Motherwell Vs Livingston 04/05/24

TheoBair14

5 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell's Motherwell TV interview is like he's won a Nobel Prize rather than beat David Martindale's Livingston. 

Don't you just hate positivity? That can"t be helpful when you're a sports professional. 

42 minutes ago, Tamwell said:

You must sit near me, that guy was an absolute walloper.

Yeah. I was about five rows back from him at the end of a row so I saw him stand up and start shouting. He was screaming right at Spittal as you probably saw and he obviously wasn't happy when other fans told him to pipe down then he was wanting to fight folk at half time. I think he didn't think other fans were going to challenge him. I don't know exactly what he said but I think he was shouting at him to fuck off to Hearts. Spittal was just about to take a corner at the time as well. 

11 minutes ago, steelboy said:

Kettlewell's Motherwell TV interview is like he's won a Nobel Prize rather than beat David Martindale's Livingston. 

Maybe he's just happy that we're safe 

Just back from pub after celebrating a Saturday afternoon victory.   Not spectacular but a fine victory,  Nicholson goal..woooooooofff.   

No negativity and hopefully we can have a good finish in last 3 games...COYW

Happy with a 4-1 win 

Wasn’t a classic at all , but take a 4-1 win anytime.  Seen some negative comments already on the likes of Facebook about beating Livi etc but I’d rather just enjoy the 3 points and try focusing on the positives 

11 minutes ago, twistandshout1983 said:

Happy with a 4-1 win 

Wasn’t a classic at all , but take a 4-1 win anytime.  Seen some negative comments already on the likes of Facebook about beating Livi etc but I’d rather just enjoy the 3 points and try focusing on the positives 

Well, County couldn’t beat them last week! Thought we had some excellent play in flashes

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, texanwellfan said:

Well, County couldn’t beat them last week! Thought we had some excellent play in flashes

I think in the first half there wasn't a lot between the teams and it was clear Livi were fighting hard. But I think the penalty and Nicolsons goal settled us. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mcguru said:

One less plastic pitch to deal with.

Mon Killie get the lawnmower out.

I think Killie are going back to grass in 2025-26, and not a moment too soon. Rugby Park used to be a great surface in The Olden Days.

Freaky Fact: Motherwell are back to being top scorers outwith The Cheeks this season on 50 goals so far, twice more than relegated Livi and Snore-a-Bore St Johnstone.

Mind you, having Levein as your manager can't be easy if you're a football lover.

15 minutes ago, wellgirl said:

I think in the first half there wasn't a lot between the teams and it was clear Livi were fighting hard. But I think the penalty and Nicolsons goal settled us. 

Yes. I thought we had a slight edge though. Didn't see the penalty clearly at the game, but Sportscene pundits agreed it looked like deliberate armball. On the basis of a poor TV angle, I tend to agree. 

Livi's chalked off goal? Bizarre. We were sat not far away and it seemed like a clear foul on McGinn but ref never gave it. Then Pittman scores and its chalked off. Correct decision though. 

Odd VAR check late on for red card. I thought the 2 players were tussling and Butcher was fouled first. Denying a clear goalscoring opportunity?? Correct decision though. 

Defeat to Aberdeen, 9 page thread. Four one win and guaranteed top league status, four pages. 

Says a lot about some of our support and forum members. Some people are only happy when they're ragin'.

COYW.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, AllyMax said:

Defeat to Aberdeen, 9 page thread. Four one win and guaranteed top league status, four pages. 

Says a lot about some of our support and forum members. Some people are only happy when they're ragin'.

COYW.

True, although its not peculiar to this forum. How many newspapers or TV news bulletins promote good news stories? It's human nature to wallow in negative stories. Plenty of talking points in yesterday's game. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

True, although its not peculiar to this forum. How many newspapers or TV news bulletins promote good news stories? It's human nature to wallow in negative stories. Plenty of talking points in yesterday's game. 

Not sure reporting world events about people dying in wars has much to do with 'Well fans being happier when they can moan about SOD. 

23 minutes ago, weeyin said:

Not sure reporting world events about people dying in wars has much to do with 'Well fans being happier when they can moan about SOD. 

True to a certain extent although the principle remains the same. If you're happier to extend this comparison to local rags then they're full of crime reports, controversies, road accidents; deaths; crumbling schools; terrible planning applications and political shenanigans etc (based on recent Dundee Courier articles).  The odd good news item is chucked in. I'm depressed just thinking about it! Its an old adage that good news/events don't create interest. In short, this Forum is no different to society as a whole.

I'll post my, hopefully balanced, match summary in the morning to try to stimulate some debate.

8 hours ago, AllyMax said:

COYW.

Losing will always generate more comments than winning.  It's just the nature of it.

When we lose every supporter will have his own ideas as to why - line up, tactics, subs, in game events etc.  That will produce discussion among the forum members.

When we win most people will be happy to post their thoughts and then move on as winning doesn't tend to produce the same level of alternative or individual views.

People will always disagree when we lose, very rarely will people disagree as to why we won.  That's usually fairly obvious.

Delighted we're in the mix with Hibs/Aberdeen for 7th. 

Be interesting to see if further changes will be made to starting 11 in remaining games.  Nicholson and some of the other fringe players may get a bit more game time. 

Must be a tricky balance as finishing 7th rather than 9th will strengthen the budget  for next season v's giving some players a bit more time to show what they can do. 

Was looking at the squad and had forgotten about Calan Elliot the NZ right back that joined until end of the season.  Assuming we'll never see him. 

33 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

Losing will always generate more comments than winning.  It's just the nature of it.

When we lose every supporter will have his own ideas as to why - line up, tactics, subs, in game events etc.  That will produce discussion among the forum members.

When we win most people will be happy to post their thoughts and then move on as winning doesn't tend to produce the same level of alternative or individual views.

People will always disagree when we lose, very rarely will people disagree as to why we won.  That's usually fairly obvious.

But if the ones who constantly post negative comments could balance it with positive ones when we win ...that'd be good but sure they'll pop up next season, if not this season.

Our second biggest win of the season, which secured our top flight status for another year, so theres plenty to be positive about. Thoroughly deserved. At worst we'll finish 10th, and a few months ago many would have settled for that, including me. 

I thought yesterday's line up was a bit of an odd mixture in midfield and didn't know what to make of it. Maybe a one off for the Livingston game?  It looked pretty positive on paper, albeit with only 1 striker, but the midfield looked  lightweight without a clear defensive player and some mobility. Early on Livi caused us trouble on the break as they drove through our midfield. Having built up a clear lead we sat back a bit and they enjoyed plenty of possession, without troubling Kelly apart from cross balls/corners. We defended too deeply and it was inevitable they'd score at some point, given our default defensive frailties and their physical prowess. Some of the overelaborate faffing about at the back, usually involving Kelly, frustrated many. That said, he didn't do much wrong. Thems the negatives and there has to be some, given no performance is ever perfect. I suspect SK & SF will have identified far more negatives than I have.

Plenty of positives though and they markedly outweighed the negatives above. We won 4-1, so SK's planning was proved right for the day. We played some very open entertaining football in spells and converted not a few chances. The defence did what it had to do in the main, with the exception of a few lapses.  I thought Georgie Gent was a standout, with his pace and crossing.  Lennon Miller was impressive too, although I'd like to see him play a bit further forward. Spittal was better than of late but Nicholson caught the eye and topped off a good showing with his spectacular goal that will be remembered by many for a very long time indeed. One for the history books. Up front the Bair played very well and was MOTM. His headed goal was a peach and his overhead effort really deserved better. Very pleasing to see Harry Paton take to the field. He has his faults, but we have missed his energy big time in midfield. Encouraging too, to see Luca Ross get a few minutes at the very end. All in all, an entertaining day for the fans with a practical outcome which will be recognised by the SPFL, in their decision to award us 3 points.      

PS: I think Theo Bair has now broken Louis Moult's season's best, of 15, by a goal.     

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, wellfan said:

Enjoyed that. Nice to see the win has brought out the sanctimonious pricks as well.

That probably weren’t even at the game. There’s little more sanctimonious and mouthy than an armchair/firestick Motherwell fan trying to take the moral high ground with match going fans.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Kmcalpin said:

PS: I think Theo Bair has now broken Louis Moult's season's best, of 15, by a goal.     

That is an interesting and surprising stat.... amazing that Biereth leaving and Obika being out all season has had such a positive impact and we have a very high sellable asset on our hands now.... hopefully continues progress next season ideally with us...

Regarding next season worrying Halliday is signed on, a reasonable signing on paper but looks a few yards off Premiership pace, a drop down to Championship would suit him better I think.

• Like 1