Kilmarnock v Motherwell 04/11/2023

SteelmaninOZ

1 hour ago, grizzlyg said:

Exactly.    If we're adrift I would be concerned but the league is so tight from 4th to 11th that a few results can see us move back up though yes I admit losing next 2 would set alarm bells ringing but let's not think about that.  We can easily go out there and win the next 2 also

COYW!!!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

I think we agree about the challenges facing SK in preparing for tomorrow. The problem isn't just the lone striker himself though its the supporting system thats my main issue. In recent times, since the Livingston game, our sole striker (when playing that set up) has been totally isolated, which shouldn't be a surprise to us. Neither wing back has been able to bomb up and down the wings effectively; and the advanced midfield pairing of Spittal and Slattery, don't have the pace to get close to him. If by chance they do, they're isolated when things break down. Add to that, most opponents now have our Plan A/A+ well and truly worked out.

I agree, but with our collection of poor strikers picking 2 instead of 1 doesn’t seem sensible to me.

Think the main aim tomorrow will be to keep it tight, be solid and hopefully take one of the couple of opportunities that are bound to come our way.

its far from ideal but I’d have Spittal a lot closer to the loan striker, sit Slattery on the bench and have Spencer on the right with more license to get forward. 

1 minute ago, couttsy said:

I agree, but with our collection of poor strikers picking 2 instead of 1 doesn’t seem sensible to me.

Think the main aim tomorrow will be to keep it tight, be solid and hopefully take one of the couple of opportunities that are bound to come our way.

its far from ideal but I’d have Spittal a lot closer to the loan striker, sit Slattery on the bench and have Spencer on the right with more license to get forward. 

That’s a good idea Couttsy, might work out better.

• Like 1

We need to do better at creating chances. We were doing a good job at that for a while but not a shot on target first half of the Aberdeen game. An earlier post made a fair point that it doesn’t matter when you score as long as you score more than the other team but the trouble is we are not scoring more than the other team and are having to leave ourselves even more open at the back than we already are. The players need to up their work rate, intensity and focus because that seems to be the difference between winning games and losing games. We know they can do it and they know they can do it so they just need to get it done. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

We need to do better at creating chances. We were doing a good job at that for a while but not a shot on target first half of the Aberdeen game. An earlier post made a fair point that it doesn’t matter when you score as long as you score more than the other team but the trouble is we are not scoring more than the other team and are having to leave ourselves even more open at the back than we already are. The players need to up their work rate, intensity and focus because that seems to be the difference between winning games and losing games. We know they can do it and they know they can do it so they just need to get it done. 

Well said pal

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

you nailed it.  Was looking at the stats - first 5 games we averaged 5-6 shots on target per game, more than double the opposition.  That's slumped to 2-3  shots on target v's opposition with double what we offer.   Need to reverse that trend , best form of defence being attack. 

2 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

We need to do better at creating chances. We were doing a good job at that for a while but not a shot on target first half of the Aberdeen game. 

Am I right in thinking that we didn't have a single shot not only on but also off target in the first half? In other words no efforts at all on goal. 

16 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Am I right in thinking that that we didn't have a single shot not only on but also off target in the first half? In other words no efforts at all on goal. 

Bevis had a soft header that bounced before the keeper collected it (then he body checked him for some reason).

5 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Only in this potato league would teams be scared to play their best players thinking they will get injured on plastic pitches. Sorry to be a negative nancy but i cant see us taking anything from todays game.

It’s a shambles of a situation, both on the count on us having to play any top flight game on a plastic pitch and on the count that we are relying on an injury prone loanee to be our goal threat but because of the ridiculous pitch we can’t risk playing him. 

• Like 2

If we have a choice, I'd leave Lennon Miller out for this one. If Wenesday's game is anything to go by, opposing teams have wised up to him and are targetting him.  He looked broken, by the 35 minute mark in midweek.   I can't see Killie adopting a different approach to Aberdeen. So time to take the pressure off him a wee bit.

Going by the social media promos it looks like we are wearing our change kit today? 

Why??? The colours don’t clash so we should be in our first kit.

(and yes, I know that we have bigger issues to concern ourselves with and the strip we wear doesn’t really matter….hello weeyin! … hello spiderpig!)

1 hour ago, MJC said:

Going by the social media promos it looks like we are wearing our change kit today? 

Why??? The colours don’t clash so we should be in our first kit.

(and yes, I know that we have bigger issues to concern ourselves with and the strip we wear doesn’t really matter….hello weeyin! … hello spiderpig!)

As pointed out previously we have contractual obligations to wear all strips a certain amount of times per season. To encourage fans to buy them, Christmas is nearly here so there you go.  May even be a lucky strip as well. We need all the luck thats going . 2-1 to the good guys

14 minutes ago, stv said:

As pointed out previously we have contractual obligations to wear all strips a certain amount of times per season. To encourage fans to buy them, Christmas is nearly here so there you go.  May even be a lucky strip as well. We need all the luck thats going . 2-1 to the good guys

Ah that makes sense to be fair. And considering we can’t wear our Claret change kit against the sides we would normally wear it against then we’ve got to find time to wear it, even when on the face of it we don’t need to wear a change kit.

That’s the problem with having a Claret away kit. Our away kit should be mostly white with the occasional change to black or petrol blue even. Claret kits should be a ‘Third’ kit. In my opinion, obviously.

Not overly confident for this one due to our recent performances against Livi, County and Aberdeen plus that abomination of a pitch thrown into the mix. Even Derek McInnes admitted during the week it gives them a great advantage as he mentioned he was frustrated that they have picked up very little on the road the last season or so. 

They had us well sussed out in the first half at Fir Park earlier in the season when we went with the 3-5-2 but when we loaded the midfield and went with the one up top in the second half it worked a treat so it'll be interesting to see how we line up today. Another thing they kept doing was getting that winger Armstrong to go to the byeline and put crosses right on top of Kelly, they ended up getting success from one. We had far too many passengers midweek and a few players who had let their high standards drop significantly. Hopefully we can pick up the three points today by any means necessary, we have a decent run of games over the next week and it would be a massive morale boost to stop the rot before we head to Perth on Tuesday.

We really need 3 points today. This run has to end soon or we really will be in a relegation battle.

I hate having to watch us playing on plastic, but its effectively a home game for me so cant really not go!

Dont care how SK does it. Be ruthless as feck. The players have given him plenty reason to wield the axe so none can complain.

Get the best 11 for the job out on the park and grind out an absolute shitter of a win.

I might even change my mind about "that kit" if he does.

Intae these Squirrelhumpers! 😆