St Mirren v Motherwell 16/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

How many fit players will we have available?

Casey and Butcher will almost certainly still both be out.

Not sure about the timescale for McGinns return. Was 6 weeks from time of operation whenever that was.

Hopefully Mika's knock isnt too serious given he was able to finish the game.

Blaney also looked to be hobbling near the end. 

We could do with catching a break at some point!

2 hours ago, David said:

We're due a goal from Bair I think. I had him down as scoring a whopping four for us this season, so he should be good for one around now.

We need to start with Bair and Biereth up top, Bair has more pace and holds the ball up better, Obika is feckin hopeless and offers nothing.

For me that's the front two most likely to create chances and take them.

2 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

We need to start with Bair and Biereth up top, Bair has more pace and holds the ball up better, Obika is feckin hopeless and offers nothing.

For me that's the front two most likely to create chances and take them.

Agreed Allan, so long as they play together and Bair plays as a striker. 

The only problem I have with that is that we're constantly chopping and changing our forward pairings. One week we all want Obika back fit so he can play up front with Mika, then after one or two games we don't get what we want from that partnership so now we want Bair instead of Obika, then if that fails we'll want something else.

Striking partnerships need time to gel. I think if we're going with Obika and Mika then we need to give them a run of games. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, David said:

Striking partnerships need time to gel. I think if we're going with Obika and Mika then we need to give them a run of games. 

I take your point but from the position we are in we don't have the luxury of having a "bedding in period" nothing sticks to Obika, and on the odd occasion he get the ball down and under control he's never gets a pass away to anyone running on etc, his positional sense is shocking, we saw 70 mins of nothing from him yesterday.

11 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I take your point but from the position we are in we don't have the luxury of having a "bedding in period" nothing sticks to Obika, and on the odd occasion he get the ball down and under control he's never gets a pass away to anyone running on etc, his positional sense is shocking, we saw 70 mins of nothing from him yesterday.

Have we forgotten that Bair isn't a striker though? Or are we back on the "Bair train" because he provided a cross for a goal? 

Like I said, if we go down the route of constantly chopping and changing the lineup we're going to get nothing. I don't really know of any teams that see success constantly changing their players around based on how they do in a single game. 

For me, it's Obika and Mika up top as our first choice. It's not ideal, but I think that's the best we have. Wilkinson can try to fight his way back into that equation, and Bair is there as a sub we can throw on when we need a big, athletic guy who can cause issues late in games.

Ones things for sure Gent and Davor have to start more so Gent if we actually had a another forward apart from Mika that could get on the end of his crosses then we be top 6 by now.Gent must be the worst player in training I have seen nothing but hope when he is on the field.

On the striking it's Mika and whoever not much of a difference between the rest of them I shall never be a Wilkinson and Blair fan gave them to Christmas and they have been below average very poor as for Shaw I was really hoping from more from him been a bit disappointed.If we could terminate the loan we should.

My main worry is we are an injury away in Mika from being in the mud with no other forward looking like they could score.

This has a 1-0 all over it.

4 hours ago, David said:

The only problem I have with that is that we're constantly chopping and changing our forward pairings. One week we all want Obika back fit so he can play up front with Mika, then after one or two games we don't get what we want from that partnership so now we want Bair instead of Obika, then if that fails we'll want something else.

Hear what you are saying but I wasn't impressed with Obika yesterday.  Big Bair actually gives loads of effort and I thought done well yesterday, cracking cross for the goal. Would be happy seeing him start and also I hope Davor keeps his place

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ropy said:

Paton is available, does he come back in?  Who for? Or do we pack the midfield again and throw the strikers on later?

No. I like Paton, he does a lot of breaking up play and moving the ball on quickly but I think we have seen his weakness now.

Defensively he seems to lose his man too often and it has cost the team goals. Davor did well, no defensive lapses yet and I think that he deserves to keep his place.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

No. I like Paton, he does a lot of breaking up play and moving the ball on quickly but I think we have seen his weakness now.

Defensively he seems to lose his man too often and it has cost the team goals. Davor did well, no defensive lapses yet and I think that he deserves to keep his place.

Yep. Davor done enough to merit starting V St Mirren as did Gent. I’d also start Bair along side Mika based on his short performance yesterday. 

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

Hear what you are saying but I wasn't impressed with Obika yesterday.  Big Bair actually gives loads of effort and I thought done well yesterday, cracking cross for the goal. Would be happy seeing him start and also I hope Davor keeps his place

And if he starts and does what he usually does when he starts for us? What then? Drop him for Obika next game? Then if Obika doesn't put in a good enough performance we drop him and put Bair back in, and onwards into infinity.