition regulations.

My favourite look is the one from the 50s with white shorts, black socks, but claret is OK.

http://historicalkits.co.uk/Scottish_Football_League/Motherwell/images/motherwell_1951-1952.gif

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, yosemite sam said:

Why we need to go with the terrible strip we had this year I don't know. Only my opinion of course.

Sales I presume. If you keep the same style every season you only need to buy one every 10 years.

Claret shorts a must in my opinion. I would love a style similar to the ancell babes one with claret stripe in middle and also amber shorts.  Obviously I wasn't around then and majority of photos in my dad's scrapbook were in black and white but it did look good. 

For away strip anything similar to away one we had in 1977 where it was white with claret and amber stripe down one side with claret shorts and white socks.  I got that strip for doing well in primary 1. Sadly no longer have it which I am gutted about as might still have fitted us!! Lol

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Sales I presume. If you keep the same style every season you only need to buy one every 10 years.

Perhaps, but I would think that the fans who will buy the kits will largely buy the kits regardless of what they look like and those who won’t, wont. 

You see clubs like Newcastle, Hearts, Real Madrid, Aberdeen etc who all stick by their traditional core home colours and merely tweak their kits every year. That’s identity and that’s what we should do as well. 

We are in a fortunate position of having somewhat ‘different’ home colours as it is. We don’t have navy or light blue, or green or black and white, we have colours that in Scottish football at least are instantly associated with Motherwell FC. We don’t need to try and be different, just use our colours proudly and properly and we have a kit that stands out straight away.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Claret shorts a must in my opinion. I would love a style similar to the ancell babes one with claret stripe in middle and also amber shorts.  Obviously I wasn't around then and majority of photos in my dad's scrapbook were in black and white but it did look good. 

For away strip anything similar to away one we had in 1977 where it was white with claret and amber stripe down one side with claret shorts and white socks.  I got that strip for doing well in primary 1. Sadly no longer have it which I am gutted about as might still have fitted us!! Lol

I hate any strip we have with white shorts. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Claret shorts didn't make an appearance in our kit until 1973, so probably shouldn't be the traditionalists' option.

I don't mind them too much - it's amber ones I really dislike.

Yup hate amber shorts. Folk dont like our strip just now but I hated the Blackburn style top with amber shorts and claret socks from about 1996-1998, 

• Like 1

The colour combination / design of the strip is irrelevant as long as they are some form of claret and amber that's OK, there's no need for all this new strip malarkey every few years. For me the main priority is for the club to  bring in the right quality of players to wear them and perform well.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

That's the most positive thing you have said for a while!! Lol, great strip worn by a legend 

A great kit and a great player right enough. 

The best kits we’ve had in recent years were the 17/18 ‘Kipre’ kit, last seasons and the home top from the covid season, especially minus the sponsor. Only claret shorts would have improved that one.

I’m hoping we return to a more traditional kit next season but you just never know with us. You wouldn’t put it past us to bring out a half and half front top with an all white back and white shorts in a supposed ‘throwback’ to the jester kit we wore when we lost on penalties to Alloa in the League Cup in the mid 90s.

I loved that retro kit we had about a decade ago but we only used it once in Hammell's testimonial versus Everton. I'd happily take that, white shorts are fine by me

.image.jpeg.3abd92bdcc0564cec707b002c368a2f4.jpeg

2 hours ago, maz said:

I loved that retro kit we had about a decade ago but we only used it once in Hammell's testimonial versus Everton. I'd happily take that, white shorts are fine by me

Yep, to my eyes the white shorts accentuate our groovy colours: not, I suspect, a popular opinion but amber or claret shorts make either colour too predominant .

And since we have no chance of our appearing in the later stages of a European tournament, no excuse not to have a proper hoop on a regular basis. Days of the wee numbers are gone but normal white ones over the hoop are perfectly good. It's not going to happen, though.

If it's the jester outfit next season I'll be on the absinthe.

I must be the only one that liked the ‘70’s Admiral home kit, amber top with white and claret stripes on the sleeves, claret shorts with white and amber stripes and claret socks with white and amber stripes at the top. 
We also had the top above and with amber shorts with claret and white stripes with socks to match.

The Admiral white away kit was just as good.

19 hours ago, maz said:

That was a beauty, but was it ever on sale?

41 minutes ago, MJC said:

That was a beauty, but was it ever on sale?

Yep, I managed to get one just before they sold out. The lovely Andy P bought it and posted it off to me.

• Like 1

The strip we wore against the h**s in the 1976 SC semi......with the white top and claret and amber strips down one side, but with claret shorts and socks would get my vote. We've had a couple similar over the years but with white shorts, which is shite 🙂

I like this years kit.

I kinda wish we'd swapped the shorts around with the home and away kits though.

Big advocate for white shorts.  That's our colours and there is no getting away from it.

We should have a hoop most of the time but I think it's OK to have something different once in a while.  

Just not anything like the 'harlequin' kit......

1 hour ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I like this years kit.

I kinda wish we'd swapped the shorts around with the home and away kits though.

Big advocate for white shorts.  That's our colours and there is no getting away from it.

We should have a hoop most of the time but I think it's OK to have something different once in a while.  

Just not anything like the 'harlequin' kit......

Or the black kit