Cup game Queen of the South v Motherwell 18/07/2023

SteelmaninOZ

9 hours ago, SteelmaninOZ said:

The gaffer said 

It's pretty clear from this interview that Kettlewell knows we need to sign a natural goalscorer (and ship out Shields and maybe Efford) and fire Lamie and Mugabi into the moon. The latter two have had too many chances and continue to make costly mistakes; they can't be coached to be any less of a risk to us than they already are.

Another game for Kettlewell to assess the fringe players.

Souare looks like he could be a player. Took up good forward positions. Obika Held the ball up well and looks very strong. Slattery looking more like his old self and looks a lot fitter. Spittal right on his game.

Bevis, not a better centre half in the league in the air, ball at his feet is another story.

Lamie what can I say that hasn't already been said.

In saying that playing on a park that resembled a sponge with strange bounces everywhere probably didn't help.

Need more firepower up front as Wilkinson doesn't look to be an out and out striker.

Kettlewell will know by now the areas he needs to improve on and the players he can rely on.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, santheman said:

Another game for Kettlewell to assess the fringe players.

Souare looks like he could be a player. Took up good forward positions. Obika Held the ball up well and looks very strong. Slattery looking more like his old self and looks a lot fitter. Spittal right on his game.

Bevis, not a better centre half in the league in the air, ball at his feet is another story.

Lamie what can I say that hasn't already been said.

In saying that playing on a park that resembled a sponge with strange bounces everywhere probably didn't help.

Need more firepower up front as Wilkinson doesn't look to be an out and out striker.

Kettlewell will know by now the areas he needs to improve on and the players he can rely on.

There is no place on this forum for sensible posts like that.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Watching those videos Spittal looks a lot leaner than last season. 

I was thinking the same thing,slattery looks a lot leaner as well,making that run forward for his goal last night,we wouldn't have seen him doing that last season,it actually looks like the players have been put through there paces unlike last summer under alexander.

One thing for me is we look a bit lightweight in midfield on the tackling front when Butcher isn't involved think would like to see a tackler brought in even on a 6 month deal if possible should Butchers injury come back to bite us.

Pretty sure out starting midfield will be Slats,Spittal and Butcher when he is fully fit.

16 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

One thing for me is we look a bit lightweight in midfield on the tackling front when Butcher isn't involved think would like to see a tackler brought in even on a 6 month deal if possible should Butchers injury come back to bite us.

Pretty sure out starting midfield will be Slats,Spittal and Butcher when he is fully fit.

Agree with that.

There were times when their midfield were winning  50/50 balls way too easy which put us under unnecessary pressure. Going forward the midfield looks fine but defensively it does look a bit on the light side at times.

Compared to this time last season it's still night and day in terms of shape and fitness.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Butcher has never played midfield for us...

Some decent highlights there. Obika looks like he was really unlucky not to score at least 1 goal. Hitting the woodwork twice and a good save from their keeper. He should do better with the one in the second half, but he is getting in good positions. Lovely lay off for Slatterys goal. 

I didn't think we got it quite right last night. It depends of course on SK's priorities for the game. The League Cup is a strange competition coming at an awkward time. Premiership managers like to get gametime in legs for the squad whilst lower league opposition prioritise winning and giant killing. I think last night proved we weren't quite enough to play a number of fringe players (for good reason) and still win against league 1 opponents. Maybe the balance wasn't quite right. 

I think it proved what many of us already knew and SK knows.  We lack a goalscorer up front - Obika has his strengths but he's not a main goalscorer.  That said, I don't know much about Wilkinson. Central defence gives me the fear if Casey and Butcher are unavailable. The jury is still out on Blaney. I don't think that Mugabi and Lamie are quite good enough as backs ups and both have a year to run on their contracts. What if Butcher is out for several months - that could give us a problem. 

To lose 3 goals to a League 1 side isn't good enough but SK knows that and I'm confident he'll deal with it.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

1 was a soft penalty, not to split hairs as the 2nd goal had them queuing up to slot home. We didn't field a settled side either.

Just watched the highlights and I agree. Also Lamie's 2nd yellow also looked borderline. Not our night luck wise.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Just watched the highlights and I agree. Also Lamie's 2nd yellow also looked borderline. Not our night luck wise.

The referree had a 15 minute spell towards the end of the game when he seemed to give every decision to Queens which was a bit bizarre because up to that point I thought he was having a good game then just seemed to lose the plot a bit.

Massive cheer when he finally gave us a free kick.

On 7/19/2023 at 11:06 AM, wellfan said:

It's pretty clear from this interview that Kettlewell knows we need to sign a natural goalscorer (and ship out Shields and maybe Efford) and fire Lamie and Mugabi into the moon. The latter two have had too many chances and continue to make costly mistakes; they can't be coached to be any less of a risk to us than they already are.

Lamie and Mugabi have both had good spells in the team so I don't think they are uncoachable.

However they are both inconsistent and have mistakes in them.  I think Lamie has more 1st team potential than Mugabi and I'm not against both or either being replaced but as 2nd string players I think they are worth a place in the squad.  They are both experienced, know the league and have a wee bit versatility, Mugabi can go to right back and Lamie can go to left back in an emergency. 

What I wouldn't want would be Lamie and Mugabi together as the centre backs for any length of time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Lamie and Mugabi have both had good spells in the team so I don't think they are uncoachable.

However they are both inconsistent and have mistakes in them.  I think Lamie has more 1st team potential than Mugabi and I'm not against both or either being replaced but as 2nd string players I think they are worth a place in the squad.  They are both experienced, know the league and have a wee bit versatility, Mugabi can go to right back and Lamie can go to left back in an emergency. 

What I wouldn't want would be Lamie and Mugabi together as the centre backs for any length of time.

Perhaps good enough to be 2nd string, but they're likely on relatively high wages, which we probably can't afford to have sitting on the bench every week. I think the dynamic will change if Sam Campbell comes back from his six-month loan and forces his way in front of them, which I hope is the case for the young lad. 

5 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Perhaps good enough to be 2nd string, but they're likely on relatively high wages, which we probably can't afford to have sitting on the bench every week. I think the dynamic will change if Sam Campbell comes back from his six-month loan and forces his way in front of them, which I hope is the case for the young lad. 

Lamie, Mugabi shouldn't be played at the same time. Both have qualities to offer but both have cost points and will continue to do so. 

I'd let them move on and like you said start bringing in the likes of Campbell and others coming through the ranks.  I'm far more tolerant of youngsters making mistakes than senior pro's who're simply unable to learn/stop the same thing happening. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

I'm far more tolerant of youngsters making mistakes than senior pro's who're simply unable to learn/stop the same thing happening. 

Exactly, but it can be a fine balancing act across a season to not over-expose the youngsters vs not ship goals due to certain pros being consistently and predictably guff. 

• Like 1