Motherwell v Celtic 30/09/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, MJC said:

This outlook of “these games are irrelevant” is why, in my opinion, we haven’t beaten Celtic since 2015, Rangers since 2017 and haven’t recorded a league victory against them in over twenty years. This attitude and mindset runs right through our club from the boardroom to the support.

I am fully aware and fully accept that we will never compete with either over a course of a season and am also fully aware that we will lose the vast majority of games against both sides due to the huge gulf in resources, as is the case with every other non OF club. However, other sides of a similar stature and with a similar budget to us have managed to get wins against them, both of them in some cases since we last managed to beat one of the Old Firm almost six years ago now. Kilmarnock have managed to do a double over the already this season to give but one example.

I personally don’t see us beating either of the Old Firm ever again, partly because the gap in finances is increasing and also because of our collective mindset and mentality as a club. Numerous managers have come and gone, numerous players have come and gone since we last managed to beat either of them and the support nowadays just shrug their shoulders and dismiss these games as irrelevant. To me that points to a mentality issue within the club as a whole. I’ll say it again, Kilmarnock have beaten both of them already this season. Does anyone think we would have done the same had we played them both at home? Seriously? No, neither do I.

I actually agree pal with the fact that all of the other sides have managed to get at least a draw at some point over the previous seasons but we just haven't been able. Though Sunday I felt we deserved a draw and if we hadn't lost a lucky goal and had converted our chances it could have been a different story

29 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

I actually agree pal with the fact that all of the other sides have managed to get at least a draw at some point over the previous seasons but we just haven't been able. Though Sunday I felt we deserved a draw and if we hadn't lost a lucky goal and had converted our chances it could have been a different story

Well we’ve managed to get draws with both of them in recent times, last season 1-1 at Parkhead and the season before 1-1 and 2-2 at Ibrox. But I was talking more about actually getting wins in this fixture. And Sunday there was just another in the latest of the long line of hard luck stories, particularly against Rangers.

How many times have we come out of those games saying “we deserved more” or “if only we had done this or not done that”?? It’s always the same old story for us, whether we get outright pumped or run them close but lose anyway. Other sides like like Killie, St.Johnstone, St.Mirren, Dundee Utd, Ross County even Accies have managed to record wins in recent times against one or both of them whilst we pat ourselves on the back for a supposed ‘brave’ showing in a narrow defeat or shrug our shoulders when on the end of a heavy pumping and tell ourselves that it doesn’t matter because of budgets etc

On 9/25/2023 at 10:15 PM, David said:

A narrow defeat where we play quite well is almost inevitable. We just don't have someone who can score goals.

up front yes    but we have midfielders who are more than capable of scoring , if only the  smellic centre backs are so intrested in not letting bear arse score  our mid boys will burst the net !!!!!     well at least they will in my wee brain 😁

9 hours ago, MJC said:

It won't happen but I can't stress how much I would love a result here and stick it to Celtic, their sanctimonious hoardes, Tom fucking Boyd and that rubber faced condescending slimy prick Rodgers.

did i ever mention on here how much i really despise than slimey cant that is  tom feckin boyd ,,,,   sorry for the rant but he boils ma piss

• Like 1

I do agree that our awful record against both of the ugly sisters is in large part down to mentality.

However, I dont agree that we showed that mentality last season at Celtic Park when we got a draw, and I dont agree that we saw that mentality on Sunday.

These performances, and particularly Sunday were very different, and that has to be down to SK.

He clearly sees EVERY game as a chance of 3 points and has the team approach it that way.

On Sunday we were just unlucky. If we continue to show the same mentality against the big 2 going forward, our results against them will improve. 

They will still win more than us as they have bigger budgets which should dictate better players. But our win ratio should improve.

Thats why I expect us to play well again on Saturday and not get rolled over. We still may not win, but we will be closer to it than we have been in manys a year.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Well we’ve managed to get draws with both of them in recent times, last season 1-1 at Parkhead and the season before 1-1 and 2-2 at Ibrox. But I was talking more about actually getting wins in this fixture. And Sunday there was just another in the latest of the long line of hard luck stories, particularly against Rangers.

How many times have we come out of those games saying “we deserved more” or “if only we had done this or not done that”?? It’s always the same old story for us, whether we get outright pumped or run them close but lose anyway. Other sides like like Killie, St.Johnstone, St.Mirren, Dundee Utd, Ross County even Accies have managed to record wins in recent times against one or both of them whilst we pat ourselves on the back for a supposed ‘brave’ showing in a narrow defeat or shrug our shoulders when on the end of a heavy pumping and tell ourselves that it doesn’t matter because of budgets etc

I agree with this , and mentioned it before in the past

Our mindset going in to these games in recent years especially is wrong,  goes back to the whole punching above our weight patter which in a way we have been as a club , but in other ways you can look at Killie and other teams 

Before anyone gets on their high horse not suggesting I would swap our league placings in the last 15 years or so , as believe we do well as a club .  Though it can be frustrating if a team like Killie can beat both Glasgow mobs in a row at home but we usually always find a way to lose

A

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Totally forgot the draw at Parkheid last season!! DOH

2 hours ago, weeyin said:

Can Celtic just send us a cheque now for the trashed seats or do we need to wait until after the game?

Can't believe you have said that, remember they are the best fans in the world and have never done anything wrong, to criticise the green brigade is just not on!!.........and yes I am being extremely sarcastic 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Can't believe you have said that, remember they are the best fans in the world and have never done anything wrong, to criticise the green brigade is just not on!!.........and yes I am being extremely sarcastic 

A scumbag club run by scumbags with scumbag fans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Maybe just me but seems like club rather want non season tickets fans to watch at home than go to the match 

I think they are targetting the Celtic support rather than our fans. They only get 5k tickets and have 60k home fans.

Good business for us and they get the game played early in advance of a Champions League week......