Interim CEO Derek Weir speaks to the fans

SteelmaninOZ

6 hours ago, Mad Dog said:

The video was not an example of the club being run in an amateurish fashion. It was part one of a fund-raising strategy, it has created debate and has generated interest in the club. Ten offers of investment within the first few days seems like a good return to me. The timing is also great as there are no games at the moment and it takes the spotlight off the transfer window too.

The 'failure' of the club to appoint a CEO came about due to exceptional circumstances - none of the four shortlisted candidates took up the role for a variety of reasons. McMahon stated that he had never experienced this in his professional life.

I almost agree with you about the recruitment side of things as there is a lack of clarity - is it all on Nick Dawes? How much input does SK have.

Ultimately, the club employed a professional agency to make the video, professional people within the club interviewed professional candidates for the CEO role and our recruitment is in the hands of a professional person. No amateurs were involved as far as I can tell.

Spot on pal

I did hear that the Taylor Swift thing was put in deliberately because her devoted followers apparently refer to her as "Mother" so I suppose it could spark some kind of Internet search thingy which might point people towards "Motherwell".

Whether it's true or not I don't know but it's a good story if it isn't.

• Like 1

Other than the credible investment approaches mentioned by the Chairman following the release of the video, the Well Society has provided the following positive update:

We had more sign ups in the 48 hours after the film launch than we would normally get in a two month period. We have also had a number of people get in touch to increase their monthly payments or to rejoin. We also have some more international members. Austria is now on the map, the Netherlands have doubled their contingent (to two!) and the US and Canada continue to rise.

16 hours ago, fizoxy said:

I'd love to know the actual number of new sign-ups. For all we know, we get an average of 4 new sign-ups every two months, and we got 5 from the first 48 hours of this.

Unless we get another 10 or 15 thousand sign ups to the WS it will never be fit for purpose, it was ill thought out from the start our fan base is too small to sustain effective and true fan ownership.

27 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

Unless we get another 10 or 15 thousand sign ups to the WS it will never be fit for purpose, it was ill thought out from the start our fan base is too small to sustain effective and true fan ownership.

I thought it was only part of the plan that also included things like developing players from the academy (and ones we signed) and selling them on.

Regardless, the other options at the time were selling the club to a dodgy property developer or the infamous South American investors.

I think Weir is spot on when it comes to UEFA development fees. If those were correctly adjusted to reflect current transfer market rates we'd be in a much stronger financial position now with the youngsters that moved on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

HIbs are applying to the SFA to let them be Bournemouth's B Team. Dundee seem to want to be taken over by Burnley. If the SFA let this happen it will be huge for Scottish Football. This pretty much explains why so many Yanks got interested in Scottish football at the same time

I've no idea how it works with the SPFL but if the 11-1 voting system applies to this we should oppose it. Anyone who suggests we become a B team should be tar and feathered outside Club 100.

Edit - The arseholes at the SFA approved it so it'll come down to whether us, Killie, St Mirren, Hearts and the Old Firm can put a stop to it somehow.

9 minutes ago, steelboy said:

HIbs are applying to the SFA to let them be Bournemouth's B Team. Dundee seem to want to be taken over by Burnley. If the SFA let this happen it will be huge for Scottish Football. This pretty much explains why so many Yanks got interested in Scottish football at the same time

I've no idea how it works with the SPFL but if the 11-1 voting system applies to this we should oppose it. Anyone who suggests we become a B team should be tar and feathered outside Club 100.

It hasn't worked out badly for Girona or Union St Gilloise...?

8 minutes ago, MelvinBragg said:

It hasn't worked out badly for Girona or Union St Gilloise...?

It's going ok for Girona just now but wait and see what happens if Man City get the book thrown at them over the 115 charges. There's also a difference between being owned by Arab Royal families compared to American corporations that will wind you up at the drop of a hat if the wind changes.

The main thing is that it's a fucking red neck to be a feeder team after operating as a stand alone club for over a century.

I'm guessing Weir's comments were floating the idea of us moving in this direction. Interesting times ahead.

28 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Edit - The arseholes at the SFA approved it so it'll come down to whether us, Killie, St Mirren, Hearts and the Old Firm can put a stop to it somehow.

What exactly does that mean .. being a B Team? Does it mean them getting our youth players?

1 minute ago, wellgirl said:

What exactly does that mean .. being a B Team? Does it mean them getting our youth players?

Aye any decent Hibs players will be sent to a better club in the same ownership group. The ownership group will send Hibs players that they have to play in the first team. 

6 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

No clue how it really works but I’m sure there could be many variations. I think there is currently some rule or other about the owners not being owners of multiple clubs. I’m sure someone on here is more familiar with the rules and can enlighten us. 

we are basically a feeder team now anyway. We have to sell to survive. Some arrangement with a bigger team would probably give them first shot at good talent and also a stepping stone for their up and coming players or recovering players perhaps. Not sure how much say a parent team would have in our day to day running. 

1 minute ago, texanwellfan said:

No clue how it really works but I’m sure there could be many variations. I think there is currently some rule or other about the owners not being owners of multiple clubs. I’m sure someone on here is more familiar with the rules and can enlighten us. 

According to the BBC (I know, I know), they can own no more than 29.9% of another club.

1 hour ago, steelboy said:

Apparently it's Bill Foley that is involved in takeover, wonder if he will be bringing his comets also!! One for the older readers 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, wellgirl said:

I imagine it would mean we'd get access to more Mika Biereth's. But it also means we'd have more players taken away at the drop of a hat, just like Mika Biereth. 

The truth is, at that point, you need to ask if we're really still Motherwell FC? Or just QPR B, or Sheffield United B? If it did happen, it's likely the closest I'd actually come to just chucking it altogether and following rugby instead.

13 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

we are basically a feeder team now anyway. We have to sell to survive. Some arrangement with a bigger team would probably give them first shot at good talent and also a stepping stone for their up and coming players or recovering players perhaps. Not sure how much say a parent team would have in our day to day running. 

Sadly at this moment it seems to be for St Mirren.

14 minutes ago, David said:

I imagine it would mean we'd get access to more Mika Biereth's. But it also means we'd have more players taken away at the drop of a hat, just like Mika Biereth. 

The truth is, at that point, you need to ask if we're really still Motherwell FC? Or just QPR B, or Sheffield United B? If it did happen, it's likely the closest I'd actually come to just chucking it altogether and following rugby instead.

I get your point. And to a large extent I agree.

With the direction the modern game has gone there has at least been something "honest" about watching Motherwell over the last few years, regardless of how far we think the standard has fallen.

We have survived, and at times done well, as a result of our own endeavours and no outside influences, in increasingly difficult times. 

This would change all that.

But, what is the alternative? If all the other clubs follow that model it would most likely mean a drop down the leagues and operating at a more modest level, or worse signing a deal with the devil that could put our future at risk the minute a new owner got fed up with their play thing.

It does all feel a bit depressing and if allowed to continue, just another nail in the coffin of the beautiful game.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, David said:

Yes. Whats the next stage and there will be a next stage? The Dundees of the world will change their name to something like Burnley Scottish? What after that? Burnley become a feeder club for Manchester United and so on.

An interesting footnote: Burnley's population is roughly half that of Dundee's.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

But, what is the alternative?

Honestly, I'd rather we continued to operate within our means. And if that involved a drop down to the Championship or even lower, then so be it. 

I'd rather watch a fan-owned Motherwell Football Club play in the Championship with the best players we can afford and a healthy smattering of youth in our ranks, than some 2nd-rate, oil-backed English teams reserve outfit plying our trade in a weird frankenstein league. 

But that's just me. Maybe the majority would be happy to go along with it, in the hopes of a few of the oil dollars rolling off the big table and into our hands. 

I'd likely pack it in and follow junior football at that point.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, David said:

I'd likely pack it in and follow junior football at that point.

Aye, and thats changing too. The days of cuddly wee junior clubs are well and truly over. Kelty Hearts and Bonnyrigg Rose anyone? Even the junior game has become much more professional and ruthless. Many of those teams are living well beyong their means.

14 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Aye, and thats changing too. The days of cuddly wee junior clubs are well and truly over. Kelty Hearts and Bonnyrigg Rose anyone? Even the junior game has become much more professional and ruthless. Many of those teams are living well beyong their means.

Just more news to depress me with, eh? 😂

• Haha 1

personal opinion i cant see any downside of a tie up with some big gun. All their knowledge , expertise and players etc etc can only be a good thing.  Im reading a lot of the what ifs? this is bad thats bad etc etc when in reality anyyone wanting involved from so called big gun is obviously very astute in business and in all cases are billionaires and so the chance of them failing is a lot lower than some wee guy coming in with a couple of a million in his back pocket or continuing to be run by amateurs as a lot on here mostly say we are at the moment and have been for a while (not my view). Think of the positives. 

Absolutely no to being a feeder or having a parent club. I’d rather we do our thing and have a team that is represetive of the town and we’ll have good seasons and we’ll have shite seasons like every other club at this level. Wasn’t too long hearts where down as were teams like Kilmarnock Dundee and Hearts and Hibs. We haven’t gone down yet. For the last forty year almost even our bad seasons are miles ahead of likes of Morton or Clyde or Airdrie. We aren’t that bad.  I’m not saying it’s perfect but work within the market and try find a few gems every season or two and have some hard working players around them and more years than not you’ll do fine.

• Like 1