Motherwell v Aberdeen 16/03/2024

SteelmaninOZ

You can also this blunder to the list...our first home game against Aberdeen, when a clear penalty was missed because it was very late in the game and it was switched off. Was that decision ever reviewed?

31 minutes ago, si91 said:

I’ve watched the highlights on tv and McCann gets it spot on - it’s high up on the sleeve against Bair and more towards the elbow for Shinnie. There is a panel that reviews the VAR decisions at the end of each round of games and I’m sure there will be an acknowledgment of the errors in this game; but that’s pointless (just like us yesterday). If we end up in the play-offs by a point, will the SFA or the SPFL save us? No chance. 

When VAR was brought in, it was for clear and obvious errors; the scrutiny required to see Bair’s handball (??) tells you that it was clear or obvious. Collum was standing facing the Shinnie one, with an uninterrupted view - that’s surely clear and obvious.

As many others have said, VAR isn’t ruining the game; it’s the poor humans who are operating it. We had poor officials before VAR and all we have done, is out the same poor officials in front of a tv screen. 

Brilliant post - sums it up to a tee 

12 hours ago, wellgirl said:

Completely disagree re Ebiye. Irrespective of the mistakes Kettlewell made today think he knows better than us if someone is fit enough to be brought on. 

No professional football manager is going to take up a subs place on the bench with a player who is not fit to play as you never know how the game will go and what cover might be needed.

So SK knew Ebiye was fit to play, hence his inclusion in the squad, but bringing on two academy players, both of whom are nowhere near ready for the 1st team  instead of him when we were chasing the game was an error.

15 minutes ago, wellwell91 said:

We should ask for the audio between Collum and VAR bet it would make an interesting listen.

NOT a chance of it being released 

The whole set up is not fit for purpose, bargin basement technology operated by officials of questionable ability and overseen by a culture of secrecy and no liability or acknowledgement of errors.

The clubs have the power to get changes made and make the process more transparent and accountable but I won't be holding my breath waiting for that to happen.

10 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Launch that fucking VAR. as I’ve said repeatedly they’re now moving to actively seeking ways to “disallow” goals. Its killing the game and I bet I’m not the only person that’s nearly had enough.

completely agree - purpose like a few have mentioned is to correct an obvious error. 

Feels like there's a bunch of people desperate to prove their value in each and every game, who quite frankly we don't need.  There's enough hangers on in footy as it is, having bunch of non players looking at freeze frames is a nonsense. 

Even with freeze frames I really can't see how Bair handled the ball. Goal should have been allowed.

Re Shinnie - for me and in the spirit of the game, thats never a penalty either. I'd have been livid if we got a pen against us for that. 

• Like 1

If that had been a Sellik goal disallowed yesterday we would never have heard the end of it.

Separately though we were disappointing yesterday with wrong starting line up and our star players apart from young Lennon off form.   And a howler from Bevis which led to corner for their goal.  As I have said before a big loveable guy but prone to so many mistakes. Kelly also just looks like a guy with hee haw confidence.  I don't think he will make Euros squad now which would be so harsh on him but probably correct call

13 minutes ago, steelman1991 said:

Launch that fucking VAR. as I’ve said repeatedly they’re now moving to actively seeking ways to “disallow” goals. Its killing the game and I bet I’m not the only person that’s nearly had enough.

100% agree, I've just watched the sportscene coverage and both Var decisions were a feckin disgrace, and cost us the chance of at least a point yesterday.  We all have a laugh at the ugly sisters when the moan about bad var calls, but all the clubs should be doing the same and calling g this nonsense out as its verging on incompetence now by the alleged officials who get away with shite like we saw yesterday with no fear of censure.

• Like 1

Just watched the TV highlights and agree about the VAR calls. VAR would work fine its the officiating and inconsistencies that are ruining it.

From admittedly limited highlights, our defending looked horrendous yesterday and not just at the goal. The common theme is Aberdeen players being allowed time and space to do pretty much what they wanted in and around our box. From what I saw, Aberdeen did look better organised defensively than us and made us work hard for any effort on goal. In the coming close season, our defence needs an overhaul.

Against my better judgement, I watched about 15 minutes of the Wolves V Coventry game and the contrast with our defending was immense.  The game was faster and far more physical with both teams working damned hard off the ball to close opponents down and deny them any space.

17 minutes ago, wellsince75 said:

completely agree - purpose like a few have mentioned is to correct an obvious error. 

Feels like there's a bunch of people desperate to prove their value in each and every game, who quite frankly we don't need.  There's enough hangers on in footy as it is, having bunch of non players looking at freeze frames is a nonsense. 

Even with freeze frames I really can't see how Bair handled the ball. Goal should have been allowed.

Re Shinnie - for me and in the spirit of the game, thats never a penalty either. I'd have been livid if we got a pen against us for that. 

I've heard this idea before, if check takes more than 30 secs, it's not clear and obvious, original decision stands , var should've been a good thing but they're wasting it. It's only the paying public who aren't been listened to though.

Our ‘Goal’

The referee had a clear and unobstructed view and he didn’t see anything wrong with it. No Aberdeen player thought there was anything wrong with it. Three highly experienced ex-professional players didn’t think there was anything wrong with it. Some faceless clown in a TV studio in Glasgow took 4 minutes to examine it before calling the referee to the pitch side monitor.

There were 3 big decisions last week at Tynecastle and the match referee and VAR got them all wrong. If all of these incidents don’t send a clear message to the SFA that their use of the VAR system is utterly wrong then nothing will.

• Like 1

Let me raise this point. As we all know, there have been occasions where VAR, has been proved wrong and an apology forthcoming from the hierarchy etc. If we could follow horseracing, where a horse gets disqualified, but, thereafter owners appeal, the original stewards result is then reversed and the 2nd awarded the race. Imagine if that was brought into football, wherby instead of an apology, a goal is correctly given or correctly ruled out, therby resulting in a change of result, now that would be a large can of worms to open. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wee Dougie said:

Let me raise this point. As we all know, there have been occasions where VAR, has been proved wrong and an apology forthcoming from the hierarchy etc. If we could follow horseracing, where a horse gets disqualified, but, thereafter owners appeal, the original stewards result is then reversed and the 2nd awarded the race. Imagine if that was brought into football, wherby instead of an apology, a goal is correctly given or correctly ruled out, therby resulting in a change of result, now that would be a large can of worms to open. 

Couldn't possibly work. Every goal changes a game and the way both teams approach it. Imagine a team was one nil up in a must win game to avoid relegation, lost a late-ish equaliser which was subsequently chopped off for handball, sat in and got the 3 points to stay up. Then, a day or two later, the decision is reversed and they're relegated. The fall-out would be epic.

1 hour ago, Wee Dougie said:

I like the concept but the difference is that in horse racing the race is completed and so run out in full. The disqualification....or subsequent re-instatement.......happens after the race is completed. So it is easy to implement and the way the race is run is not affected.

Now, if games were to be replayed........

In all seriousness, I just want to go back to living with referee errors and controversy. It feels so much more painful nowadays and I put that down to VAR, or at least the people involved in coming up with random outcomes.

5 hours ago, bobbybingo said:

Couldn't possibly work. Every goal changes a game and the way both teams approach it. Imagine a team was one nil up in a must win game to avoid relegation, lost a late-ish equaliser which was subsequently chopped off for handball, sat in and got the 3 points to stay up. Then, a day or two later, the decision is reversed and they're relegated. The fall-out would be epic.

The fall out is Epic at the moment. 

4 hours ago, dennyc said:

I like the concept but the difference is that in horse racing the race is completed and so run out in full. The disqualification....or subsequent re-instatement.......happens after the race is completed. So it is easy to implement and the way the race is run is not affected.

Now, if games were to be replayed........

In all seriousness, I just want to go back to living with referee errors and controversy. It feels so much more painful nowadays and I put that down to VAR, or at least the people involved in coming up with random outcomes.

But the race isn't re ran, the decision is overruled as the officials made a pigs ear of their decision. 

1 hour ago, Coatsy said:

What we need is transparency every other sport can transmit the audio between the VAR and th Ref why is that not done in football?

If its not conclusive the onfield decision stands

If I heard the audio I'd probably be twice as pissed off as I am just now.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, santheman said:

If I heard the audio I'd probably be twice as pissed off as I am just now.

Willie's comments should have been, that there was no need to call me over to the monitor Steven as per the rules it's only the scorer we can penalise for handling it.

But this is Scottish refs we are talking about, I mean surely after Kettlewell's complaint about the similar incident against County earlier in the season that refs take interest in these types of things. It's just mad to think that if the ball brushed a defender's bicep instead there would not have even been a mention of a penalty. I'm actually feeling quite scunnered by VAR tbh, I know it's the arseholes using it that's to blame but the inconsistencies and looking for any small thing to penalise someone is massively frustrating. 

I know I'm getting all precious about it but if it continues down the same path I can see myself opting to do something different on a Saturday afternoon.