Cup game St Mirren v Motherwell 19/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

35 minutes ago, Wellsince1976 said:

In the paper today it says Arsenal have written into the loan that he is only allowed to play a certain number of minutes due to an injury.

Kettlewell said in his last interview that we were advised to limit his minutes initially, and in his own words "we are clear of that now." So the papers picking up on half of the sentence.

He's coming back from injury and missed a chunk of pre season, we will be building him up to start soon enough.

Same old, same old with us in Cup ties. All we ever get is let down.

For those saying “I’d rather lose in the league cup than in the league”, the League Cup is one of only two competitions that we have a realistic albeit outside chance of winning. So for us to continually perform so badly in cup competitions is absolutely pathetic and something that should be a great source of concern to the club. 

Looking at the bigger picture, there are obvious concerns over the squad depth and quality available and I think we need to bring in at least one more attacking option before the window shuts otherwise we will struggle for goals in the league this season.

6 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Yep, he looked a crock last week, you're tiresome bud 

I’m only going by the comment from the poster I quoted. I had no idea about Arsenal inserting a clause in Biereth’s contract which limited his playing time due to him carrying an injury. If, and I repeat IF that is true then you’ve got to ask the question of why we have signed another forward player with injury issues. 

Just now, MJC said:

I’m only going by the comment from the poster I quoted. I had no idea about Arsenal inserting a clause in Biereth’s contract which limited his playing time due to him carrying an injury. If, and I repeat IF that is true then you’ve got to ask the question of why we have signed another forward player with injury issues. 

cause we like to keep the physios busy  

Kettlewell completely fucked that. Twice

The Macedonian was a man down and actually assisted their goal. Letting him come back out for the second half was criminal. Changing the back 3 was stupid as well.

Then in the second half he waits far too long to put Mika on and somehow takes off the wrong striker. Then when we are starting to look dangerous for the first time in the game he changes the shape and brings on young Ferrie who was anonymous in an unfamiliar role so we are back to basically 10 men and all the pressure lifted off St Mirren.

Big questions about recruitment and tactics again and it'll be interesting to see if Kettlewell holds his hands up in the post match spiel. 

What pisses me off is we have 1400 fans there and again for the hundredth time at least in my time supporting them they let a big crowd down. If we'd gor a result we have got a carry over in attendance for the Kilmarnock game. As it is it will be the same bloody 4000 diehards. We never carry momentum as soon as it looks like building we serve up shite like today.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MJC said:

Same old, same old with us in Cup ties. All we ever get is let down.

For those saying “I’d rather lose in the league cup than in the league”, the League Cup is one of only two competitions that we have a realistic albeit outside chance of winning. So for us to continually perform so badly in cup competitions is absolutely pathetic and something that should be a great source of concern to the club. 

Looking at the bigger picture, there are obvious concerns over the squad depth and quality available and I think we need to bring in at least one more attacking option before the window shuts otherwise we will struggle for goals in the league this season.

Struggle to get goals. That might be the biggest understatement of all time. No money. No CEO. Rudderless club. Only saved from relegation by one players goals. It is going to be a long hard season. 

• Like 1

Just now, MJC said:

And as usual it’s in a knockout cup tie against a fellow Premiership side. 

“Aw well” though. 😐

feck sake at least were no getting feckin scudded every week which happened for so long last year   just let  us be thankful we are still in the premier league  and hope things settle down

9 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Who said he was injured?

Recovering from an injury. Which is fine if his recovery is straightforward. But there's no guarantee that's the case. Obika will miss more games than he plays, Wilkinson and Efford both coming back from long term injury, Bair apparently wasn't able to train properly between Dundee and Hibs, Souare has barely kicked a ball for the last four seasons. Taking a lot of risks for a guy that wants to run with a smaller squad.. 

2 minutes ago, ppower said:

Struggle to get goals. That might be the biggest understatement of all time. No money. No CEO. Rudderless club. Only saved from relegation by one players goals. It is going to be a long hard season. 

I'm not so sure , sure we were honking today yet one of the supposed better teams in the league creates one effort against us even when we played so badly. We will play better and far too early to say the seasons gonna be a long hard one.

St Mirren had a big crowd too, we don't have the divine right to win a game.

I feel like we could have went for it a bit earlier, as we weren't making chances, and I think they only had to make one save, so that's disappointing. Especially since we have been good for at least a goal in every game recently.

5 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

Recovering from an injury. Which is fine if his recovery is straightforward. But there's no guarantee that's the case. Obika will miss more games than he plays, Wilkinson and Efford both coming back from long term injury, Bair apparently wasn't able to train properly between Dundee and Hibs, Souare has barely kicked a ball for the last four seasons. Taking a lot of risks for a guy that wants to run with a smaller squad.. 

Absolutely, I pointed this out - on the ins and outs thread re Souare - when someone said "he will do" - I pointed out gambling everything on him is completely wrong.