SPL Motherwell v Kilmarnock 26/08/2023

SteelmaninOZ

5 hours ago, David said:

We can't keep going from season to season with that approach. Things don't go well, we panic and spend a ton of cash we don't really have.

Welcome back! 😉

Edit:

Ok, it wasnt for long, but the real David is still in there! 

59 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Welcome back! 😉

Edit:

Ok, it wasnt for long, but the real David is still in there! 

There's no version of David that would ever look at handing someone like Theo Bair a 2 year deal, or signing Obika being a good idea 😂 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, David said:

Look at what I said. I'm talking about the calibre of players they were when they arrived with us. Not how they did at the club.

Spittall and McGinn were regularly slagged off as useless in their first season, so not sure that is a good measure of player quality. Same for Goss who many fans were saying was no big loss in the summer. 

There are countless examples of players we have signed taking a few months to settle in, but every August we see the same old posters rolling out the same tired script.

I can only imagine how bad it would be if we'd lost a league match this season. 

Part of the fun of watching a team like ours is seeing new players and youngsters develop over the course of a season. That is never a straight line progression. 

If you want a team to buy instant success then Motherwell is not for you. Even Chelsea are struggling with that approach. 

Grab a beer (or beverage of choice) and enjoy the ride. It's why we love the game. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Spittall and McGinn were regularly slagged off as useless in their first season, so not sure that is a good measure of player quality. Same for Goss who many fans were saying was no big loss in the summer. 

Aye, slagged off by the typical negative Nancy's in our support. I thought both were very solid in their first season. They're exactly the kinds of players we should be signing. That's our level.

But, the point I'm making is that the calibre of players we've signed this year is down on previous seasons. And by that, I mean their form and track records before coming here.

When we signed McGinn and Spittal, I looked at their previous records and reckoned there was a better-than-average chance of them succeeding here.

I'm not saying the same about the guys we've signed so far.

There are countless examples of players we have signed taking a few months to settle in, but every August we see the same old posters rolling out the same tired script.

There are. But that doesn't negate the point that signing someone with the track record of a Theo Bair to a two-year deal, no less, is a relatively new low for our club. 

And by "the same old posters," I will assume you don't mean me because I've had no reason to doubt our signings for the most part in recent years.

This summer is different. We're signing what can only really be described as losers to this point. Guys who aren't good enough for St Johnstone, and in Obika, we signed a striker who scored one solitary goal for us last season.

As I mentioned, in the past, we'd be grabbing guys like Bair and Obika on six-month deals at the tail end of the window or in January to make up the numbers (in Obika, we did exactly that last season).

These are now players who look like they'll feature fairly prominently for us this season, and that worries me.

Part of the fun of watching a team like ours is seeing new players and youngsters develop over the course of a season. That is never a straight line progression. 

If you want a team to buy instant success then Motherwell is not for you. Even Chelsea are struggling with that approach. 

Grab a beer (or beverage of choice) and enjoy the ride. It's why we love the game. 

Yeah, I get all that. You're acting as if I'm new to this team. I'm not. I've been watching them since the mid 80's. 

And at absolutely no point have I mentioned buying instant success. That's just stupid. 

What I'm saying, and what absolutely no one seems to be willing to accept, is that the players we've signed this summer have track records that strongly suggest they'll accomplish the square root of fuck all at Motherwell. 

We've seen guys like this come through the doors before, and they usually do nothing before leaving quietly after six months to a year.

The only difference this year is that they're not here for six months to a year. And they're the best we have on the books, which is as depressing as it gets. 

I'm usually a "glass half full" guy, but honestly, watching how we're playing at the moment and the unimaginative signings we're making has me worried. It's as simple as that.

And I know, everyone else is happy to give these guys until January to show us that they can defy their recent track records (or, in the case of Bair, completely turn his entire professional career on his head), which is fine.

I don't think they'll accomplish much, and I'm thoroughly uninspired by our signings so far. That's allowed, I think.

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, David said:

Aye, slagged off by the typical negative Nancy's in our support. I thought both were very solid in their first season. They're exactly the kinds of players we should be signing. That's our level.

But, the point I'm making is that the calibre of players we've signed this year is down on previous seasons. And by that, I mean their form and track records before coming here.

When we signed McGinn and Spittal, I looked at their previous records and reckoned there was a better-than-average chance of them succeeding here.

I'm not saying the same about the guys we've signed so far.

There are. But that doesn't negate the point that signing someone with the track record of a Theo Bair to a two-year deal, no less, is a relatively new low for our club. 

And by "the same old posters," I will assume you don't mean me because I've had no reason to doubt our signings for the most part in recent years.

This summer is different. We're signing what can only really be described as losers to this point. Guys who aren't good enough for St Johnstone, and in Obika, we signed a striker who scored one solitary goal for us last season.

As I mentioned, in the past, we'd be grabbing guys like Bair and Obika on six-month deals at the tail end of the window or in January to make up the numbers (in Obika, we did exactly that last season).

These are now players who look like they'll feature fairly prominently for us this season, and that worries me.

Yeah, I get all that. You're acting as if I'm new to this team. I'm not. I've been watching them since the mid 80's. 

And at absolutely no point have I mentioned buying instant success. That's just stupid. 

What I'm saying, and what absolutely no one seems to be willing to accept, is that the players we've signed this summer have track records that strongly suggest they'll accomplish the square root of fuck all at Motherwell. 

We've seen guys like this come through the doors before, and they usually do nothing before leaving quietly after six months to a year.

The only difference this year is that they're not here for six months to a year. And they're the best we have on the books, which is as depressing as it gets. 

I'm usually a "glass half full" guy, but honestly, watching how we're playing at the moment and the unimaginative signings we're making has me worried. It's as simple as that.

And I know, everyone else is happy to give these guys until January to show us that they can defy their recent track records (or, in the case of Bair, completely turn his entire professional career on his head), which is fine.

I don't think they'll accomplish much, and I'm thoroughly uninspired by our signings so far. That's allowed, I think.

What a feckin long winded whinge you really do go Into meltdown mode over things, okay so your not impressed by our recent signings, fair enough just say that then and move on to your next debating project.

When you support Motherwell every season is an adventure will the players signed be sugar or shite, will we win anything,  stay in the league, unearth a 29 goal a eason star etc etc, you pay your ticket money and take a chance.

So just enjoy it we've been doing okay in the top league for 38 years now, loads of European tours, a few cup finals,  a champions league spot so let's see how the season pans out and have this debate in January or next summer when we are entering year 39 as a top league side.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

What a feckin long winded whinge you really do go Into meltdown mode over things, okay so your not impressed by our recent signings, fair enough just say that then and move on to your next debating project.

When you support Motherwell every season is an adventure will the players signed be sugar or shite, will we win anything,  stay in the league, unearth a 29 goal a eason star etc etc, you pay your ticket money and take a chance.

So just enjoy it we've been doing okay in the top league for 38 years now, loads of European tours, a few cup finals,  a champions league spot so let's see how the season pans out and have this debate in January or next summer when we are entering year 39 as a top league side.

I must have missed the part where you have to reply to me? Just scroll on by mate. If you don't want to discuss the points I'm making, feel free to move on. 

It's not hard.

On the subject of Killie this Swedish team Aberdeen are playing have a top class 4G pitch which the teams are actually able to play football on. If the league can't force Killie and Livi to put down grass surely they could make them use plastic that isn't utterly shite.

The competitive and financial advantage the two plastic teams get from their shite pitches is a direct disadvantage to us yet we seem to do nothing about it.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, steelboy said:

On the subject of Killie this Swedish team Aberdeen are playing have a top class 4G pitch which the teams are actually able to play football on. If the league can't force Killie and Livi to put down grass surely they could make them use plastic that isn't utterly shite.

The competitive and financial advantage the two plastic teams get from their shite pitches is a direct disadvantage to us yet we seem to do nothing about it.

Except FIFA hasn’t endorsed or approved anything more than 3rd Generation. 4G & 5G is a marketing ploy.

14 hours ago, steelboy said:

The Kilmarnock and Livingston pitches must meet Fifa requirements or else they would not be allowed to play on them as per law 1 below. It seems the only requirement is that the surface is green.

. Field surface

The field of play must be a wholly natural or, if competition rules permit, a wholly artificial playing surface except where competition rules permit an integrated combination of artificial and natural materials (hybrid system).

The colour of artificial surfaces must be green.

Where artificial surfaces are used in competition matches between representative teams of national football associations affiliated to FIFA or international club competition matches, the surface must meet the requirements of the FIFA Quality Programme for Football Turf or the International Match Standard, unless special dispensation is given by The IFAB.

so they may be crap surfaces to play on and seen as a financial and competitive advantage to the clubs but I don't think the authorities can do much about it given Current legislation.

17 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Surely leagues can set their own criteria. 

It's obvious both pitches are in disrepair to maximize financial and footballing advantages. 

The various member associations probably can set their own criteria for certain things, but they can't alter the laws of the game.

Setting aside the minutes applause which will be well respected by all fans let's move on to the match.

Been a lot of negativity and concerns this week and with a lot of justification but we need to create a positive atmosphere as if any hint of nerves or criticism from the stands just plays right into killie's hands.

Let's get behind the lads and hopefully roar us onto 3pts.  COYW 

On 8/24/2023 at 9:25 PM, steelboy said:

When I was watching the Aberdeen game I didn't know it was a plastic pitch until the commentator mentioned it. Killie and Livis pitches are abysmal in comparison. Esp Kilmarnocks it looks like an end cut from Carpetwise