New CEO Named

Well-Made

BRIAN CALDWELL APPOINTED CHIEF EXECUTIVE

11:00
Brian Caldwell appointed Chief Executive

We can confirm that Brian Caldwell will join the club as Chief Executive on 2nd April 2024.

Brian has a wealth of football experience spanning over almost 30 years, having served as Chief Executive of Ayr United, St Mirren and Shrewsbury Town in England.

“I would like to take this opportunity to welcome Brian to Motherwell,” Chairman Jim McMahon said.

“As one of the most experienced football Chief Executives who has worked in both Scotland and England, we feel Brian will be a huge asset to Motherwell Football Club. 

“The board and the Well Society are all looking forward to working closely with Brian when he starts in a couple weeks.

“I also want to record my personal thanks to Derek Weir for stepping into the CEO role last year. Derek has now been involved with the club in various roles for over 14 years.

“We are extremely grateful for the time commitment and the significant contribution he has made to the club during that period.”

“I know how important Motherwell Football Club is to the local community, the fans and generations of families who support the club,” Brian Caldwell added.

“I am delighted to be joining and to be part of the exciting future that Motherwell Football club have in front of them.”

https://www.motherwellfc.co.uk/2024/03/22/brian-caldwell-appointed-chief-executive

I've been downbeat about the lack of a permanent CEO and moaned about the issues that this has appeared to have caused. A consequence of this saga is that it has had me worried that the current Board would panic and appoint a balloon. However, Caldwell looks like an excellent appointment. Onwards we go. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Big Stall said:

When can we say owe naw he's pish?

Probably next time we lose an early goal against a bottom six side. He'll be an amateur thats oot his depth that should have binned Kettlewell last October.

Good to get someone in post 

Hopefully he has the necessary skills and experience to be a success.

It also hopefully means that the Well Society has exerted some control/authority over the investment opportunities and we will take our time to find the right one for the club rather than just dropping our drawers at the first offer.

9 minutes ago, joewarkfanclub said:

Good to get someone in post 

Hopefully he has the necessary skills and experience to be a success.

It also hopefully means that the Well Society has exerted some control/authority over the investment opportunities and we will take our time to find the right one for the club rather than just dropping our drawers at the first offer.

Having a permanent CEO, instead of a departing Chairman and interim CEO, should put us on a more stable footing in terms of accepting potential incoming investment as their new job is on the line. This scenario probably reduces the pool of potential investors, but I don't think that is a bad thing. The next few months leading up to the summer will be even more interesting now. 

3 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Having a permanent CEO, instead of a departing Chairman and interim CEO, should put us on a more stable footing in terms of accepting potential incoming investment as their new job is on the line. This scenario probably reduces the pool of potential investors, but I don't think that is a bad thing. The next few months leading up to the summer will be even more interesting now. 

I agree.

I also like that we appointed the CEO and he is therefore more likely to work in the interests of the club/society than one appointed by an investor.

Shrewsbury fans seem to love him and he appears a big supporter of fan culture / community. Seems like a good fit.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport/football/shrewsbury-town-fc/2023/05/03/shrewsbury-town-fans-pay-tribute-to-departing-chief-executive-brian-caldwell/

• Like 1

Glad we have finally got someone on board,he seems to come highly recommended from fans of his previous clubs so that's a positive straight away,here's hoping this is the first bit for some stability for the club moving forward.

17 minutes ago, wellfan said:

His first task should be to boot Bob Park into the sun. 

I disagree, his first act as CEO should be collating the head of social media and getting them to remove that dreadful patronising nonsense “we exist to improve people’s lives” from all platforms. 

That’s what I would do anyway.

1 minute ago, MJC said:

I disagree, his first act as CEO should be collating the head of social media and getting them to remove that dreadful patronising nonsense “we exist to improve people’s lives” from all platforms. 

That’s what I would do anyway.

Aye, we're well aware from reading your posts that the club brings you nothing but misery.

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Mad Dog said:

Looks as though he was able to introduce safe standing a Shrewsbury. That could be of interest.

This somehow rekindled a memory.

In the coo-shed quarter final Scottish Cup v Forfar when one of the goals went in resulting in a pile-on and poor fella at the bottom came oot wae a broken leg. That's how I mind it anyway.

And then, Graeme Forbes's header v Celtic in semi, had great view of it, missed post by an inch.

9 hours ago, Yabba's Turd said:

ye raging? :D

No I wanted a new CEO and we have one. I'm taking it as a sign that the takeover stuff has died off a bit as well. 

Now we can prepare for whatever league we are playing in next season. 

Spoke to a friend of mine who worked for St Mirren during period new CEO was there . 
They said he is a get things done kinda bloke , well respected ,good at engaging with people  and were sorry to loose him as he definitely made a difference .

So hopefully (fingers crossed )he can bring the same qualities to FP

Hopefully the transition period over next week will give him a handle on things and he can hit the ground running .

Now for the next part re . the investment side . 

The appointment probably throws up more questions than answers re .investment side but I’m sure we’ll find out soon where we’re going with that . 
Im also pretty sure the new guy must be comfortable-relaxed with the ongoing negotiations as otherwise why would he have accepted the appointment. 
Anyway things seem to be moving along now