2024/25 Ins & Outs Discussion

David

1 minute ago, grizzlyg said:

Seriously? Would be incredible but I would imagine wages would be an issueΒ 

No really. I just made up a more inspiring rumour to cheer Steelboy up. I mean, surely the Scougall one's pish too - aΒ  guy approaching 32 who's spent the last 4 years at Alloa. The only possible way that would make any sense would be if we get relegated.

Are these names coming from any reliable source, or just some randoms online?

• Haha 3

The only thing more eye-stabblingly painful than the annual "writing off new players we have signed" ritual is the annual "writing off players we haven't signed" ritual.Β 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, robsterwood said:

LolπŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

More likely to be headmistress Trunchbull from Matilda and Adam Campbell of Crawly town. πŸ˜‚

Β 

It's the chokey for you! πŸ˜†

• Haha 1

40 minutes ago, weeyin said:

The only thing more eye-stabblingly painful than the annual "writing off new players we have signed" ritual is the annual "writing off players we haven't signed" ritual.Β 

InnitΒ 

29 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Take your point, but if it turns out we're signing 30+ year olds from Scottish League One in the summer, you can probably write next season off.

32 minutes ago, bobbybingo said:

Take your point, but if it turns out we're signing 30+ year olds from Scottish League One in the summer, you can probably write next season off.

You're proving my point.Β 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wellfan said:

According to 10 years of Premier League data, the prime age for a midfielder is 25-26, then there is a drop-off after 30.

Davor, Slattery, and Paton are all at their peak with a few good years left, Spittal is at his peak, Miller is just getting started, and Halliday, Easton and Scougall have peaked. Do we need that many midfielders in their early 30s? No. At best, one or two would be worthwhile and experienced additions to the squad.Β 

I'm all for signing local players, but let's not become a convalescent home for the older ones.

https://theathletic.com/2935360/2021/11/15/what-age-do-players-in-different-positions-peak/

It's all just rumours anyway but I'd rather have a good older player than a so so younger one ...looks like Slattery will be off...I might be in minority but Davor still has a bit to go for me...maybe a full pre season will help

3 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

It's all just rumours anyway but I'd rather have a good older player than a so so younger one ...looks like Slattery will be off...I might be in minority but Davor still has a bit to go for me...maybe a full pre season will help

Where did you see that about Slattery?

9 minutes ago, Great Balls of Shire said:

Davor has time on his side to allow him to develop into a good SPL defensive midfielder.Β 

Slattery is probably looking for a fresh start post-injury, which is understandable.Β 

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Where did you see that about Slattery?

Well his contract is up, so I guess that's part of it.

A lot will depend on his recovery time post surgery; I could see us offering him another year with a (preferably club controlled) further option to extend.

I have no idea whatsoever about SK's contract negotiations with Liam Kelly, nor should I. However if we are keen to retain his services then it has to be framed as part of a far wider package. To me that isn't worth it, as he's not that crucial to our defensive capabilities.

If we are to retain him, we'll need a formation and wing backs capable of preventing crosses into the box.. We'll also need to sign two huge and commanding central defenders to protect him from aerial threats. Thats an awful lot to ask in order to keep your goalie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kmcalpin said:

I have no idea whatsoever about SK's contract negotiations with Liam Kelly, nor should I. However if we are keen to retain his services then it has to be framed as part of a far wider package. To me that isn't worth it, as he's not that crucial to our defensive capabilities.

If we are to retain him, we'll need a formation and wing backs capable of preventing crosses into the box.. We'll also need to sign two huge and commanding central defenders to protect him from aerial threats. Thats an awful lot to ask in order to keep your goalie.

Completely agree Dave. Kelly is a good shot stopper but the other parts of his game are limited, especially commanding his box and dealing with crosses.Β 

I'm sure we could recruit an equally talented shot stopper who is a better all round keeper than Kelly on the same or even less money.

• Like 3

Our recent record of replacing and improving on first team main stays isn’t great .

to expect we can simply replace Kelly ( a national squad member) with someone both cheaper and better has an element of hope rather than certainty .

irrespective of who is in goals we need to ensure we have 2 goad wingbacks and 2 good centre halves as a minimum . Thats not to protect Kelly per se - that’s needed for the formation and style of footballΒ 

1 hour ago, wellsince75 said:

Our recent record of replacing and improving on first team main stays isn’t great .

to expect we can simply replace Kelly ( a national squad member) with someone both cheaper and better has an element of hope rather than certainty .

irrespective of who is in goals we need to ensure we have 2 goad wingbacks and 2 good centre halves as a minimum . Thats not to protect Kelly per se - that’s needed for the formation and style of footballΒ 

Very true. Don't know if anyone remembersΒ John Gardiner or Stevie Woods? Still have the fear thinking about them in goal.

😱😱

1 hour ago, robsterwood said:

Very true. Don't know if anyone remembersΒ John Gardiner or Stevie Woods? Still have the fear thinking about them in goal.

😱😱

And Samson!!  Would have been better off with Delilah.........ba........😜😜

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mortonhallwell said:

I'm sure we could recruit an equally talented shot stopper who is a better all round keeper than Kelly on the same or even less money.

I doubt it. While we're all over here slagging Kelly off, we conveniently forget the absolute bomb scares we've had previously.

That's the problem with having a few decent keepers over the past 15 years or so. Fans think that they're easy to come by.