2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

I feel this is where Motherwell as a club lack a little. The likes of hearts, st Mirren etc seem pretty proactive in getting pre contracts tied up nice and early where as we don’t. 9/10 we are half way into a window with half a squad. It worked out very well when getting the likes of Declan Gallagher in early etc. Just think for us to progress as a club with financial constraints we have that it’s best to get out early and get they deals done before others, I totally understand a lot of players will want to wait until the summer as there may be better offers but clearly some players do go for it.

1 minute ago, supermarv said:

I feel this is where Motherwell as a club lack a little. The likes of hearts, st Mirren etc seem pretty proactive in getting pre contracts tied up nice and early where as we don’t. 9/10 we are half way into a window with half a squad. It worked out very well when getting the likes of Declan Gallagher in early etc. Just think for us to progress as a club with financial constraints we have that it’s best to get out early and get they deals done before others, I totally understand a lot of players will want to wait until the summer as there may be better offers but clearly some players do go for it.

Some substance in that, but having the money certainly helps. A lot though, is to do with final league placings. Hearts and St Mirren both kow they won't be relegated whereas we don't yet know for certain. This uncertainty will colour negotiations.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Some substance in that, but having the money certainly helps. A lot though, is to do with final league placings. Hearts and St Mirren both kow they won't be relegated whereas we don't yet know for certain. This uncertainty will colour negotiations.

Spot on Dave, the money On offer from clubs like Hearts, plus the prospect of European football etc is a no brainer for a player like Spittal, he'll probably double his salary without any need to uproot his family and move house.

11 hours ago, stv said:

Why would hears give a shit about that

Out of respect. There would have been no great disadvantage in Hearts keeping quiet. I don't buy the line that the announcement was to pacify their fans. To some extent its hung Spittal out to dry, although you could argue that he was hoisted by his own petard. That said, I would say to our club  that they don't need to treat Hearts with great respect in future. They'll reap what they sow. 

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

They'll also be getting a lot more prize money and an extra Old Firm match finishing Top 6.

But let's face it, Spittal was never staying.  We are lucky to get one good season out a player these days before they are snapped up.  

Hopefully we don't get any of that boo boy nonsense.

14 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Youd like to think not.

We got a guy in on terms that suited us. He played well for 2 seasons (has been exceptional this season) and has got himself a bigger move off of those performances.

The deal has worked for both parties and he is a great example for us to showcase to other prospective new signings.

Its the model we have to work with now, so we need to get used to it.

Would havr been nice if we had managed to get top 6 sooner and pushed the boat out for him, but realistically Hearts would still have been able to top that.

Good luck to him.

He will have my support until the end of the season.

16 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Let's hope they sign too many and die again. They're a rancid club with an equally rancid fanbase. 

I understand the sentiment.

But they didnt really die.

Only Rangers did that. 😉

• Haha 1

Nicholson could possibly fill Spital's role next season, with a good pre season he looks like he could be decent, Tierney also really young and loan move and hopefully some game time has benefited him so might also be a contender to fill the gap 

45 minutes ago, Fergie79 said:

Nicholson could possibly fill Spital's role next season, with a good pre season he looks like he could be decent, Tierney also really young and loan move and hopefully some game time has benefited him so might also be a contender to fill the gap 

Tierney's been on the bench at Walsall lately. Honestly, I've never seen anything from him that made me think he'd ever be a regular starter for us.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

The keyboard illuminati are already suggesting we send him on gardening leave and replace him with 17 year olds or Butcher. Not that you'll hear their boos at Fir Park.

26 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

The keyboard illuminati are already suggesting we send him on gardening leave and replace him with 17 year olds or Butcher. Not that you'll hear their boos at Fir Park.

What is actually wrong with these people. Lamie didn't get that treatment when he signed a pre contract 

1 hour ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Smashing wee song though...according to the halfwit that pollutes this place

Smashing non bigoted,  friendly , fair and accommodating support, according to him as well. 

Spittal has been impressive, particularly since Slattery's injury, which I I believe has a lot to do with the balance we've needed in midfield + coincides with when Bair has been a perm fixture. 

It was always going to be a Hearts /Hibs/Abderdeen type move. Fair play to him and wish him all the very best.

He has been a rare commodity beyond his goals - a Motherwell player who's not spent weeks in the Physio room. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Spittal has been impressive, particularly since Slattery's injury, which I I believe has a lot to do with the balance we've needed in midfield + coincides with when Bair has been a perm fixture. 

It was always going to be a Hearts /Hibs/Abderdeen type move. Fair play to him and wish him all the very best.

He has been a rare commodity beyond his goals - a Motherwell player who's not spent weeks in the Physio room. 

Teams like Motherwell must have a mostly injury free season if they are to do well. With our budget we do not have the depth in quality after the first team the bigger budget teams have. When regular first team has been settled and same team every week that makes for consistent results . Thinking about McCalls good seasons and Robinsons were mainly injury free.
It wasnt that long ago everyone was slating Spital for being shite , a good run , a few goals and hes brilliant now. When he goes to Hearts he will always be the poor relation signed from a wee team on a free , if it doesn’t work out they have not lost much in the scheme of things budget wise. I think he will end up a bit player there. Ie KVV. 

19 minutes ago, stv said:

When he goes to Hearts he will always be the poor relation signed from a wee team on a free , if it doesn’t work out they have not lost much in the scheme of things budget wise. I think he will end up a bit player there. Ie KVV. 

I don't think he will be a bit player, Hearts are signing a proven goal scorer in the premiership a midfielder with a goal tally most strikers would love over a few seasons. For me he'll be an integral part of their team.

44 minutes ago, Spiderpig said:

I don't think he will be a bit player, Hearts are signing a proven goal scorer in the premiership a midfielder with a goal tally most strikers would love over a few seasons. For me he'll be an integral part of their team.

Agreed Allan. Like us, perhaps Hearts are finding the English market, in which they fish, too expensive money wise, and are having to scale back their ambitions. If they sign more Premiership players, that will confirm this theory. 

25 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

Agreed Allan. Like us, perhaps Hearts are finding the English market, in which they fish, too expensive money wise, and are having to scale back their ambitions. If they sign more Premiership players, that will confirm this theory. 

Rumours that Phillips from St Johnstone next to sign up with them.

Hoovering up all the SPL talent by the looks of it.