Motherwell v Celtic 30/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

7 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Good point. We have been playing very well and we are all expecting some better players to return to the team. So how good will we be then?

I think the likes of Butcher, Gent and Biereth will make a big difference when they're all fully fit. That'll give a much needed and timely boost to the defence and attack.

I'm not overly bothered if we play well in the next 4 games or not (although that would be nice) as long as we  pick up the points. In short, follow the old Alex Ferguson / Matt Busby philosophy of "Just do it and don't get caught".    

3 hours ago, steelboy said:

The second one he only has to come off his line and catch it inside the 6 yard box. First one he watches it go right by him. 

He's a bottler which is why Clarke won't play him. A good goalie for us but any time the pressure is on he buckles. 

I forgot how much shite you talk and personally attack players, fucking give it a rest. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

I agree but Shaw is, on today's evidence, not the answer if we're playing the system with four supporting midfielders and one striker. Obviously fitness is a factor when you've been chasing the ball all.game but it did seem like the ball stopped sticking up front when Bair went off. The pressure felt that bit more relentless and Shaw was losing possession a bit more easily than Bair...

Bair over Shaw in our system, new signing and want him to do well but so far, ineffective and powder puff.

• Like 1

Gutted with that today, and will take a bit of getting over, like us all I thought we had rescued deserved point at the death, only to go to sleep 2 mins later.

Thought Kelly was deffo at fault for the first, not so sure about the 2nd to be honest, looked like we lost a runner into the box, disappointing given how well we had defended for 86 mins. But as others have said, an encouraging performance versus a team with 20/30 times our budget. 

3 or 4 winnable games coming up, let’s hope we can stay organised and find some goals from somewhere! 

ImStill gutted but not going to be coming out looking to blame folk.  In theory if lost 1-0 wouldn't have been gutted.   I thought whole team worked so hard but main issue is we have hee haw up front. The Bair gives his all and can link play but lucky if you get 3-4 goals a season.  Shaw needs games but I ain't convinced yet...but......fact we have played old firm and gutted we have lost both shows how far we have progressed..... kettlewell main man for me

• Like 1

3 hours ago, stv said:

Brilliant performance in the second half especially really enjoyed the game . End to end stuff.

Gutted about the result but to blame SK for anything is pretty poor , he set up the team well and nearly pulled it off. If it had ended 1-1 all the posts would have been about how well we played.  Remember how much money that Celtic team cost compared to us.

Sometimes a bit of perspective is needed. But i do get a laugh at some of the post tho.

Agree with the post. My mate and i were talking about the money gap that gives that mob a big advantage over the whole league. Thought it was a good game and we did well to limit Celtics chances. We have no real proven scorers where Celtic can field 3/4 every game with another few on the bench. No benefit in blaming individuals as we gave it our all.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

ImStill gutted but not going to be coming out looking to blame folk.  In theory if lost 1-0 wouldn't have been gutted.   I thought whole team worked so hard but main issue is we have hee haw up front. The Bair gives his all and can link play but lucky if you get 3-4 goals a season.  Shaw needs games but I ain't convinced yet...but......fact we have played old firm and gutted we have lost both shows how far we have progressed..... kettlewell main man for me

Good post Grizzly. Sums up my view.

• Thanks 1

Yeh im not going to lie, I was a little salty and whiney in my previous post today, But a lot of good came from today and last week, If you offered me last season to be battling Celtic & Rangers toe to toe and only be losing by one goal i would have ripped your hands clean off, It was mostly the players today i felt sorry for, They definitely deserved a draw and a point but whats done is done, Both ugly sisters out of the way and 3 winnable games coming up.

Onwards and upwards, Will still be taking my Motherwell towel to spain next week 😎💛

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Still gutted Dave. Can't believe we lost it but lads gave it everything 

Between last week and today we gave a good account of ourselves,were sitting in a decent position in the league with winnable games coming up and some players back from injury in the not so distant future so we're going along nicely.we deserved something from the st mirren game,we got beat last week with a lucky deflection and today was gutting at the end,hopefully with a bit of luck we can turn games like those in our favour going forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2/6 tae get in said:

Agree with the post. My mate and i were talking about the money gap that gives that mob a big advantage over the whole league. Thought it was a good game and we did well to limit Celtics chances. We have no real proven scorers where Celtic can field 3/4 every game with another few on the bench. No benefit in blaming individuals as we gave it our all.

I'm not singling out players BUT it's all for nothing if you don't do the basics.

Celtic didn't win today through a bit of quality.  It was a ball into the box in the last minute of the game, we should have handled it and we didn't.

That happens against Livingston and players would get pelters.  You shouldn't get off the hook just cos it's Celtic. 

The whole plucky loser thing is worthless.  You either do or you don't in this game and I'm afraid we didn't.

It's so, so frustrating. 

That's the most frustrated I've felt leaving Fir Park in a long time. The players left everything on the park so no criticism is deserved, yes we could have defended the ball into the box better, yes we should have taken a few more chances and yes we could have made substitutions earlier, but at least we are competitive against the clubs with superior budgets now, we just need to (somehow) start winning against them on a regular basis.

As for Willie Collum, why is he allowed to referee football games?

4 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Yeh im not going to lie, I was a little salty and whiney in my previous post today, But a lot of good came from today and last week, If you offered me last season to be battling Celtic & Rangers toe to toe and only be losing by one goal i would have ripped your hands clean off, It was mostly the players today i felt sorry for, They definitely deserved a draw and a point but whats done is done, Both ugly sisters out of the way and 3 winnable games coming up.

Onwards and upwards, Will still be taking my Motherwell towel to spain next week 😎💛

Just a towel? 😉

• Haha 2

As others have said, todays scoreline is very frustrating on a number of levels.

I actually didnt think we were very good for the first 30 minutes. We were still organised and defended well, but we were poor in possession and didnt really create anything of note. However, we did eventually get a foothold in the game, finished the half strongly and probably had the 2 best chances of the game to that point.

Second half was much better. A really enjoyable half of football with end to end stuff. We carried much more of a threat but the downside to that was we left ourselves a little bit more exposed at the back as a result, so it wasnt a surprise when we did eventually concede.

The first goal looked to me like it was a cross, so disappointing to lose it that way,  but we didnt let it effect us and thoroughly deserved the equaliser when it came. I felt sure we had secured a point and to lose it in the fashion that we did was an absolute sickener.

Hard to criticise anyone after what was another excellent overall performance, but there were areas where we let ourselves down and we need to keep trying to improve and learn from those if we want to avoid becoming a perpetual hard luck story.

Still with players starting to come back from injury and a much more winnable run of fixtures coming up, I think we should be able to put some more points on the board before the first quarter cones to an end.

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Watching highlights and again soaure at fault for a goal. Nowhere near O'Riley for winning goal

I haven’t watched it again but i thought at the time that Souare was completely the wrong side of the attacker. Therein lies part of the issue or problem for SK or any coach. You have tired legs but players are “tuned in” to the game so do you bring on a sub with fresh legs but perhaps not tuned into the game Or leave on the player tuned into the game but with heavy legs?  It could go either way so I can’t be too harsh on the coach. 
    Results have been very frustrating but the last two games especially, I have enjoyed our performance more than I have in a long time. We didn’t roll over but stood face to face with our opponents and showed that while there may be a wide gap in finances, perhaps the gap in ability is not so wide as it is perceived to be. A well used phrase has been used many times with reference to results, bad and good, against our peers, in that it’s fine margins which way the result goes but it would seem now that it can also be applied to results against the old firm.