Motherwell v St Johnstone 09/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

3 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Well said sir.  It looks like SK will be in charge and for me it's win or bust but I will be roaring on the lads as usual (and bugging hell out of my mates with my jokes). 

However Levein won't need a team talk if our lads and SK are subjected to criticism for every mistake.  That breeds nerves and won't help us get 3 points.

Win and it buys SK a dugs chance but anything less and even someone as positive as me needs to face reality.    If Butcher and Casey injured and Paton available from suspension then my plan.

KELLY

SOD.   BEVIS.  BLANEY

SPENCER                                GENT

PATON.     SPITTAL.  SLATTERY

MIKA.      WILKINSON

some in that line up really need to produce a big performance as they have been poor recently

COYW

so you start kelly ?????????     for st j to continually pump high balls in and around him to flap at for stevie may / chris kane to tap home,  na time for skelfs for him and get big oxburgh in n if heez no got it he shouldnt be there

22 minutes ago, smiddy said:

so you start kelly ?????????     for st j to continually pump high balls in and around him to flap at for stevie may / chris kane to tap home,  na time for skelfs for him and get big oxburgh in n if heez no got it he shouldnt be there

I can fully understand but I don't think he will get dropped for Saturday. I do however don't think the captaincy is helping him

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

I can fully understand but I don't think he will get dropped for Saturday. I do however don't think the captaincy is helping him

i dont think the fact that hees vertically challenged helps him , oh and heez a bit of a keek bag as well, probably vastly overrated

At the minute kelly is installing no confidence in anyone and needs to be dropped,crossed balls into our box are a massive weakness that has been sussed by every team were playing,having said that though it's a two way thing,the guys in front of him have been pathetic for weeks,were the only team in the league that seems to be happy to let the ball come into our box unchallenged and then can't defend in a proper manner.

5 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Was great when he joined us but has definitely went downhill. No idea how good the Ox is . He is tall at least 

and we wont find out until he plays, maybe SK is blindsided by this " you cant drop your captain" shite, if hees not doing it then out, as i said last night , 3 goals

no 1  star jump

no 2 looky looky man

no 3 swat the fly trick ( out to the on rushing players feet )

6 hours ago, santheman said:

I'm actually going to issue a bit of a rallying call here.

Having been one of the unfortunate few who suffered an 8 hour round trip to Dingwall to suffer another 90mins of absolute dross I had made my mind up to give Saturday a miss to save what's left of my sanity.

I said elsewhere that I hope Kettlewell gives them the morning off and gets them in this afternoon, locks them in the dressing room and no-one gets out until the current problems are thrashed out. Might not be pretty but I think it's reached that stage now.

Having slept on it I now realise that would be the easy coward's way out and I will be there.

My worry is that with all the negativity on the forums there is a toxic atmosphere even before the game starts so I think it's important that the fans show their support right from the start and get right behind the team.

I support Motherwell as a club first and foremost and the 11 on the park are only the present holders of the jersey.Happy clapper stuff maybe.

HOWEVER if they can't get up for this game then I think we're well and truly fucked and I would be one of the first outside the stand shouting sack the board/manager or whatever, but hopefully it doesn't get to that point and we're all talking about a performance and win on Saturday night.

Whether or not we stay up or get relegated this season I think a major rethink of how the club operates is needed as we surely can't keep going on the way we are and that includes reviewing  every function in the club, listening to every stakeholder and fans views in an open and transparent way and coming up with an affordable and workable medium to long term strategy.

SIWY 

10 hours ago, smiddy said:

so you start kelly ?????????

Kettlewell knows that his job is hanging by a thread, so the last thing he's going to do is drop the captain and someone who clearly holds a lot of sway in the dressing room.

At the moment it seems like the players are still very much behind the manager. Dropping Kelly and making an example of him could change that in a hurry and simply add to his problems.

The 5-4-1 can work if the 4 is a diamond and Spittal is the one trying to get up in support of the lone striker who at this point would be Mika, a massive upgrade on Bair. But if we are going to create sufficient chances and not let the midfield be overun as has happened regularly during this awful run, then the wingbacks need to be dynamic enough to get up and down the park. Unfortunately for him thats not SOD. Although given our injuries at CB he might still get a place in there this week. Assuming that Casey, Butcher and Mugabi are all injured, that would leave us with....

Kelly

SOD  Mcginn Blaney

Spencer                                   Gent

Davor

Slattery            Paton

Spittal

Biereth

If Mugabi or Butcher are fit and/or McGinn isnt then the back 3 could be any 3 from 5. 

With Butcher, McGinn, Casey, Miller and Paton all out, I suspect we’ll see a 5-3-2 again:

Kelly

SOD Mugabi Blaney

Spencer Spittal Davor Slattery Gent

Biereth Obika

If he starts 3 forwards with Spittal and Slattery in midfield then I think he’s trying to get the sack! 

18 minutes ago, couttsy said:

With Butcher, McGinn, Casey, Miller and Paton all out, I suspect we’ll see a 5-3-2 again:

Kelly

SOD Mugabi Blaney

Biereth Obika

If he starts 3 forwards with Spittal and Slattery in midfield then I think he’s trying to get the sack! 

Yes, given our circumstances a likely line up. SK may swap SOD and Spencer though as the latter has played in central defence before. 

15 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

That's St Johnstone level with us, courtesy of a 96th minute penalty, courtesy of Charles Dunne.

On the bright side, nice to see someone else complaining about a crap run, a team that can't score and a striker who is 'absolutely not a footballer'. Any guesses who that is?

Wonder if reality is dawning on the Paisley faithful yet. LWLLL they are a baw hair off being as bad as us right now. Mind you we will rescue their piss poor form in two weeks.

18 hours ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Hopefully McGinn and Mugabi are fit. Otherwise we are looking at SOD, Blaney and a.n.other as our 3 CB's....

If McGinn needs to wear a protective mask or his injury isn't fully healed, I suspect Levein will ensure he gets (re-)injured early doors. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, couttsy said:

Kelly

SOD Mugabi Blaney

Biereth Obika

That only leaves Wilkinson, bair and Shaw for bench cover with no experienced defenders or midfielders. Bare bones indeed.

5 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Yes, given our circumstances a likely line up. SK may swap SOD and Spencer though as the latter has played in central defence before. 

I haven't seen much about Spencer at CB, but SOD has filled in there for us before, and will probably be in there for his experience. The last thing we need is to hamstring Spencer another way now that he's on his preferred right side.

The lineup above seems the most likely, since it's pretty much all we have. Which ever stiker is most adept at defending from the front should be who gets the nod alongside beireth. We can't have st j strolling up to our 18 yard line like dundee did last week.

We're going to get battered with crosses and set plays, so hopefully they don't have any wee guys for us to ignore.