Cup game Motherwell v Queens Park 22/07/2023

SteelmaninOZ

A wins a win, not a classic but the three points are most welcome. Queens retained the ball well early in the game passing confidently at the back but they kept over hitting long balls out the park. They had a spate of corners around the ten minute mark and it was around then I felt we started to click a bit. 

I felt we were our own worst enemy at times as Casey was one of the early offenders with a slack pass out of the back. On a few occasions we regained possession and played a ball forward but we were a bit static up top. Despite his miss it was nice to see Obika get some luck with his goal.

That big number 5 in defence for Queens was having a nightmare it was a shame Obika couldn't punish him and the keeper for that miscommunication. It was quite funny when Wilkinson dinked the ball away from the keeper as he was rolling it out only for the long range effort to clip the bar.

Special mention to Dom Thomas, he had three free kicks in useful positions and over hit each and everyone. 

Tough game as expected, we had a similar game against them at Firhill a few years ago which ended in the same scoreline. 

3 hours ago, jonnymfc said:

I'm finally going to say it. Stephen O'Donnell is stealing a wage from us. Absolutely no impact on the game ans again had an absolute shocker. 

New RB required. 

So constantly going up and down the line and making a goal saving challenge didn’t impact the game? It’s fair enough if you don’t like him but at least be factual about his performance.

• Like 5

Today was a struggle as I thought it would be. Still a wins a win. Thought Queens Park looked better organised, worked harder and were pacier than us but lacked something up front. Had we had a more potent strikeforce then perhaps their shaky defence would have been properly tested. They also had a stonewall penalty for handball turned down. For our part we lacked width and defended far too deeply for long spells.   For whatever reason, I thought our midfield was anonymous and for longs spells didn't compete. Up front we lacked movement and an outball.  Not sure yet about Wilkinson.  Obika did some good supporting work but he's no goalscorer. 

On today's evidence we lack a decent striker and a holding midfielder (maybe the Macedonian lad will fit the bill?). Not sure yet about our two wing backs. 

The most glaring thing for me was our absolute lack of pace, it looked like our midfield and strikers had concrete boots on which is a worry.

Its early days but I think we are at least 2 short of a decent team and 4 short of a decent squad, the bench was a worry with zero impact players.

25 minutes ago, Yodo said:

Front two won’t do we won’t threaten any of the teams in the league with that attack. 

They'll have to do. Can't just sack them a month into their contracts.

A real tough watch yesterday, all the hallmarks of a pre season friendly - which obviously it would have been before the new league cup format. Still tinkering with team and tactics, a few players not quite there yet (some seem a lot further back than others) but no reason to panic just yet. There were glimpses of a right good team in there at times too, nice movement on and off the ball, just lacking an end product. Defence was much improved from Tuesday night too. 

Midfield concerned me last night, although Slattery had a good game in spells. For considerable periods though, it was anonymous. Queens Park competed better and looked more mobile and better organised in the engine room.  It concerned me that we defended too deeply for long spells - reminiscent of how we would normally play against the better league teams. Now whether all thats thats down to lack of fitness, poor individual performances or instructions or something else I don't know. I would hope that for a large part of the second half we didn't take the view that "we'll sit on a 1 goal lead and see the game out".

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Midfield concerned me last night, although Slattery had a good game in spells. For considerable periods though, it was anonymous. Queens Park competed better and looked more mobile and better organised in the engine room.  It concerned me that we defended too deeply for long spells - reminiscent of how we would normally play against the better league teams. Now whether all thats thats down to lack of fitness, poor individual performances or instructions or something else I don't know. I would hope that for a large part of the second half we didn't take the view that "we'll sit on a 1 goal lead and see the game out".

My main concern Dave was our lack of threat up front, the Queens Park defence is brutal, especially the big number 5 they had playing and the Keeper.

Obika the less said about his miss the better, and he got out of Jail with his deflected goal he has no pace and looks like he is towing a caravan every time he runs. Wilkinson is the same for someone his Size he never put any pressure on the keeper, looked slow and generally contributed nothing.

If we start the season with those two as our main strikers I have the fear as that partnership won't generate very many goals, I hope I'm wrong but I worry that unless we get a goal scorer in soon we are going to struggle big time.

• Like 1

Don't want their to be an over-reaction but some of the things were seeing in these games were typical at the start of the Hammell downfall. How after 3 seasons we still have not signed a Defensive-midfielder I don't know. Feel like we lack the grit required to win the midfield battle and felt we got over-run and outworked in there. Wouldn't be against moving Butcher into midfield when hes fit and sgning an organiser to play in the middle of that back 3

I think one thing that's guaranteed this season is that Spittal and SOD will be the whipping boys again which I find bizarre. Spittal's assists and goals record is very good, yes he makes mistakes but who doesn't?. Also I thought SOD done fine yesterday apart from some bizarre wayward passes. Had a vital clearance 2nd half which seemed to go unnoticed. 

• Like 5

Spittal has been fantastic for us since Kettlewell took over and SoD i think just has to move on and be replaced just feel his time with us has ran it’s course.

As for the frontline I never thought Obika would be our main goal threat and what’s a tad alarming for me is Wilkinson going missing and involvement in the games he has played so far.

Needs to get stuck in a bit more for me does Wilkinson.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Spit_It_Out said:

Spittal has been fantastic for us since Kettlewell took over and SoD i think just has to move on and be replaced just feel his time with us has ran it’s course.

As for the frontline I never thought Obika would be our main goal threat and what’s a tad alarming for me is Wilkinson going missing and involvement in the games he has played so far.

Needs to get stuck in a bit more for me does Wilkinson.

Wilkinson had no cutting edge yesterday, maybe just not razor sharp yet

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thewelllfan said:

Have you seen him play? From the snippets i've seen he looks a similar profile to Slattery the only #6 we have is Maguire

the point you made is we haven'y signed a defensive midfielder in 3 years but we have. Irrespective of how good he is we have signed him. 

We also signed Butcher and Paton last season for similar roles.