β€‹πŸ†β€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

On 2/4/2024 at 11:50 AM, MJC said:

Morton also went to East End Park yesterday and thrashed Dunfermline 5-0. There's not a hope in hell we could do that.

They will definitely fancy their chances against us and rightly so.Β 

We just thrashed a team in our own league 5-0, there's not a hope in hell we could do what?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have the fear big time for this one.

Hopefully SK keeps the same team, if possible, but if he makes unnecessary changes and we go out then the pressure will be right back on him.Β 
Β 

I stand by my prediction of us to wear our change kit even though we don’t need to (I know, I know, commercial reasons etc) and for us to lose.

30 minutes ago, MJC said:

I stand by my prediction of us to wear our change kit even though we don’t need to (I know, I know, commercial reasons etc) and for us to lose.

If your beloved sash encourages Halliday to score a hat trick against his sash-loving bedfellow, Imrie, then let the inevitable happen.

πŸ˜‰Β 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, MJC said:

Hopefully SK keeps the same team, if possible, but if he makes unnecessary changes and we go out then the pressure will be right back on him.Β 
Β 

The only pressure will come if we fall back down the league. After last night it's obvious Friday won't be a Baraclough/Hammell moment.

• Like 1

If its possible, its tempting to keep the same team for consistency. However, given the nature of last night's game, we may have picked up a few bumps and bruises i.e. Halliday. Apart from that, will some players need a rest given they'll only have a few days to recover?Β 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

If your beloved sash encourages Halliday to score a hat trick against his sash-loving bedfellow, Imrie, then let the inevitable happen.

πŸ˜‰

It’s not a sash it’s a band.Β 

β€œThe band Hearts Andy wore” β™₯️

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

The only pressure will come if we fall back down the league. After last night it's obvious Friday won't be a Baraclough/Hammell moment.

If we go out of the Scottish Cup to a lower league side again then the pressure will rightly be cranked up on the manager.

2 hours ago, MJC said:

Β 

You have the big fear just crossing a road. Deffo glass half empty kind of a Β guy, probably after years of watching the well. I don’t blame you.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MJC said:

Β 

Even after last night πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ. Have a week off ffs 🀣

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJC said:

If we go out of the Scottish Cup to a lower league side again then the pressure will rightly be cranked up on the manager.

Have you ever watched any cup game in any country at any time?

One of the ideas behind the competition is to give teams in lower leagues a chance to win one-off games against higher league teams. It's part of the attraction.

Take a scan through all the FA Cup results from this season and see how many teams have beaten opposition 2, 3 and 4 tiers above.

A Scottish Championship team (on their home turf) in 4th place beating a Scottish Premiership team in 8th place on would be one of the least surprising results in the history of the cup.

Can you imagine how boring it would be if the higher placed team won every tie in the Cup? Wouldn't even be worth playing - they could just go straight to an OF final every season.

I know you feel the need to post something negative every match, but that was a poor effort.

3 - 1 to the silent a-sash-ins.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

If its possible, its tempting to keep the same team for consistency. However, given the nature of last night's game, we may have picked up a few bumps and bruises i.e. Halliday. Apart from that, will some players need a rest given they'll only have a few days to recover?Β 

Keep same team for me.

Regards time to recover I feel there's far too much emphasis on this certainly at our level. It's more mental than physical I believe and a game v ross county then morton 3 days later is not champs league.

Our players train every day they are more than capable of playing every 3 days. Our best player Spittal on for full 90 last night when not needed tells me he's one of fittest in team and kettlewell obviously knows that also.

Β 

56 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Have you ever watched any cup game in any country at any time?

One of the ideas behind the competition is to give teams in lower leagues a chance to win one-off games against higher league teams. It's part of the attraction.

Take a scan through all the FA Cup results from this season and see how many teams have beaten opposition 2, 3 and 4 tiers above.

A Scottish Championship team (on their home turf) in 4th place beating a Scottish Premiership team in 8th place on would be one of the least surprising results in the history of the cup.

Can you imagine how boring it would be if the higher placed team won every tie in the Cup? Wouldn't even be worth playing - they could just go straight to an OF final every season.

I know you feel the need to post something negative every match, but that was a poor effort.

3 - 1 to the silent a-sash-ins.

Yes, plenty. Indeed the last one was just under a year ago when I watched us capitulate to Raith Rovers in Kirkcaldy.

A Cup run is important to us as a club and the support, as a whole, want to see us go as far as possible and would say that that is equally as important as league form. With two wins in twenty if we lose to a lower league side in the Cup for the second season running then that will not go down well with the support.

16 minutes ago, MJC said:

Yes, plenty. Indeed the last one was just under a year ago when I watched us capitulate to Raith Rovers in Kirkcaldy.

A Cup run is important to us as a club and the support, as a whole, want to see us go as far as possible and would say that that is equally as important as league form. With two wins in twenty if we lose to a lower league side in the Cup for the second season running then that will not go down well with the support.

I prefer 3 wins in last 5 competitive games and 2 draws

• Like 1

The FA cup is slightly different these days in terms of giant killing as a lot of the time they field line-ups nowhere near full strength.

I'm relatively confident about Fri. For all we've only won about 3(Inc Alloa) in the last 20, we also haven't lost that many and the games we have lost haven't exactly been pumpings. Ross Co aside.

Morton doing well in Championship, but they're a marked step down in quality and we have a team that is still a cohesive unit and got a bit of fight about them.

I think for Morton to beat us they'll have to shitfest.

Β 

Been thinking and I think same starting xi with maybe Miller ahead of Halliday who could be a doubt and still getting up to speed.Β  Β Go all out first half and then freshen things up once tiredness kicks in. Really want to see more of Nicholson as looks a player.Β 

Fridays game could go any way. We should win it, but having watched us for 46 years I know should means fuck all. I think if we score 1st we will settle but if they get their noses in front it could be difficult but at least we'll have nearly 2000 fans to create a bit of atmosphere. Sadly the weather forecast is grim with real strong winds and their pitch is awful so it could be a real leveller and it turns into a boot and rush game.

30 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Fridays game could go any way.

Exactly so, and that's the joy of the Cup. I wonder how many ties have been contested by two teams who both won their previous games 5-0?