Countdown to the Split

wellfan

7 minutes ago, Chanzeypopz said:

I think this will either be a draw or a real hammering if Aberdeen dont show up like they have done previously

If we assume Aberdeen will be at the top of their game and we compete very well, we won't go far wrong. 

I have a nagging memory of Aberdeen coming to Fir Park on a terrible run and then beating us 5-6.

I hope we avoid any complacency and give them a sair skelping.

For some reason (probably their sense of entitlement) their fans annoy me almost as much as those of The Cheeks.

12 minutes ago, Happy Dosser said:

I have a nagging memory of Aberdeen coming to Fir Park on a terrible run and then beating us 5-6.

I hope we avoid any complacency and give them a sair skelping.

For some reason (probably their sense of entitlement) their fans annoy me almost as much as those of The Cheeks.

Aye they did think that was during the Billy Davies era, as for a sair Skelping as nice as that would be, I'll settle for any sort of win and 3 pts.

Still a lot to play for in the remaining pre split games of course, but I think we'll be good for finishing the penultimate section of the league in 9th spot and we should hold onto that position post split. To do that, we need to pick up 2 more points in the remaining 3 matches and we're capable of doing that. Draws against St Mirren and Hibs should ensure that and a win, although unlikely, would mean we exceed that target.  My guess after 33 games  is:

Aberdeen 8th on 37 points

Us 9th on 34 points

St Johnstone 10th on 29 points

Ross County 11th on 27 points

Livingston 12th on 17 points.

A few months ago we'd have died in a ditch for 9th or even 10th spot.

I wouldnt be giving up on top 6 just yet.

Hibs go to Ibrox next and we have St Mirren at home.

If we could beat them it could be down to 3 points going into the last 2 games.

If we can match their result against St Johnstone it will be all to play for in the last game.

Goal difference is tight enough to still go in our favour.

We need Rangers to despatch Dundee today though......

Top 6 is beyond us and even before yesterday was always going to be a huge ask. 7th spot will also be very ambitious and I think 8th is a more realistic target. Thats about our average historical perch. I think Aberdeen will have just too much about them and will claim that though. In their last 2 games they've tightened up considerably at the back as we've seen.

I can see us scrambling 2 points from our next 3 games. St Mirren will be a tough one - don't expect them to come to Fir Park and play open exciting football. They'll sit back and fight for supremacy in the midfield. As we saw yesterday, thats not our type of game. If we score first though, that might help us considerably. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Top 6 is beyond us and even before yesterday was always going to be a huge ask. 7th spot will also be very ambitious and I think 8th is a more realistic target. Thats about our average historical perch. I think Aberdeen will have just too much about them and will claim that though. In their last 2 games they've tightened up considerably at the back as we've seen.

I can see us scrambling 2 points from our next 3 games. St Mirren will be a tough one - don't expect them to come to Fir Park and play open exciting football. They'll sit back and fight for supremacy in the midfield. As we saw yesterday, thats not our type of game. If we score first though, that might help us considerably. 

Not so sure they’ve tightened up at the back, we scorned a decent number of chances. 

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

Not so sure they’ve tightened up at the back, we scorned a decent number of chances. 

It seems fair to suggest that Aberdeen and Motherwell are probably on par with each other this season in terms of where we'll both finish, although, given their budget, they should be performing better and be higher up the league. Both teams have similar W/D/L stats, so I expect both will finish no higher than 7/8th at best.

On 3/17/2024 at 5:40 AM, Kmcalpin said:

Top 6 not gone just yet. Need to rely on other results and win 3 In a row (or maybe win 2 and draw 1) so I agree it’s perhaps not likely but by no means dead and buried, yet! 7th is quite achievable. Any team can beat any other team on a given day so for me it’s all still up in the air

1 hour ago, texanwellfan said:

Top 6 not gone just yet. Need to rely on other results and win 3 In a row (or maybe won’t 2 and draw 1) so I agree it’s perhaps not likely but by no means dead and buried, yet! 7th is quite achievable. Any team can beat any other team on a given day so for me it’s all still up in the air

like the optimism :)  and it's far better tonic than a pessimistic view. 

For me our issue has been consistency, we'd need to go on a run that we've not been able to do all season but like you say it's possible and can't think of a better time to go on said run. 

• Like 1

On 3/17/2024 at 9:21 AM, joewarkfanclub said:

I wouldnt be giving up on top 6 just yet.

Hibs go to Ibrox next and we have St Mirren at home.

If we could beat them it could be down to 3 points going into the last 2 games.

If we can match their result against St Johnstone it will be all to play for in the last game.

Goal difference is tight enough to still go in our favour.

We need Rangers to despatch Dundee today though......

We will not beat Dundee in Dundee nor St Mirren at Fir Park. Top six will be done and dusted by the time Hibs come calling. If we lose to St Mirren and Ross County beat Aberdeen its a real bun fight for the play off spot.

2 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

We will not beat Dundee in Dundee nor St Mirren at Fir Park. Top six will be done and dusted by the time Hibs come calling. If we lose to St Mirren and Ross County beat Aberdeen its a real bun fight for the play off spot.

All results are possible.

You wont be surprised to know my glass will remain half full.......

.......until its confirmed to be half empty! 😆😆😆

3 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

that's cool, be boring if we all viewed things the same way

FWIW I dont expect us to beat St Mirren, Dundee or Hibs. I just live in hope.

Im not sure I could keep turning up at Fir Park if I thought we were going to lose every week. (Not that Im saying thats your position.) 

I know its the hope that kills you, but I cant help myself! 😆

30 minutes ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

Don't agree. 

36 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

FWIW I dont expect us to beat St Mirren, Dundee or Hibs. I just live in hope.

Im not sure I could keep turning up at Fir Park if I thought we were going to lose every week. (Not that Im saying thats your position.) 

I know its the hope that kills you, but I cant help myself! 😆

I turn up in hope but always expect to get beat.

1 hour ago, FirParkCornerExile said:

I think we're more than capable of drawing with St Mirren and Hibs. Can't see Ross County beating Aberdeen. Don't forget St Johnstone too as they don't have an easy run in.