Motherwell v Aberdeen 16/03/2024

SteelmaninOZ

1 minute ago, Mad Dog said:

If you're crap at your job, do you want a sweaty mob surrounding you and calling you cunt or would you rather discuss it with your line manager?

Let’s look at it a different way. Who do you think makes the most mistakes in a game? Players or the ref? Who is trying to deliberately cheat? The players. It might be said in less harsh terms but basically players routinely try to cheat. So maybe they sort themselves out before running the refs into the ground. I used to referee a lot of high school games her and often used the phrase, “once you’ve made less mistakes than me then I might listen to you”. That usually kept them quiet for a while. Especially when their mates found it funny!!  Of course a lot tougher dealing with the pros, plus, at least the HS kids were trying to play an honest game. 

• Like 1

Look what happened at Tynecastle when the only decision the referee got wrong was awarding Celtic a penalty. Verbal and very public abuse from Managers, players and ex players for decisions he....and VAR... got correct. Their only 'error' was having the balls to send off a Celtic player for dangerous and reckless play and also award the first domestic penalty against Celtic this season. I agree our officials are shocking but even when they get decisions correct they are under attack. No wonder they bottle it against certain teams. I wonder if there would have been such uproar had Motherwell, Kilmarnock or even Hearts been on the end of those decisions? Well really I don't. I know the answer.

And Aberdeen will manipulate and influence the referee this weekend, which they have been very good at since the days of Miller and McLeish. We on the other hand just seem to irritate the officials. 

I sometimes think of the referees in a little bit different way in that they are not so much there to make the correct calls (I know they are but hear me out 😃) but more so the be the person who picks the call when there is a disagreement. “He pulled me! No I didn’t he pushed me”! So the ref decides. “That was handball”, “No it wasn’t” so the ref decides. As stated above, there are numerous incident every game where the ref may make a correct call but one of the teams completely disagrees and many instances where both teams disagree with each other and so the ref is the one to make the call.  I think there is a lot that could be done from both officiating side and club side if they really wanted to improve things. 

1 hour ago, wellfan said:

It works both ways. If refs want to be treated with more respect, they should stop being fucking useless at their jobs.

They’d be quite entitled to say the same about many players.

• Like 1

I may have to go download the rules again. So many changes over the past while I’m not 100% sure what they are anymore. I’m not sure if it’s included with the rules but FIFA also have guidelines on how the refs should apply the rules or Interpret them and that would be good to read also. I would assume that now there are also documents pertaining to VAR which might be interesting to read. Regardless Of what is out there, there is definitely an issue related to the consistency of some officiating calls which I think falls fair and square at the feet of the officials organization to sort out. 

1 hour ago, bobbybingo said:

No new manager before our game, according to Burrows. 

Looks like the rumours about Lennon being a shoe in and being announced in the next couple of days might not be true then unless they're haggling over wages or else Flow has been reading all the Dons fans forums.

No new manager bounce then.

45 minutes ago, santheman said:

Looks like the rumours about Lennon being a shoe in and being announced in the next couple of days might not be true then unless they're haggling over wages or else Flow has been reading all the Dons fans forums.

They've drawn up a shortlist of interested parties and targets currently managing elsewhere, but they haven't even approached their clubs for permission to speak to them yet. Sounds like a complete shambles.

2 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

They've drawn up a shortlist of interested parties and targets currently managing elsewhere, but they haven't even approached their clubs for permission to speak to them yet. Sounds like a complete shambles.

If they have a shortlist then Lennon will be on that 😅

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, texanwellfan said:

If they have a shortlist then Lennon will be on that 😅

Along with Willie Miller and Mark McGhee hopefully.

10 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

They've drawn up a shortlist of interested parties and targets currently managing elsewhere, but they haven't even approached their clubs for permission to speak to them yet.

Will they even bother? Given their track record, they may just approach the person in question or their agent directly.

2 hours ago, Kmcalpin said:

Will they even bother? Given their track record, they may just approach the person in question or their agent directly.

Do they have enough money to buy out another manager's contract? I thought an out of work candidate would be thier approach.

1 minute ago, Kmcalpin said:

It appears that Jon Obika is injured. No idea if it's just a minor knock or something more serious. 

It appears that I and I dare say very few Motherwell fans are surprised to hear this. :rolleyes:

22 hours ago, santheman said:

By fuk that would be hilarious if it was him. Job done come back in agent Flo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, grizzlyg said:

In total tangent.... watching Partick v Raith.  James Brown for Raith went down feigning injury..... Thistle player raging and said to him.  " Get Up .....Get on up........Get up...Get on up"

Ah'll phone my taxi 😜😜😜

James Brown at RossCo is no stranger to feigning injury too.

2 hours ago, star sail said:

Is there any chance at all that Stuart Kettlewell could be on Aberdeen's shortlist?

Given their recent track record there's a chance I could be on Aberdeen's shortlist.

• Haha 1