Aberdeen v Motherwell 14/02/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, mfc said:

Don't really know what to make of that,to be 3-0 up then happy enough with a point is pretty grim.the big concern throughout the whole of january was our forward options but there doing there bit and its our backline thats let us down again,the sooner we see the back of the majority of them the better.

Yes forward players doing there job. Devine good but defending poor from central defence. Keeper Kelly poor too. Needs replaced.

2 minutes ago, mfc said:

Don't really know what to make of that,to be 3-0 up then happy enough with a point is pretty grim.the big concern throughout the whole of january was our forward options but there doing there bit and its our backline thats let us down again,the sooner we see the back of the majority of them the better.

Most of us were calling out for a commanding centre-half to be signed during the transfer window, but, instead, we signed umpteen full-backs and Shaw, with some of them barely featuring or not at all yet.

SK’s loyalty to Liam Kelly is killing us. There was imo a lot of positives in some of our play tonight, some decent performances but defensively we are nervous wrecks and unfortunately it stems from the defenders lack of confidence in our keeper. 
I’ve never called for him to be dropped as I’d hope he’d turn the corner but it’s not happening and it’s time to get someone in there who has a bit of presence about him.

• Like 1

Just now, wellfan said:

Most of us were calling out for a commanding centre-half to be signed during the transfer window, but, instead, we signed umpteen full-backs and Shaw, with some of them barely featuring or not at all yet.

We still have the same central three that did so well at the end of last season, we just haven't been able to play them cause of injuries.

Brilliant to go 3 up but FFS we can’t defend or control a game .

2 big issues

1)the midfield can’t hold the ball. We missed Halliday. 

2) worst defence I’ve seen for quite a while . Every cross , every set play we look like we’ll concede .

we need to change the defence now . Whether it’s formation , players or both it needs to happen

Just now, robsterwood said:

Yes forward players doing there job. Devine good but defending poor from central defence. Keeper Kelly poor too. Needs replaced.

Aye Kelly is over the place at the minute and we umpteen defenders to pick from but it's the same outcome no matter who plays,defensively were a shambles.

• Like 1

When they made the double substitution at 3-0 it was our throw-in. We really have to do better than just handing the ball back to them. Who was marking Gartenmann for the second? Devine was at fault for the third and hopefully he'll learn from that.

Really not sure what to make of that tonight. Credit for storming into a lead, albeit against a bonkers Warnock lineup, and credit for regaining a foothold in the last half hour. The nature of our collapse on the half hour mark though sets off alarm bells, particularly after a panic stricken performance at Cappielow. Our in-game management, both from the players and the sidelines, to respond to adversity, has been dreadful. 

• Like 1

The positive from tonight is that Bair is great when we're playing attacking football that suits him. He'll score many more goals with assists from the likes of Gent and Spittal. Vale also looks to be a great find and was unlucky not to score tonight, but I'm sure he'll score several for us. The less said about the defending and goalkeeping, the better. 

1 minute ago, mio said:

SK’s loyalty to Liam Kelly is killing us. There was imo a lot of positives in some of our play tonight, some decent performances but defensively we are nervous wrecks and unfortunately it stems from the defenders lack of confidence in our keeper. 
I’ve never called for him to be dropped as I’d hope he’d turn the corner but it’s not happening and it’s time to get someone in there who has a bit of presence about him.

Absolutely agree. It looked to me like some of the defenders had lost patience with him at half time. Reminds me of the panic Stevie Woods was able to create in what was a very decent defence.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

I'd have been happy with a point beforehand but to lose a 3 goal lead in such a collapse. Serious questions do need to be asked about our defence. The same weaknesses week after week. Are they being coached?

I'm sure they are being coached. 

2 minutes ago, wellfan said:

We definitely needed a centre half in january,somebody to come in and help steady the ship and maybe give the rest of them a boot up the arse,we have enough defenders on our books and not one of them are pulling there weight,I guess we will see the likes of blaney and casey brought back in but I don't expect that will make any difference.

Jeezo, that feels like a defeat. Had to watch on mute the "commentary" was so one-sided. Kevin Clancy very card-happy towards us, got nothing off him tonight. Arsehole.

Doesn't take away from the fact we blew it, the players workrate and organisation once we were 3-0 up looked like they thought the game was won after 30 minutes. Really, really poor game management. The defence needs an overhaul, Butcher has not been great since returning and McGinn has looked a bit out of sorts at LCB - maybe time to move him back over and get Casey, Blaney or O'Donnell (did well on right of the 3 when asked) in there. Not seeing much wrong with our disallowed 4th -thought it had to be a clear error?

VAR will hopefully GTF, re-refereeing the game it's a shite addition to football. Also thought a potential foul throw in build up to one of their goals, need to see it again but don't think I can re-live that game. Jesus wept...

4 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

We still have the same central three that did so well at the end of last season, we just haven't been able to play them cause of injuries.

That's true, except Butcher has returned and is half the player he was, McGinn is a little out of sorts on the left, Casey seems to be playing second fiddle to Mugabi because perhaps still unfit, and whatever defenders are picked have to defend with a cowardly lion behind them anyway.

4 minutes ago, mio said:

Aye think he needs to be taken out of the firing line for a while, get back to basics and try to recover his confidence.

The Ox might be ok but having only seen him play twice in 2 years I'm not even sure if he's any good. Kettlewell seems as if he's not convinced either.

6 minutes ago, Mad Dog said:

When they made the double substitution at 3-0 it was our throw-in. We really have to do better than just handing the ball back to them. Who was marking Gartenmann for the second? Devine was at fault for the third and hopefully he'll learn from that.

the 3rd when you watch it back the last touch comes of devine

5 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Absolutely agree. It looked to me like some of the defenders had lost patience with him at half time. Reminds me of the panic Stevie Woods was able to create in what was a very decent defence.

Correct. Echoes my previous post.

• Like 1

Just now, Chanzeypopz said:

Think alot of us would have been pretty happy with a point at Pittodre after our horrible result on Friday...but to draw after being up 3-0 is another hard pill to swallow 💔

We are 7th and yes its gutting but Aberdeen are a decent side. I'll take that.