Motherwell v St Mirren 16/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, MelvinBragg said:

It wouldn't astound me to see Kettlewell shift O'Donnell in one to right centre half and play Gent and Spencer as wing backs. Not saying that's what will happen but wouldn't be totally surprised if it did...

Agreed, but a lot might depend on the extent of Blaney's injury, which we know nothing about.  Just to add to the mix, can Gent play in central defence?

33 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agreed, but a lot might depend on the extent of Blaney's injury, which we know nothing about.  Just to add to the mix, can Gent play in central defence?

I suspect even if Blaney is fit, it may be an option that Kettlewell may favour. Might be wrong, but I get the impression that he is unconvinced by Blaney. As am I, as it goes...

23 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Maybe someone can return the favour to Charles Dunne for last time 👊

He should certainly be getting dogs abuse for his nigh on assault on Biereth the other week. Him, Robinson and the rest of the thunderdomers should all be getting it tight.

3 hours ago, GazzyB said:

A break 4 weeks into the season is pish.

Everything about international football is pish.

I really don’t see why they don’t play more qualifiers in June of the year that there is no Euros or World Cup instead of having these breaks once a month for the first three months of the season.

3 hours ago, MJC said:

He should certainly be getting dogs abuse for his nigh on assault on Biereth the other week. Him, Robinson and the rest of the thunderdomers should all be getting it tight.

If we had Brendon Rogers as manager he would be spending these two weeks running Dunne’s reputation into the ground making sure the officials knew what an animal he was and to be watching out for his antics 

32 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

If we had Brendon Rogers as manager he would be spending these two weeks running Dunne’s reputation into the ground making sure the officials knew what an animal he was and to be watching out for his antics 

Agreed but we wouldn’t get anywhere near half the exposure that Rodgers would get so it wouldn’t have the same effect. The manager of Celtic will always have a huge amount of clout in the media but Brendan Rodgers is on a different level and it seems like every journalist and pundit hangs on his every word like he’s the second coming of Jesus Christ.

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Agreed but we wouldn’t get anywhere near half the exposure that Rodgers would get so it wouldn’t have the same effect. The manager of Celtic will always have a huge amount of clout in the media but Brendan Rodgers is on a different level and it seems like every journalist and pundit hangs on his every word like he’s the second coming of Jesus Christ.

Was it any different when Walter was at The Rangers?

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

dunne is a bench warmer texan,    only brought on to kick cnuts :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Was it any different when Walter was at The Rangers?

Possibly, possibly not but that’s irrelevant. Walter Smith hasn’t been the Rangers manager for over ten years while Brendan Rodgers is the current Celtic manager. Therefore he does hold alot more sway with the media than our manager ever could and that is the point being made here.

15 hours ago, MJC said:

Everything about international football is pish.

I really don’t see why they don’t play more qualifiers in June of the year that there is no Euros or World Cup instead of having these breaks once a month for the first three months of the season.

Speak for yourself. I enjoy the internationals. Gives time for our injured players to recover too. And Scotland doing great.

2 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Speak for yourself. I enjoy the internationals. Gives time for our injured players to recover too. And Scotland doing great.

I do speak for myself. I’ve just go no interest in international football and find it boring, fake and a complete pain in the arse that gets in the way of the real stuff.

The only positive for me is as you say it gives our injured players the opportunity to recover, hopefully anyway. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2023 at 8:52 AM, MJC said:

I do speak for myself. I’ve just go no interest in international football and find it boring, fake and a complete pain in the arse that gets in the way of the real stuff.

The only positive for me is as you say it gives our injured players the opportunity to recover, hopefully anyway. 

Talking rubbish. Whys it fake? Nothing boring about watching Scotland beat Spain. Scotland doing great.

• Like 1

On 9/8/2023 at 5:08 AM, MJC said:

Possibly, possibly not but that’s irrelevant. Walter Smith hasn’t been the Rangers manager for over ten years while Brendan Rodgers is the current Celtic manager. Therefore he does hold alot more sway with the media than our manager ever could and that is the point being made here.

Journalists report the news. They dont usually influence it. And dont influence matches. Teams with larger supports always get more ckcerage as they have more readers. Coaches always try to play mind games before matches. Its part of the game now. Try to get over it.

3 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Journalists report the news. They dont usually influence it. And dont influence matches. Teams with larger supports always get more ckcerage as they have more readers.

I agree with your overall point but you're wrong about this. Journalists most certainly do influence "news". For a start they decide, and therefore censor, what articles are reported and how they are reported. There are several reasons for that, including commercial ones. Anything that doesn't suit their agenda is ignored at worst or pushed down the agenda at best. The English premier League is a classic case in point.  Despite the BBC claiming to be strong on diversity and fairness, that certainly doesn't  extend to Scottish football. The newspapers and TV can and do influence viewers' and readers' knowledge and preception of games by cutting out incidents they don't want shown or by highlighting those that they do. That influence also extends to general football coverage.

Deep down, I don't have any objection to most of it especially by private organisations, as I don't have to pay for it if I don't want to do so; don't have to read or view it; and as long as they don't say its unbiased and factual. I do however have issue with the BBC as its funded by taxpayers' money and I have no choice but to pay for it. 

Apologies for the rant.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Journalists report the news. They dont usually influence it. And dont influence matches. Teams with larger supports always get more ckcerage as they have more readers. Coaches always try to play mind games before matches. Its part of the game now. Try to get over it.

The point is though that certain representatives of certain bigger clubs manage to get their rhetoric broadcast to a much wider audience.

A manager of a smaller club airing their opinion on their club TV isn't going to have any impact on the opposition.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

The point is though that certain representatives of certain bigger clubs managed to get their rhetoric broadcast to a much wider audience.

A manager of a smaller club airing their opinion on their club TV isn't going to have any impact on the opposition.

Agree 100%. They can also unduly influence governing  bodies and put pressure on match officlals. 

7 hours ago, robsterwood said:

Talking rubbish. Whys it fake? Nothing boring about watching Scotland beat Spain. Scotland doing great.

Scotland had a goalkeeper playing the other night who has represented England right up to u21 level. It was only when he realised he wasn’t getting a sniff at full international level for them that he decided to be ‘Scottish’. That is but one tiny example of why I think international football is fake. You can’t or shouldn’t be able to just choose your nationality.

If you or anyone else enjoys watching Scotland then that’s up to you. I don’t and have little to no interest in it and that’s that.

6 hours ago, robsterwood said:

They absolutely do influence the news. Alot of the press in this country know to toe the party line for Celtic otherwise they would be out of a job or their lives made a misery. Therefore whatever Rodgers or anyone connected to Celtic says, no matter how small or irrelevant it will get exposure and won’t be challenged by anyone in the press.

One of the best examples I can provide is that of Neil Lennon. No matter what he did, whoever he argued with, squared up to, or whatever set of fans he openly goaded, his stooges in the media always backed him to the hilt and played the sectarian card for him.

46 minutes ago, MJC said:

They absolutely do influence the news. Alot of the press in this country know to toe the party line for Celtic otherwise they would be out of a job or their lives made a misery. Therefore whatever Rodgers or anyone connected to Celtic says, no matter how small or irrelevant it will get exposure and won’t be challenged by anyone in the press.

One of the best examples I can provide is that of Neil Lennon. No matter what he did, whoever he argued with, squared up to, or whatever set of fans he openly goaded, his stooges in the media always backed him to the hilt and played the sectarian card for him.

I agree with the above, 100%. I would ask though, does this influence also extend to Rangers? Cantwell's dying swan act first seen at Fir Park has continued without challenge and has now made it's European debut. The only person who highlighted his behaviour at Fir Park was benched immediately by the BBC. Wonder why that was?  For clarity, I think it does.

But may I suggest that you yourself are influencing folks' perception by concentrating purely on Celtic and playing down the effect of other Club's media manipulation. Walter Smith suggested as a prime example a few posts ago was more or less dismissed. Even Aberdeen in recent years given the amount of time Sportsound devotes to their success... or otherwise. Hearts under Begg? It will always be the case that the perceived bigger teams and their larger fan base will benefit from greater media coverage and carry greater clout when it comes to suppressing or placing stories. I don't see that changing. It's what sells more newspapers, retains media access to grounds and inspires dedicated phone in participants.

But yes, Rodgers is an annoying twat. 

• Like 1

The influence does indeed extent to Rangers albeit to a lesser extent than it does to Celtic. Thereafter it extends to Aberdeen(albeit they are second only to Celtic on Radio Scotland) l, Dundee Utd and then the two Edinburgh clubs. 

Walter Smith when at Rangers definitely did hold a lot of sway with the media but in the last 10-12 years there is no question, imo, that Celtic are the club who are the most powerful and thus hold the most power and influence over the media and the rest of Scottish football.

To bring it back to the context of Saturdays game, ideally we and SK call out Dunne and St.Mirren and ‘ask for protection’ from the officials but as been said, we don’t have the clout that bigger clubs do so it would get very little exposure in the media.