β€‹πŸ†β€‹SC Greenock Morton v Motherwell 09/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

If I have a concern for Friday night its that our defence still doesn't look watertight. Even although we kept a much welcome clean sheet last night against a toothless Ross County were still able to find space and time in and around our box last night, especially in the early stages before we scored. Hopefully, our midfield will defend a tad higher up the park, when we're under the cosh.

Admittedly we don't live in Lanarkshire or near GlasgowΒ  but only 1 of our group of about 10 will be going due to the game being moved to tomorrow night. Had it been on Saturday at 3 pm then over half Would have gone. Does that matter to the BBC or football authorities? No. Their response would be "What's your point caller?"

Just a wee heads up to roadworks being done (from P&B)

GiveΒ yourself a little extra time to get there.Β Scottish water have been doing work on the main road just beforeΒ CappielowΒ and it can get backed up pretty far, especially with a largerΒ than normal crowd expected

Weather forecast looks pretty ropy over the next 24 hrs, anyone any idea when this would be played if tomorrow night is postponed? Planning on heading down with my daughter, but probably wouldn't be able to make a rearranged game, so holding off on buying tickets at the moment.

On 2/7/2024 at 8:48 AM, MJC said:

I stand by my prediction of us to wear our change kit even though we don’t need to (I know, I know, commercial reasons etc) and for us to lose.

Kit Watch

We will be wearing our home kit for this match.

• Haha 2

On 2/7/2024 at 8:48 AM, MJC said:

I have the fear big time for this one.

Hopefully SK keeps the same team, if possible, but if he makes unnecessary changes and we go out then the pressure will be right back on him.Β 
Β 

I stand by my prediction of us to wear our change kit even though we don’t need to (I know, I know, commercial reasons etc) and for us to lose.

Honestly, if you " have the fear" after we just scudded a rival 5-0 and played some really good football, and are playing against a team that is 4th in the Championship, then when exactly would you ever be confident?

18 minutes ago, David said:

Honestly, if you " have the fear" after we just scudded a rival 5-0 and played some really good football, and are playing against a team that is 4th in the Championship, then when exactly would you ever be confident?

That is my feeling....let them worry about us.

6 hours ago, Chanzeypopz said:

Morton are on some run atm we looked like a whole new team on Tuesday. Wont be easy but i think we will win 2-1

A wins a win Chanzeypopz even at one nil for us but I think you could be right, however, Tuesday’s win and the way we went about it makes me feel we may score more than two.Β 
Β She wore she wore

Looking forward to the game, despite playing Morton which seems regularly in recent times it always seems to be at Fir Park, perhaps best forgetting our last jaunt to Cappielow though under Baraclough. I don't think the stadium has changed all too much since my last visit in 1991.

Morton are currently enjoying their longest unbeaten run in like 40+ years, I think they have went 13 without defeat so far so it'll be nice to bring that to an end tonight. That midweek win has certainly changed the mood somewhat and our recent form is also looking better, hopefully that clinical edge remains as that's what eluded us against Killie and St Johnstone.

I see they have a few former 'Well players in the shape of Robbie Crawford and Darragh O'Connor not to mention quite a few veterans like Broadfoot, MacDonald and Power, Imrie has also added many of his old Accies buddies to the squad. It'll be a tough nut to crack but looking forward to a real cup atmosphere, old school ground (with 2000+ 'Well fans) and hopefully we can be the first name advancing into the hat for the quarter final.

Just a reminder that it's a 7.30pm KO.

Β 

14 hours ago, David said:

To be honest, I just don’t trust Motherwell to win Cup ties. Not just this one, but any cup tie. Even if we were clear in 3rd place in the top flight and seven unbeaten I still wouldn’t trust us to win ties like tonight. We have an inbuilt loser mentality as a club and I’ve seen us blow too many opportunities in cups to ever be truly confident.

Needless to say I desperately want us to win tonight. I’m not interested in a good spectacle, or the romance of the Cup or the likeliness of lower league sides beating top flight sides in Cup competitions statistically or by the balance of probabilities or any of that nonsense. Cup ties are all about winning and that’s all I am interested in.

40 minutes ago, MJC said:

To be honest, I just don’t trust Motherwell to win Cup ties. Not just this one, but any cup tie. Even if we were clear in 3rd place in the top flight and seven unbeaten I still wouldn’t trust us to win ties like tonight. We have an inbuilt loser mentality as a club....

Who has an inbuilt loser mentality?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Who has an inbuilt loser mentality?

Think we all know who they are.

It'll be a typical cup tie against lower league opposition who will be hyped up to the max by wee Imrie.

All down to our attitude on the night and getting out the starting blocks early.

An early goal would be nice.

• Like 1

It's going to be howling there tonight. This might bring them down to our level, eh MJC ? πŸ™‚

This would normally be a 'home' game for me, living on the Isle Of Bute, but the switch to Friday night has fucked it for me, cause I'm working. Cup ties should be Saturday at 3.00 PM or Wednesday nights at a push (like the good old days).

As other's have said, there's a contraflow a bit before the ground (down to one lane in each direction) which can clog at busy periods, so be prepared. It won't matter on the way home 'cause you'll be waxing lyrical about our 6th goal.....

Tuesday's game has definitely changed the mindset for tonight and there is a lot more optimism.

However this will be a tough game and they have 2 strikers on form and a lot of experience. Hopefully Power gets himself sent off early on, really physical player and I would fear him crocking young Lennon if he starts.Β  Β Maybe if Halliday is ok we go with same starting xi as Tuesday.

COYWΒ 

36 minutes ago, grizzlyg said:

Tuesday's game has definitely changed the mindset for tonight and there is a lot more optimism.

However this will be a tough game and they have 2 strikers on form and a lot of experience. Hopefully Power gets himself sent off early on, really physical player and I would fear him crocking young Lennon if he starts.Β  Β Maybe if Halliday is ok we go with same starting xi as Tuesday.

COYWΒ 

On paper we're too strong for Morton, but we'll have to earn the win tonight. I don't think we're good enough to sit back for the first 20 minutes or so, give them the glass jaw, and let them run out of steam. Whilst not being overly physical we need to compete with them in midfield and get wellied in.Β  Guys like Power and Broadfooot are no spring chickens being 36 and 39 respectively. Whilst they may have experience, Have they got the legs?