Motherwell v Aberdeen 01/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

Just now, Erskine Alpha said:

Cons - absolutely poor display across the board closely followed by utter rubbish refereeing 

pros - the pitch looked good

Look on the bright side, only 3 points off 4th.....

1 minute ago, robsterwood said:

Kettlewell had no answer.

Much like Saturday, his answer was to throw the stagnant game plan out the window and bring on all the subs when it was too late. It has all the whiffs of panic and it cannot continue like this.

• Like 1

SK will have to evaluate his tactics and personnel choice and try to get it right or we will get done over by everyone we play. I would like to see bair and mika start together and I would drop Paton to the bench. SOD just isn’t sharp enough to be a starter and Slattery needs to stop performing the submarine act, just play football. Hopefully we start by trying to complete a pass first thought

We drew the 2nd half so not all bad!!

Seriously that was shocking tonight but it's not time to start calling for Kettlewell to go....... However......he needs to get a reaction next 2 games or else it could start getting messy.

Butcher needs to be back in starting line up as he needs to keep Casey in line who has been getting worse each game.   Slattery needs dropped after past 2 games and I would start Davor and let's see what he has.

Where kettlewell has blundered badly has been signing 5 strikers with 4 being very poor but fair play to the Bair tonight who at least made an effort.  Mika is a class above but I fear starting him could set us back if injury gets aggravated.  Suddenly not going for Moult looks a bad decision but hindsight is a wonderful thing

• Like 1

One of those performances where every single player was miles off it.

Ive been bemoaning our poor starts to matches and tonight was another one, we barely got a touch for the first 5 minutes of the match and let Aberdeen totally dictate the match.  The fact that Aberdeen conceded twice under the tiniest bit of pressure at the end of the match says to me they were there for the taking if we'd bothered to show up.

We've scored two first half goals all season and that tells you a lot.

There is almost no point even talking about individuals after a performance like that because tonight was a collective failure.

Kettlewell needs to get his thinking cap on and find an answer because it's just not working right now and we are getting worse week by week.

Painful viewing tonight. Our midfield was overrun from the first minute. Slattery was atrocious and could have been hooked anytime in the first half. Spittal is one of our best players but he's been off the boil for weeks now. Our midfield that served us well has now been well and truly found out. The fact that Kettlewell can't pick a settled forward line tells it's own story, it's like striker roulette every week. We desperately need to get Mika fit to start and quick. 

48 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Yes if we gave him enough and platform.  Showing some ambition for a change. Van veen and mika would be dream combo.

Ok, I don't think he had any intention of staying, but let's say we'd thrown money at him and he had. There's no comparison between Van Veen and what we've replaced him with, but there's no guarantee he would've had another great season.

As for showing ambition, Motherwell will never be able to hang onto players who hit form like that, it's just the way things are now for most Scottish clubs. As Craigan said tonight, enjoy them while they're here.

Too many players guaranteed a game regardless of performance levels. I’d personally drop Kelly and Casey to see if we could more out of then. Both culpable for a number of goals in last 4 days. 
spittal and slattery are another two who play even if way off the boil. Too many not at it tonight. Even miller looked like he’d never seen a football in his life tonight. 

11 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Yes if we gave him enough and platform.  Showing some ambition for a change. Van veen and mika would be dream combo.

Van veen wanted to go,he knew this would be his last chance to earn a bigger wage,if he's on the 10k a week that's he's reported on now,there's no way we could have competed anywhere close to that,him leaving wasn't the main issue it was the absolute guff that's been brought in,obika,wilkinson,shaw and bair between them couldn't spell football,mika is several levels above them but at the minute were reduced to bringing him on as a sub to try and rescue the game,if we had mika and one other competent striker we would be laughing.

For the first time since getting the job Kettlewell has a lot to think about in terms of formation, tactics and personnel for Saturday, as that was completed unacceptable tonight. 

We’ve lost 7 goals in the last 2 home games, so clearly something’s wrong at the back. Then despite scoring 5 goals, remarkably all of them have come with Biereth on the pitch even though he only played 60 mins across the 2 games!

Starting Biereth and Butcher would go a long way to helping these issues, however I assume Biereth still won’t be allowed to start, particularly on the plastic, I also wonder if we’d be concerned about starting Butcher on the plastic as well.

Sadly I can only see another defeat 😞 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

Need totally revamp of attack. Why did we not put money invested in keeping van veen. Club models a joke. Amateurs running a pro team dont work.

Wake up and hit reality ffs, kVV is allegedly on 10k a week at Groningen, thats  520k a year for 1 player, that's probably more than the entire squad budget For his season, oh and he did not want to stay.