Motherwell v Rangers 24/12/2023

SteelmaninOZ

2 hours ago, wellup83 said:

I can see it now. Playoff v Utd and Moult buries us into the championship ironically after we turned our back on him in favour of multiple mediocrity.

We won't be anywhere near the relegation or playoff places come May, people need to keep the faith, SK will turn it round.

We were pish today, especially the 1st 15 mins, and Rangers never got out of 2nd gear but two wins this week could see us challenging for the Euro places. Sacking SK to bring in A new manager with new ideas team formations etc, is the last thing we need right now.

Given the boardroom changes things seem to be happening at the club so we need stability and to be honest if SK was in any danger of getting pumped it would have happened weeks ago, so we need to keep the faith, we won't be relegated or involved in the playoffs so things will turn round. ( no alcohol was involved in writing this post 😀)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

We won't be anywhere near the relegation or playoff places come May, people need to keep the faith, SK will turn it round.

We were pish today, especially the 1st 15 mins, and Rangers never got out of 2nd gear but two wins this week could see us challenging for the Euro places. Sacking SK to bring in A new manager with new ideas team formations etc, is the last thing we need right now.

Given the boardroom changes things seem to be happening at the club so we need stability and to be honest if SK was in any danger of getting pumped it would have happened weeks ago, so we need to keep the faith, we won't be relegated or involved in the playoffs so things will turn round. ( no alcohol was involved in writing this post 😀)

I hope you're right man I really do. The January window is crucial and if SK can get that right we'll be fine. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

We are on 16 points after 19 matches.

So we are going to need 24 points in the second half of the season to get to the 40 points which is generally considered the safe spot.

That's a fairly big improvement just to get over the line.   

My view is that we couldn't attract a good quality manager after Alexander left and we had the whole season ahead of us.  Again after Hammell was fired, it was an internal appointment with a spotty record, so presumably we couldn't realistically attract a good quality replacement.  If we fire Kettlewell now, who are we going to attract to come in and do a job in this situation when we couldn't do it on the last two occasions?

I think that is a very valid argument.  However you cannot go 17 league matches and not win.  If that happens, Kettlewell should be fired.

There is also another point that I sort of alluded to earlier in the week.

We have 14 first team players out of contract at the end of the season including most of the first pick type players and I think that is a VERY dangerous situation when you are in a relegation fight because there comes a time when players just think "Well, I'm out of here I'm not going to have to deal with the consequences of this".  

42 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

We are on 16 points after 19 matches.

So we are going to need 24 points in the second half of the season to get to the 40 points which is generally considered the safe spot.

That's a fairly big improvement just to get over the line.   

My view is that we couldn't attract a good quality manager after Alexander left and we had the whole season ahead of us.  Again after Hammell was fired, it was an internal appointment with a spotty record, so presumably we couldn't realistically attract a good quality replacement.  If we fire Kettlewell now, who are we going to attract to come in and do a job in this situation when we couldn't do it on the last two occasions?

I think that is a very valid argument.  However you cannot go 17 league matches and not win.  If that happens, Kettlewell should be fired.

There is also another point that I sort of alluded to earlier in the week.

We have 14 first team players out of contract at the end of the season including most of the first pick type players and I think that is a VERY dangerous situation when you are in a relegation fight because there comes a time when players just think "Well, I'm out of here I'm not going to have to deal with the consequences of this".  

I get what your saying, but the players should be playing for a contract if not here but elsewhere.  Plenty of players are being binned throughout for a player to coast so to speak. Has our previous left back, Penny?? Found a club yet? No guarantees anymore it seems.

The only surprise about today is how surprised (and annoyed) some of our fans seem to he about the result.

We havent beaten Rangers in the league for 21 years. The chances of it happening off the back of the worst run in SPL history was pretty slim.

Another slow and very sloppy start by us. We are never going ro beat anyone if we dont start playing until we are 2 down. Gifting up 2 goals like we did never plays out well.

Much better second half performance, but the damage had already been done by then.

Onto Aberdeen. Another difficult venue, but one where we have enjoyed some success over the years, against an opponent not without their own troubles to seek.

SK has 2 games to save his job and end this horrible run.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

What have you seen in the last 15 attempts that we are capable of two wins this week. I agree that sacking SK won't change much. A new manager wil not turn Blaney , Paton, Mugabi etc into players. However if we lose the next two he will be sacked of that I'm convinced.

2 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

Sacking SK to bring in A new manager with new ideas team formations etc, is the last thing we need right now.

The last thing we need right now is more of the same. It's just not working and it's very clear that he can't turn it around. 

• Like 1

I completely get the "sack SK" calls. However there are dangers in that too. We then have to try and improve that shite squad in January without a manager, the position we are in who realistically will want to sign for us?

There are risks in every scenario for us right now. I just get the feeling, laws of averages, our time in the top league has come. I see nothing week in week out that makes me think we will go on a decent run and now it needs to be a decent run to turn it around. Stephen Craigan alluded to it today without actually saying it , we are getting beat by shite , we cannot beat teams in one of the worst top divisions in decades.

7 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I completely get the "sack SK" calls. However there are dangers in that too. We then have to try and improve that shite squad in January without a manager, the position we are in who realistically will want to sign for us?

There are risks in every scenario for us right now. I just get the feeling, laws of averages, our time in the top league has come. I see nothing week in week out that makes me think we will go on a decent run and now it needs to be a decent run to turn it around. Stephen Craigan alluded to it today without actually saying it , we are getting beat by shite , we cannot beat teams in one of the worst top divisions in decades.

You could also ask the question if we bin Kettlewell would his severance package mean we wouldn't have the cash to go out and improve the squad in January.

Just now, santheman said:

You could also ask the question if we bin Kettlewell would his severance package mean we wouldn't have the cash to go out and improve the squad in January.

Kettlewells deal was to May 2024,  I don't think we extended his contract so any severance for Kettlewell would be minimal.

https://www.google.com/search?q=stuart+kettlewell+appointed+motherwell+manager&oq=stuart+kettlewell+appointed+motherwell+manager&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQIRigAdIBCTE1NTMxajBqOKgCALACAA&client=tablet-android-lenovo-rvo3&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8&chrome_dse_attribution=1

2 hours ago, Orinoco said:

I get what your saying, but the players should be playing for a contract if not here but elsewhere.  Plenty of players are being binned throughout for a player to coast so to speak. Has our previous left back, Penny?? Found a club yet? No guarantees anymore it seems.

The problem is guys like Kelly, McGinn or Spittal know they will get at least as good a contract somewhere else. 

And other guys know they aren't good enough for this level.

4 hours ago, Spiderpig said:

We haven’t won in FIFTEEN matches. We have slid down to 11th in the table. We have turned in some truly hideous performances in that time. Our manager has completely fucked his first transfer window with us. Our manager has no proven track record of being a good manager here or anywhere else.

We are plummeting down the table with absolutely no sign of stopping any time soon. We cannot defend, two clean sheets all season, and we almost never score the first goal.

Keep the faith though, the manager clearly knows what he is doing, just two wins and we will be challenging for Europe again.

It was time to get him to fuck two international breaks ago. It is an absolute joke that he’s still in his post.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, GazzyB said:

We haven’t won in FIFTEEN matches. We have slid down to 11th in the table. We have turned in some truly hideous performances in that time. Our manager has completely fucked his first transfer window with us. Our manager has no proven track record of being a good manager here or anywhere else.

We are plummeting down the table with absolutely no sign of stopping any time soon. We cannot defend, two clean sheets all season, and we almost never score the first goal.

Keep the faith though, the manager clearly knows what he is doing, just two wins and we will be challenging for Europe again.

It was time to get him to fuck two international breaks ago. It is an absolute joke that he’s still in his post.

When you put it like that....

Watching on tv today (in contrast to my seat almost a pitch level) was an eye opener as to how bad we actually are. The inability to execute simple passes is shocking. There was also plenty of times we could have got in behind rangers but our players couldnt see, perhaps dont have the vision to see the pass.

The marking was brutal, or perhaps better described as non existant and tje fact we barely registered a shot at goal is shocking.

Now, given the gulf in finance, no one should be expecting us to beat rangers but the abject lack of any kind of football basics was there for all to see. That type of performance is not going to arrest our decline. We need new blood in January and to be honest, quite possibly a fresh set of eyes in the dug out. These guys might be 'trying' but we are clearly either not coached well enough or just not good enough.