Motherwell v St Mirren 16/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

4 minutes ago, MJC said:

To bring it back to the context of Saturdays game, ideally we and SK call out Dunne and St.Mirren and ‘ask for protection’ from the officials but as been said, we don’t have the clout that bigger clubs do so it would get very little exposure in the media.

Amongst middle ranking clubs  such as ourselves, St Mirren and Partick hold more sway with the media than most. Perhaps  because of proximity to major media premises.  

4 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Amongst middle ranking clubs  such as ourselves, St Mirren and Partick hold more sway with the media than most. Perhaps  because of proximity to major media premises.  

Personalities play a big part amongst those middle ranking clubs. We got more than our share of media coverage under Burrows, often due to initiatives or innovations he supported. Whereas the only time I recall St Mirren getting a look in during those years was when Burrow's counterpart (John Needham) made an ill advised comment regards Rangers fans and the River Clyde following a Celtic defeat. Other than the big five clubs mentioned I think it is more or less equal coverage for us lesser lights.

Kettlewell seems to have a decent relationship with the BBC and has featured fairly often. McFadden and (Cantwell comments aside) Foster contribute regularly and are not shy about bigging up Motherwell. So I don't think  we are that hard done to. 

8 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

The point is though that certain representatives of certain bigger clubs manage to get their rhetoric broadcast to a much wider audience.

A manager of a smaller club airing their opinion on their club TV isn't going to have any impact on the opposition.

I get that rhetoric of larger clubs manager gets more air time. I do however think it has minimal impact on matches. Given we have vr now also. And we can also use it to motivate our players.

2 hours ago, dennyc said:

Personalities play a big part amongst those middle ranking clubs. We got more than our share of media coverage under Burrows, often due to initiatives or innovations he supported. Whereas the only time I recall St Mirren getting a look in during those years was when Burrow's counterpart (John Needham) made an ill advised comment regards Rangers fans and the River Clyde following a Celtic defeat. Other than the big five clubs mentioned I think it is more or less equal coverage for us lesser lights.

Kettlewell seems to have a decent relationship with the BBC and has featured fairly often. McFadden and (Cantwell comments aside) Foster contribute regularly and are not shy about bigging up Motherwell. So I don't think  we are that hard done to. 

Fair comment. I doubt SK will go down the Fergie (Man U, not Hamilton Accies) route of psyops for this game. We can beat them with better tactics and personnel. The last thing we need is one of ours being sent off for a rash tackle and the game plan getting ripped up.

As far as Walter Smith is concerned, I remember when Souness complained about our defensive tactics after we beat them at Ibrox (Farningham goal?) that he said he would have done the same thing had he been 'Well manager.

I also quite liked his description of Michael Higdon showing "great economy of movement". At least he had a sense of humour, and I rarely cut RFC any slack.

And of course Cantwell is a U-Boot type not averse to leaving his foot in nastily when it suits him.

34 minutes ago, smiddy said:

is this really the vs st midden  thread ?????       or the scottish media shite talkers thread ???   just askin for ma pal at the SUN     :thankyou:

That’s international weekends for you.

The sooner the real football is back the better. It’ll be a tight one on Saturday, would love a win but think this one’s a draw.

2-2

25 minutes ago, MJC said:

That’s international weekends for you.

The sooner the real football is back the better. It’ll be a tight one on Saturday, would love a win but think this one’s a draw.

2-2

well MJC hers one for you off topic i know but intresting ,     i am led to beleive by a very good source that the engerland national team will be training / practicing there shape on fir park either monday afternoon or tuesday morn  watch this space                  you can thank me later

50 minutes ago, smiddy said:

well MJC hers one for you off topic i know but intresting ,     i am led to beleive by a very good source that the engerland national team will be training / practicing there shape on fir park either monday afternoon or tuesday morn  watch this space                  you can thank me later

Auld news that Smiddy 

Hopefully we can continue our good run of results in the league for at least another week. This is a game we should be looking to pick up all three points from, though the league cup tie shows that the teams are pretty evenly matched. Forget about talk of revenge and settling scores though. We don’t need the distraction. A focused, professional display will do nicely with a win at the end.

I can see this being close, and would not be surprised with a draw, but home advantage makes me hope that a two one win for the ‘well will be on the cards.

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

What’s up with Spittal

TEAM NEWS

Calum Butcher remains missing for this match.

Mika Biereth, Pape Souare, Conor Wilkinson and Jon Obika are also all unavailable for Saturday.

Liam Kelly is a doubt after he pulled out of the Scotland squad with a back injury last week.

Blair Spittal and Shane Blaney are also struggling with knocks and will be assessed this week.

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2023/09/12/were-back/

Assuming everyone injured remains so, and McGinn is suspended, I would go.......

Oxborough

Spencer SOD Bevis Casey Gent

Davor

Slattery   Miller  Paton

Bair

Not the worst looking team and with more dynamism feom the fullback areas we should give St Mirren a different problem to solve than last time out. Our big issue is off the bench there wont be much left to change it up other than Shaw for Bair or a midfielder. Hopefully Spittal will make it as he is our most important player so far this season.